Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Why I dislike e-bikes

Extended Range, now trails that where once way out there, are way now way overused.
    E-Bikes turn the bike path into a road.
    Not a large enough trail networks most places to do 30+mi rides.
    E-bikes perpetuate stupid urban planning. Do they belong on Bike paths or not?
    As a species, we are a lazy lot. If there is an easier way, we will use it. but the e-bike helps provides sense of false accomplishment.
    E-bikes are in an awkward spot. They are too fast for bike lanes, too slow for roads, and highly inappropriate for sidewalks.
    Oozes of able-bodied privilege
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

This quote sums up ebikes (mopeds) to me. I can see their place at times, but pretty much all they do is get inexperienced riders out where they shouldn't be and don't have the skills to ride trails appropriately.

e-bike helps provides sense of false accomplishment
    Here, I'll fix this for you:
    Oozes of "non athletic"-bodied privilege

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Extended Range, now trails that where once way out there, are way now way overused.
    As a species, we are a lazy lot. If there is an easier way, we will use it. but the e-bike helps provides sense of false accomplishment.
    E-bikes are in an awkward spot. They are too fast for bike lanes, too slow for roads, and highly inappropriate for sidewalks.
    How do you feel about 2-stroke gas motor conversions?

https://reno.craigslist.org/bik/d/ca...158061514.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

Dude. That's spooky.

Why I dislike e-bikes

Motorized wheelchairs are a nuisance too. Who do they think they are?

The issue I see is how do you regulate? It’s like wearing headphones without sound. How do you know the motor is on an e-bike or if they are in manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    How fast is too fast for bike lanes? I routinely cruise at 25+ MPH in the bike lane and just draft off the lazy SOB e-bikers. I kind of like 'em.

I've seen dudes riding normal bikes while the wife rides an e-bike. So, there's a plus, if you want to spend time with your spouse, and they can't keep up with you.

Would you rather 49cc scooters being cruising around making noise, or an e-bike.

E-bikes have very little to do with urban planning. Urban planners screw up urban with no assist from e-bikes.

Imagine what e-bikes will look like in 20 years. I bet they will be e-hover bikes by then. That's pretty cool.

What's your feelings on utility scooters for the over-weight and elderly?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Heh, there’s a guy here with an almost identical setup. Gets him around OK. The mounts connecting motor to frame are a trip

On the way to ride some nice juicy berms at the bluff I seen an e biker moving at a good rate of speed while pedaling with his heels on the pedals, obviously he was just moving the pedals around so the motor would run
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Disclaimer: I'm a pedestrian

BAN ALL WHEELS!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a pedestrian

BAN ALL WHEELS!
    If we are going to enforce e-bike regulation then damn well enforce 15mph trail speed.

Take it to Sprocket Rockets

I’m not interested in ebiking singletrack, and I’m also not commuting or near an urban area; here’s a counterpoint of some possible uses that aren’t (i think) evil, trail abusive, annoying to other users, or problematic for agencies; maybe.
    I live 4 miles out of a small town, i can run in for groceries etc on a nice little two lane road without firing up my truck.
    I have lots of spring skiing options that are 5-25 miles with 3-5k vert behind locked FS gates for a month in spring. I’d rather not walk, or pedal with pack, skis, etc for day or even multi day trips. Trying to save the legs a bit here.
    All summer i can shuttle myself between trailheads on two lane roads for backpacking and peak bagging trips. Again, saving the legs and thinking outside my personal patterns. Also, hitching is tough these days.
    Maybe these are still dislikable uses, just throwing them out there.
    I recently sold my dual purpose moto to give the silent alternative a try; maybe I’ll be over it in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Why I dislike e-bikes

Meh, I’d take it down A-line

I'll let you know if I ever run into them 20mi out on a single track.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

I am just trying to commute a little faster when I ride to work and not be as tired when I get there. Hate me if you wanna, diss me if you’re gonna.
    And you will be happy to know it came via UPS or FedEx. I forget which.

ebikes for commuting are great. e cargo bikes are amazing, I put 4000 miles commuting on my longtail with a daycare dropoff/pickup in the first year. I rode 18-19mph on the bike path the same speed I would on my road bike. We can debate speed all day, 25 is way too fast and I think 15 is too slow for actually getting places but I think an enforced 18mpg speed limit and no gas would make sense for urban applications and getting people out of cars while still being usable. New job/house is less bike friendly so it is not getting as much use but it is a car replacement not a bike replacement.
    on singletrack is a different story, let them run on the moto trails or build their own.

^^^ This.

Mic Drop.

Queue the Grinch.

Bring out the Gimp.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    ebikes for commuting are great. e cargo bikes are amazing, I put 4000 miles commuting on my longtail with a daycare dropoff/pickup in the first year. I rode 18-19mph on the bike path the same speed I would on my road bike. We can debate speed all day, 25 is way too fast and I think 15 is too slow for actually getting places but I think an enforced 18mpg speed limit and no gas would make sense for urban applications and getting people out of cars while still being usable. New job/house is less bike friendly so it is not getting as much use but it is a car replacement not a bike replacement.
    on singletrack is a different story, let them run on the moto trails or build their own.
    very well put

Can I do 35 in a 45 if gravity allows?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post

The pedestrian approves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ This.

Mic Drop.

Queue the Grinch.

Bring out the Gimp.
    Your ass still stings eh? You get that wad out yo hair?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

New bumper sticker idea: "Nobody cares that you hate ebikes."

I like mine and I’m the only person out most of the winter. It gets me out the door, when I normally wouldn’t ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	336363

What’s the difference between shuttling, riding lifts or e-biking? E-biking has the smallest carbon footprint.

Parking can be difficult here and I’d much rather bike to the store, bank or post office, than drive.

I hope we’re all crushing the pass on a regular bike, when we’re in our 80’s. But I’m betting most of us will probably be on e-bikes, if we’re riding at all.

Anything that gets more people on bikes, is a good thing,

In the whole power rankings of hate, ebikes come in at #87.

Motor vehicles should stay on the roads and trails designated for their use.Name:  15899336232780.jpeg
Views: 1606
Size:  34.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	15914755612430.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	336367
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.