Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: SUP

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Been paddling out at the marina during shark week. Me thinks I'll be fine. Just a hunch that the landlord is far far away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    rabid brine skrimps and salt flies
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Oh and I ment to call ya
    Sups in the truck
    With the shuttle hardtail on the back
    Work in 4-10
    Then on the Jordan
    Probs put in 4500ish
    Take out at 2100
    Target rich environments
    But shitty shore access/casting room
    Attachment 337157
    No whitewater
    Brown to greenish but better vis than bear
    Outbound.call is outbound to you as soon as I finish this important comment
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8170.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	337173

Been out 3x per week since mid July.

Paddle upstream for an hour and cruise back down. I can already feel strengthening in my core. Lower legs feel great after a session, similar to several laps in soft chop.

My favorite thing about the sup is the perspective it provides, looking down into the water instead of across the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    My favorite thing about the sup is the perspective it provides, looking down into the water instead of across the surface.
    Agreed, took ours to lake Powell, so cool watching fish darting around in the rocks and stuff. Wife likes the kayak better, but I can't sit down that long, kills my back. The SUP allows me to move around and stretch more. Her kayak is better for carrying the beers though.

Funny how this thread is so positive. I remember another SUP thread from a few years back where everyone was shitting on SUPs and how dumb they were.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i guess 3 is a quiver
    the be nanna one still needs a couple hours of patching
    the bumper nose is fucked
    i did buy a new boardworks kevlar paddle
    then forget and proceed to crack a pooper in the skull with it
    no damage to either but im sure that carp saw a few stars if not a solar system
    as far as white water
    well yeah
    a skilled tribesman can send any arrow downrange or river
    aka its the Indian not the arrows
    Quite true, but life doesn’t always have to be a battle. I can ski my 80’s in powder, but I have more fun with something wider.
    2 boards lest not a quiver make or whatnots.

Not my video, but was at about the flow we ran it. Something a little shorter with some rocker will help keep the nose up a little better. It was a 14 mile run and working most of the time, so yeah, I’ll take a little help at this stage.

my wife picked up a SUP in spring, been on the local lake a ton and loves it. last week while camping I finally jumped on it and dam if I did not have fun. even caught a nice lake trout spin casting off of it.

now I am in the market, need to research some more but know I want inflatable with removable fin and enough space for cooler and fishing gear.

not a ww sup paddler but as a long time WW kayaker I have observed cuz the sups have paddled at the local play wave for a number of yeasr so I have watched a lot of them swim and the good guys ride

there is a huge fucking difference in a WW board they are shorter/ wider/ thicker for more flotation/ way more rocker

the smart guys wear knee pads/ elbow pads/ helmet and a dry suit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

SUP

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Agreed, took ours to lake Powell, so cool watching fish darting around in the rocks and stuff. Wife likes the kayak better, but I can't sit down that long, kills my back. The SUP allows me to move around and stretch more. Her kayak is better for carrying the beers though.

Funny how this thread is so positive. I remember another SUP thread from a few years back where everyone was shitting on SUPs and how dumb they were.
    I'll be bringing mine to the desert this fall. Looking forward to some flatwater and red rocks.

My first SUP experience was on a cheap inflatable that couldn't keep my feet out of the water. After that I was not a fan of SUPs at all.

It wasn't until this year that I had several chances to ride quality inflatable and a few hard boards that I discovered how stable and buoyant a good SUP really is. I've wanted a packable watercraft for a while, and for a guy that doesn't do whitewater, the SUP is the most convenient solution IMHO.
    Last edited by jackattack; 08-14-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    not a ww sup paddler but as a long time WW kayaker I have observed cuz the sups have paddled at the local play wave for a number of yeasr so I have watched a lot of them swim and the good guys ride

there is a huge fucking difference in a WW board they are shorter/ wider/ thicker for more flotation/ way more rocker

the smart guys wear knee pads/ elbow pads/ helmet and a dry suit
    Pads/helmet are a must. I have a dry suit, just haven’t really used but I should have had or hydroskins. Even though it’s hot as fuck outside, spend enough time in some waters and you can get hypothermic.

So appreciate all the tips it really helped. Went out to lost creek and stood up and went about 500 yards on first try. Then ate crap on 2nd try. Classic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	337244

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Kinda like sliding on snow for the first time. Spend some time and the balance will become more unconscious like a groomer.

Mighty Meykong a pre TR

Trip report coming as soon as I can get my photos to load correctly.
    Paddled down the Nam Ou river in Norther Laos and then did the Meykong River from Chian Khong Thailand to Luang Prabang. About 500 kms total.
    Here is a few quick snaps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA9C9C8C-D6C3-4715-BC6A-6C6A4710EC1E.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	724.3 KB 
ID:	341849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	433.8 KB 
ID:	341850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_841.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	545.6 KB 
ID:	341851
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

^^^ dam BD... yeah, im interested in a TR.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    ^^^ dam BD... yeah, im interested in a TR.
    +1

Hell ya. I would love to tour a river in a foreign land. A friendly one of course.

Mighty Meykong a pre TR

First leg of the Journey
    Vancouver to Hanoi via Hong Kong
    Bought the Honda Dream scooter in Hanoi and rode it to Ngong Khiaw via Na Meo border crossing.
    Zoom in on a google map from Sam Nuea via route 1c to get a sense of how windy the roads are.
    Insane !
    From Ngong Khiaw to Ban Sopchem by boat to start my paddling down the Nam Ou to Luang Prabang.

Photo TR to come shortly.

What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

recs for lightweight paddle? carbon or ??? Christmas gift for the wife

Carbon fixed shaft - cut to length and glue the handle in place to get to the proper total height. Anything adjustable adds weight and points of failure.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Carbon fixed shaft - cut to length and glue the handle in place to get to the proper total height. Anything adjustable adds weight and points of failure.
    ^ This works great if you don't have the need to pack it up and travel.

Otherwise, I've got a 3 piece carbon shaft from Hala that is super light and packable, while still really stiff for paddling. It's nice to be able to break it down for trips and winter storage.

thanks. 3 piece sounds appealing for storage and travel, will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    thanks. 3 piece sounds appealing for storage and travel, will check them out.
    This is the one that came with my paddleboard that I bought in May, and it's awesome: https://www.irockersup.com/all/irocker-paddle/
    I lent this to a friend who was in the market for a new paddle recently, and he loves it. I have a lighter race paddle because I've outgrown that paddle. But it was great for everything including longer 10-12 mile paddles on my iSUP.
    bc-lovah

PS I'm laughing at how someone said this thread is way more positive than previous threads on SUPs where people were shitting on SUPs. It's all what you make of it. I outgrew my iSUP 3 months after I bought my first one and now have a solid 14' SIC Bullet which is the most fun thing ever in windy waves. People can make fun of SUPs all they want (and I've seen some hilarious posts), but if you really get into it, it's freaking amazing how far you can go!
    bc-lovah

Absolutely DG!

Been hammering hard on multiple sup disciplines and its about getting out what you put into it.

After 4 decades of whitewater kayak stand up surfing on river waves brings the fun back into the water. I even love doing flat water both attainments and down river runs.

My latest angle is wing sup. Lots to learn there but zooming across the water with wind power is fantastic.
    watch out for snakes

SUP appears to be good for the WW paddling clubs cuz it boosts the numbers which have never been great to begin with and now you got some WW kayakers aging out
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

FYI, iRocker has a crazy sale going on right now, boards up to 50% off and accessories up to 75% off: https://www.irockersup.com/all-boards-sale-2022/

Bought an All Around 10' for the fam yesterday.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-05-2022 at 04:04 PM.