Grip Walk with Old Look Pivots

I just mounted some grip walk lifters on my DRS 140.
    Will these work on my old lift Pivots Turntables?

I think you'd need to get different AFDs? I assumed that when I bought CAST this year, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I think you'd need to get different AFDs? I assumed that when I bought CAST this year, but I could be wrong.
    Shit, i dont think i can replace the afd on this bindings.

I bought replacement grip walk afd's for my pivots. Not sure what year pivots are needed to make them work. I just looked at them and can't find a part number.

I pulled them off and put some flat lifters on. That grip walk shit is ridiculous. I had no idea what i was signing up for. .

Are they the metal 15/18 toe or the plastic 12/14 toe? Metal toe just jam that shit in there, she’ll buff.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    I pulled them off and put some flat lifters on. That grip walk shit is ridiculous. I had no idea what i was signing up for. .
    This.
    Just bought a new pair of boots and they have that stupid grip walk. Thankfully come with standard din soles to put on instead. Seriously people can't walk all of a sudden?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

That grip walk shit is ridiculous.
    Never had or wanted a signature till now.
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Curious what people who have actually climbed around on rocks with GW soles think of them.

Having hiked some sketchy shit with xmax 130s, I can confidently say I would not recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Curious what people who have actually climbed around on rocks with GW soles think of them.

Having hiked some sketchy shit with xmax 130s, I can confidently say I would not recommend.
    It very much depends on the individual brand/boot. Do they use rubber soles or TPU? How soft or hard? Any midfoot traction? PU or Grilamid shell?

With most GW models, though, I feel like you're more or less getting the climbing/scrambling ability of an alpine sole plus a small amount of additional traction. Better than a pure plastic alpine sole? Sure. All that big of a difference? Not really (especially compared with the soles you get on true touring models.)

GW AFD's for Pivot 12/14 = Look part no. FCHF004
    GW AFD's for Pivot 15/18 = Look part no. FCIF010 - and with a minor tweak with a craft knife will fit ye olde P15/18's

I just bought a used pair of Hawx XTD with GW, didn't really pay attention to it but now I'm starting to worry it might be a problem... Good thing I haven't bought any skis to use them with yet

I personally can't wait for gripwalk to go away. Are you skiing or going for a hike? Alpine "DIN" soles have worked just fine since their introduction in one form or another. Squishy, mediocre hiking soles are some boot companies idea of marketing to people that may get the most extreme part of their day walking across a parking lot or going for apres.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I personally can't wait for gripwalk to go away. Are you skiing or going for a hike? Alpine "DIN" soles have worked just fine since their introduction in one form or another. Squishy, mediocre hiking soles are some boot companies idea of marketing to people that may get the most extreme part of their day walking across a parking lot or going for apres.
    Certainly get why GW or boots with a "walk" function are marketed toward the aprés ski crowds and people who can't walk. However, there are also people who like to have plug-style boots, but don't like to fear for their life hiking things like the headwaters at big sky, Bridger, or some things at Silverton that make my butthole pucker.

Fact is, going to a full AT sole sacrifices a lot of performance. Finding a nice place of compromise is key for a lot of people, and some people are willing to deal with single injection shells while hiking so they can ski at max capability (FWT athletes still do it).

Never used GW before, but the fact that I can throw them into my mach 1s makes me hope that maybe I can take them into some more gnarly terrain where I really don't want a boot with a walk mode or the AT sole on my Zero Gs. There's a reasonable chance I'll be disappointed, but gonna give it a shot regardless!

/end thread derail.

Edit: TIL there's a thread that addresses this exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I bought replacement grip walk afd's for my pivots. Not sure what year pivots are needed to make them work. I just looked at them and can't find a part number.
    P12/14 or P15/18?

Apparently Look is saying that while the P15/18 can be retrofitted with a Gripwalk AFD, the P12/14 can not.

Did your bindings test after the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven View Post
    P12/14 or P15/18?

Apparently Look is saying that while the P15/18 can be retrofitted with a Gripwalk AFD, the P12/14 can not.

I took them
    Off. No reason to have that nonsense on my boot. Plus I don’t really test my bindings. I ride at 17. Ski fairly hard and weigh about 215. I break everything so I only ride all metal bindings.

^^^^just learned I’m a pussy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    ^^^^just learned I’m a pussy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    i wouldnt say that. I am just super hard on everything. Here is a great picture when I first moved to town. I had skied at Univ of Vermont for a couple years, was a 50 point sl skier and 40 point downhiller, I won JO Downhill in Mtn Snow, while at GMVS for a couple years. Did two stints in Europe racing FIS b's. Needless to say I was pretty amped to free ski when I got to town.
    Those are some Rossi 4g Race Stock gs skis, 207 cm, wood core with the original Derbi Flex on them. I was hitting Blazing Star under lift three at full speed all day. I landed the last time and, snapped my skis in half, one of the toe pieces blew off (i eventually found it). I had to walk down to lift 3, ride that up and download on the gondi.
    A crash like that would kill me today.
    Name:  broken skis.png
Views: 2619
Size:  601.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven View Post
    P12/14 or P15/18?

Trying to verify this.
    I have a few questions about the potential to swap the old pivot 14 5355 afd for a new GW afd..

First, is it worth it to use the old but good px 14s or go with the new attack 14s I have just opened. I like the pivots safety and stack height etc. Never used attacks. But old is old and the attacks are proven, solid, low and new. The bindings will go on the BO 104.

I could use DIN 5355 toe and heel plates on the boots to keep using old Markers and the pivots, but I can just use old boots for the old 5355 only binders.

Do you all who have mounted a lot of bindings and have more experience with reusing older pivots think is it a waste of time to try to put the old pivot 14s on a GW afd...and is it even possible without dremel work on the plastic GW afd to make it work on the old 14 toe piece? I think I saw a newdchoolers post by someone who did it but I could be wrong.

The pivot 14s are a decade old but were on skis that I didn't use much. Probably 50-60 days max.

The little rectangular opening on the 5355 toe piece on my old pivot 14s may to be plug and play with a new GW afd without modification.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231212_180237.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	927.9 KB 
ID:	479453

I suspect I could put a 5355 toe plates on my new boots and leave the GW heel plates and they would play fine with the old looks but not ready to try it.
    Set waves, powder days

i wouldnt say that. I am just super hard on everything. Here is a great picture when I first moved to town. I had skied at Univ of Vermont for a couple years, was a 50 point sl skier and 40 point downhiller, I won JO Downhill in Mtn Snow, while at GMVS for a couple years. Did two stints in Europe racing FIS b's. Needless to say I was pretty amped to free ski when I got to town.
    Those are some Rossi 4g Race Stock gs skis, 207 cm, wood core with the original Derbi Flex on them. I was hitting Blazing Star under lift three at full speed all day. I landed the last time and, snapped my skis in half, one of the toe pieces blew off (i eventually found it). I had to walk down to lift 3, ride that up and download on the gondi.
    A crash like that would kill me today.
    Name:  broken skis.png
Views: 2619
Size:  601.7 KB
    A broken ski is hardly a unique thing....

but I have never seen nor heard tell of someone breaking BOTH skis at the same time.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I have 2 pair 15/18 GW AFD's if anyone needs $25/pr shipped CONUS. PM me.
    Click. Point. Chute.

If the rubber sole doesn’t touch anything and your toe steps in without a kerfuffle, you’re good to go. Not legally, or course, but she bangs. You definitely don’t want the curved rubber sole rubbing on things.

Also, remember rubber alpine soles? Those worked great.