Page 11 of 197 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    For some trails I wish they would allow ebikes with the motor switched off (instead of banning them entirely). A bunch of the local loops have a dirt road up and then a singletrack down. I'm happy riding the whole loop since I like the workout but people obviously shuttle it (legally, assuming the trail itself is legal). I'd rather see a few guys (and gals) riding up on ebikes and then riding down the trail with the motors off than deal with a bunch of cars going back and forth to run a shuttle. On the down the motor isn't going to make any difference anyway (except weight).

Though if people start using ebikes to climb predominately "down" singletrack that's normally too steep to climb I'm going to get annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    All the arguments about ebikes being the same as shuttles, or ebikes making things too easy, or how much the bikes cost, are entirely missing the point.

If people want to ride ebikes, that's fine. Have fun.

But they're not mountain bikes because mountain bikes don't have motors. Glossing over that fact and treating them like they're mountain bikes is going to get trails closed for everyone, and it's going to make it harder to open new trails. Maybe there needs to be a new user classification between mountain bikes and dirt bikes, but that's for the ebikers to sort out with the land managers. Until then, ebikes are motorized vehicles, and they need to stick to moto legal trail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Ever notice how urban people who only spend small amounts of time in the forest get so jacked up about any little thing “destroying” the forest....but people who live and work in the forest manage not to get all bunched up about tire tracks or “erosion”. There’s a fire in the woods....oh god it’s DESTROYED! There’s a rut in the trail, oh god it’s been DESTROYED!!! Somebody shot target practice, it’s DESTROYED

Meanwhile that’s literally every day, every hour, stuff in a small town farming or logging area. CONSTANT DESTRUCTION....call your congressman, keep everyone who’s not into artisan coffee and craft beer and “silent sports” 10 miles away at the closest. END THE DESTRUCTION

I

I spend months at my cubicle building up my idea of what the woods look like and/or should be, reading my john muir books at night before bed. And I'll be damned if I'm going to let reality conflict with that when I show up in my #vanlife sprinter I've been building out for 2 years. I will not let you interfere with my wilderness experience!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    obviously they dont have the right of way on trails that they are prohibited from being on altogether. figured that was a given
    we are lucky with our handful of user designated trails though where one doesn't have to worry about it
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    To be clear, I said I usually pedal one lap on the dh shuttle trails . I figure I can ebike pedal almost(not quite) 3 laps with the same workout or I could shuttle 6
    I also said I was theorizing how they could be used with no conflict. I also said they wouldn’t be good to use for our out and back alpine rides , because of conflict, and I didn’t think they would be good on our 2 way xc trails
    I repeated all of that^^ atleast twice so I figure you’ll cherry pick something I’ve posted to fit your bias. So carry on.
    I think I confused your posts with some of californiagrown's, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    obviously they dont have the right of way on trails that they are prohibited from being on altogether. figured that was a given
    we are lucky with our handful of user designated trails though where one doesn't have to worry about it
    I know, but I couldn't resist the snark!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Ever notice how urban people who only spend small amounts of time in the forest get so jacked up about any little thing “destroying” the forest....but people who live and work in the forest manage not to get all bunched up about tire tracks or “erosion”. There’s a fire in the woods....oh god it’s DESTROYED! There’s a rut in the trail, oh god it’s been DESTROYED!!! Somebody shot target practice, it’s DESTROYED

Meanwhile that’s literally every day, every hour, stuff in a small town farming or logging area. CONSTANT DESTRUCTION....call your congressman, keep everyone who’s not into artisan coffee and craft beer and “silent sports” 10 miles away at the closest. END THE DESTRUCTION

I
    Heh, this. I'd be happy to show anyone concerned about the impact of e-bikes a few of the USFS/DNR sanctioned clearcuts near my house. It's amazing the damage a D8 and a Timbercat can cause in an afternoon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180624_153654862.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	241771
    Here's a photo from a recent hike I did. Photo taken in a former whitebark pine/subalpine fir forest on a ridgeline in the East Cascades. Mixed Private/DNR Land. At least 1000 acres scorched earth style logging. Meanwhile the bike purists are concerned with bicycles that go slightly faster than normal, and the USFS/DNR are busy trying to crack down on unsanctioned trails because of the "impact"(?) they cause. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ebikes are illegal on all non-motorized USFS (and BLM) trails.
    Outside of Park City and maybe some Moab trails, I wonder if this is enforced at all in Utah. Hell, other than some citizen policing by mtn bikers, I doubt there’s much ebike enforcement at all. I’ve seen ebikes on Crest a few times and on Big Water just a few weeks ago. I bet none of the riders had any clue they were breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    heh, this. I'd be happy to show anyone concerned about the impact of e-bikes a few of the USFS/DNR sanctioned clearcuts near my house. It's amazing the damage a D8 and a Timbercat can cause in an afternoon.

Edit, here's a photo from a recent hike I did. Photo taken in a former whitebark pine/subalpine fir forest on a ridgeline in the East Cascades. Mixed Private/DNR Land. At least 1000 acres scorched earth style logging.
    The flip side is in a lot places rural folks, especially hunters and anglers, are some of the most committed conservationists anywhere. I'd bet groups like Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation do more and are more concerned habitat than the combined efforts/donations of urbanites. Smaller rural land owners often set aside acreage for habitat too.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The flip side is in a lot places rural folks, especially hunters and anglers, are some of the most committed conservationists around. I'd bet groups like Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation do more and are more concerned habitat than the combined efforts/donations of urbanites. Smaller rural land owners often set aside acreage for habitat too.
    You have to understand that a lot of these groups full of urbanites and their donations don't actually genuinely care about what they say they care about. A staff member of winter wildlands recently walked out of a collaborative stakeholder meeting in Northern California regarding snowmobile management. Why did he walk out? Because the local xc skiers/snowshoers were actually coming to agreeable scenarios on management with the snowmobilers and they didn't agree with this guy who lives 6 hours away who just wanted as many closures as possible.....all while claiming to the be the 'voice of local human powered backcountry users'. They come up with a mission and reality be damned they're just going to do what they do because that's what they do. A director of a local OHV group asked someone from the California Wilderness Association basically 'when is there enough Wilderness'. The answer was 'well our donors say they want more wilderness'. Hammer sees only nails kind of thing. It's a joke. A sad joke that screws up the lifestyles of people who have sacrificed a lot to live close the areas they love. Very little of it based in reality, or data. When you never see the woods, you have no idea what 'normal' is.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    aint really got a dog in the fight
    but if i put any motor on the sup or driftboat i wont be able to float motor less waterways
    and im not seeing much difference on land
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Heh, this. I'd be happy to show anyone concerned about the impact of e-bikes a few of the USFS/DNR sanctioned clearcuts near my house. It's amazing the damage a D8 and a Timbercat can cause in an afternoon.

Name:	IMG_20180624_153654862.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	241771
    Here's a photo from a recent hike I did. Photo taken in a former whitebark pine/subalpine fir forest on a ridgeline in the East Cascades. Mixed Private/DNR Land. At least 1000 acres scorched earth style logging. Meanwhile the bike purists are concerned with bicycles that go slightly faster than normal, and the USFS/DNR are busy trying to crack down on unsanctioned trails because of the "impact"(?) they cause. Go figure.
    Just because some land is clear cut doesnt mean other land shouldn't be protected.

There are so many variables...

It should be totally ok to run motos in the wilderness and through salmon streams (hey some people don't know better) and make alpine meadows into rutted out mud bogs because... logging.

How bout build some moto trails on that clear cut?

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The flip side is in a lot places rural folks, especially hunters and anglers, are some of the most committed conservationists anywhere. I'd bet groups like Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation do more and are more concerned habitat than the combined efforts/donations of urbanites. Smaller rural land owners often set aside acreage for habitat too.
    Fuck Ducks unlimited and other "conservation" groups who hide behind a thinly veiled attempt for private land grabs and rich urbanite donors.

Sorry, carry on with ebike argume.....err discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    The Rocky isn't a Shimano motor, it's an all in-house design. It uses a motor from their eVox bikes in their "mousetrap" design.
    Oh yea you're right. All proprietary so when something blows up you've better hope you're close to a Rocky dealer with parts.

I've heard some French Briancon Portes riders have gotten screwed getting orphaned without parts

I can't ride my bicycle, the motor is broken!!

Sorry......that's really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I can't ride my bicycle, the motor is broken!!
    I feel that way far too often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eBikes are for fags and the handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    So you must have a couple of them.

I fucking hate ebikes. But you teed it up so nicely, and I like both "fags" and the "handicapped", so get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Agreed

Name:	IMG957637.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	241787

As a gun fag and someone terminally lazy when it comes to cardio, I am very excited about the idea of having a downhill bike that pedals itself uphill. Eagerly awaiting a 200mm+ travel class1 e-bike.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Fuck Ducks unlimited and other "conservation" groups who hide behind a thinly veiled attempt for private land grabs and rich urbanite donors.
    If your beef is similar to Woo's then that makes sense. My experience is less forest and more farmland. There are a lot of small one acre or so ponds and sloughs that would otherwise be drained for arable land if it wasn't set aside. Then there are strips of forest at the edge of fields that serve as big game and pheasant habitat, etc. The wider strips, especially, are often conservation easements.

No doubt some of the money comes from urban donors but a lot of it comes from fund raising efforts like duck stamps, fish fries, and raffles, along with matching donations from local businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    So you must have a couple of them.

I fucking hate ebikes. But you teed it up so nicely, and I like both "fags" and the "handicapped", so get bent.

Clever, fag.
    As a gun fag and someone terminally lazy when it comes to cardio, I am very excited about the idea of having a downhill bike that pedals itself uphill. Eagerly awaiting a 200mm+ travel class1 e-bike.
    You are a lazy fag.

Meat bike > Ebike

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Meat bike > Ebike
    Because it tastes delicious I bet