Cheap Skis at Evo

I must resist:
    2019 Dynastar Legend X 106, 173 and 182cm for $299.
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dyna...5922/clone.jpg
    2019 Black Crows Corvus, 176, 183 and 188cm for $399
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blac...9536/clone.jpg
    2019 Head Kore 99, 188cm for $299.
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/head...4864/clone.jpg

Dammit, those 183 Corvus would be killer for mid winter or big mountain touring. I love my 188s.

Does anyone have any beta on the Legend X 106? I have read Blister's review, and it sounds good overall, and $299 is real nice! I just have some age-old, pent-up bias to Dynastar. I know, stupid, but it's there due to 2 different skis I paid big for and couldn't stand! I need therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Does anyone have any beta on the Legend X 106? I have read Blister's review, and it sounds good overall, and $299 is real nice! I just have some age-old, pent-up bias to Dynastar. I know, stupid, but it's there due to 2 different skis I paid big for and couldn't stand! I need therapy.
    Yeah, lots of discussion here. The 182's are apparently gone.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ynastar-Thread

Got some 183 Corvus incoming!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Depends who you ask about the x106’s.

Ski reviews are all BS. It all comes down to skier ability/style/preference and conditions. My 2 word review of the x106 is “shit sandwich”. But then they are not at all the kind of ski I should enjoy. They’re stiff, light, and hugely tapered tip and tail. The mount point i like: traditionally far back.

At that price you could try them and lose little on resale if you had to move them.

Thanks for the help. Shit sandwich is all I needed to hear.

From one person? Lots of people consider them the one ski they'd own if they could only own one ski, although it sounds like the m-free will take those reins.

I would disagree with the shit sandwich comment. I love the ski, like how it turns and releases out of turns, its quickness, damp at speed through chop, all of it. The only thing I didn't like was on firmer snow and how my knees felt at the end of the day. That's why I got the x96 as my daily driver, which also skis incredibly well in almost all conditions. The drawback to that ski is at speed through chop. Then I want the x106. All in all, it's a great ski, IMO. But, to each their own...

Cheap Skis at Evo

Going just off that eh? “Shit sandwich” pretty indepth review. Lol. And that’s the first time I have heard someone hate that ski. Most love it, some wish it had a little more umph. Me included but thats only for about 10% of the time. I also don’t find them stiff by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    From one person? Lots of people consider them the one ski they'd own if they could only own one ski, although it sounds like the m-free will take those reins.
    Sounds like it and can’t wait to A/B the free to the x106 next year once I’m healed up. Probably buy the Mfree if it lives up to the hype I’m hearing from buddies who have been on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I would disagree with the shit sandwich comment. I love the ski, like how it turns and releases out of turns, its quickness, damp at speed through chop, all of it. The only thing I didn't like was on firmer snow and how my knees felt at the end of the day. That's why I got the x96 as my daily driver, which also skis incredibly well in almost all conditions. The drawback to that ski is at speed through chop. Then I want the x106. All in all, it's a great ski, IMO. But, to each their own...
    Same here except the hard pack knee issue.
    I like big radius, stiff damp skis and was a little leary of the x106 even though I really like the shape, similar to my beloved Lhasa FATs just with a much smaller turn radius. Boy was I shocked at how well they ski and how much damn fun they are. Only a few times did I wish they were stiffer in the tips when mobbing chop. They float crazy well for only 106 under foot. Several shredders I know who bought the X106 were completely blown away at how well it skied and how much fun it is yet has a mean streak if ya want to rage around.
    My full review is here for those interested.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Thread/page22

^^ I've always liked a tighter radius ski. In the skinny-ski days, I always skied a 205-207 slalom ski rather that a longer GS. I think it comes from my days as a bumper, mostly. Speaking of which, the x106 ain't that great in bumps but the x96 does really well. Again, a short radius ski that I can ski in long radius turns, not unlike the x106 in that regard. But, I understand how others like longer radius skis, although where we ski around here, being able to maneuver in trees is a plus, imo. Regardless, I've found the x96 to be the most versatile ski I've ever owned and only miss the x106 on days where a little more stability at speed in places like Lakeside Chutes would be advantageous and I left them in the locker.

As for my knees on firm snow with the x106, I have old knees and the extra width works them pretty well so they're sore at the end of the day. I want to preserve them as long as possible so the 96 is a better choice in those conditions.

I detuned the edges 2” into the side cut to straighten out the TR and to eliminate any possible hookyness. Worked exactly like I was hoping.
    Straight ski days, fond memories...
    I knew what you were saying about the knee issue. I should have clarified. They are a great ski for our area and for similar tight terrain resorts.

As a smaller dood I'm considering grabbing the 173, I love the 182 but sometimes they're a little big for me in the woods of Maine.