Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Have to say the surface conditions were pretty damn good all weekend. The lines and minimal terrain definitely made things tough but I think they did a good job getting what they did open. That free early season skiing edge card made the 830 to 1030am skiing with minimal lines and then downloading and going to ride bikes in Pemberton a pretty good weekend. Made it till 11 Sunday with no lines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Still holding at.higher elevations
    Name:  IMG_8607.JPG
Views: 1642
Size:  62.7 KB

Even Ridgerunner, base of Symphony hovering around zero with 33mm / cms reported so far

New Catskinner wx plot reporting 21cms/mm at 0.2 deg

Even Ridgerunner, base of Symphony hovering around zero with 33mm / cms reported so far

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Where are you getting data on snow depth?

I was up for the first time this season yesterday, and conditions were surprisingly decent -- especially as we got that little dusting at the end of the day to lube up the hardpack.

Today, though, I'm refreshing the webcams with disgusting frequency. This thread is currently like a support group for the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
    Long-time lurker, first time poster. Where are you getting data on snow depth?

I was up for the first time this season yesterday, and conditions were surprisingly decent -- especially as we got that little dusting at the end of the day to lube up the hardpack.

Today, though, I'm refreshing the webcams with disgusting frequency. This thread is currently like a support group for the storm.
    It's no secret but just not publicized. WX plots and telemetry http://online.whistlerblackcomb.com/...r/default.aspx

It's no secret but just not publicized. WX plots and telemetry
    Thanks! I can't see any data on snow depth there (the appropriate columns exist, but all the precip numbers all report as 0), but having more details on conditions will be helpful.

Will this kind of gloppy stuff make a stable base layer?

Quote Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
    Thanks! I can't see any data on snow depth there (the appropriate columns exist, but all the precip numbers all report as 0), but having more details on conditions will be helpful.
    Snow depth is reported in Pig Alley (new) and Catskinner (new). FYI if you look at avalanche.ca and poke around for the weather stations links there are snow depths for other areas close or contiguous to WB so you can construct some sort of good guess as to how snow depth at Pig Alley and Catskinner (sheltered, not very wind-affected) translate to windward, leeward, lower and higher areas

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Will this kind of gloppy stuff make a stable base layer?
    Absolutely. If the freezing levels hold this is exactly what we need for a stable base

Whistler conditions 18-19

I’m calling it. Best day of the year today! Half decent fluff on roped off runs. Sunny and cold too. No snow guns running tho. Maybe Vail has written the season off. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I’m calling it. Best day of the year today! Half decent fluff on roped off runs. Sunny and cold too. No snow guns running tho. Maybe Vail has written the season off. :-)
    they started running them at like 1:30.... one blowing directly at the chair. hah

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    they started running them at like 1:30.... one blowing directly at the chair. hah
    How else are you supposed to transport it uphill? JONG

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Oh my. Due consideration from our southern neighbours eh?

I am hoping to get up tomorrow so that I maintain some semblance of sanity and can at least say my season has "begun". I figure I need to prime the legs anyways. Will anybody be up and about tomorrow? What's the "word" this season (so far)? Blackcomb or Whistler? Are both equally early-season gnar?

Sent from my LG-H873 using TGR Forums mobile app

Impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Saw that on Wayne's site. I'm as low as it gets on the avalanche knowledge scale, but seems weird to heli bomb when none of that terrain was going to open for a while. Guessing the layer it broke to was going to be a concern for the rest of the season?

Gotta flush that shit out before it becomes a low probability/high consequence situation just waiting for a tourist to hit the g-spot and trigger the whole bowl while there are 200 people skiing it.

Do we know when they plan on starting to run the alpine chairs? Last time I was there they opened one chair per mountain a week, so must plan on starting that soon if they want to have everything open by xmas.

Mama mia, that's a spicy slide!

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Do we know when they plan on starting to run the alpine chairs? Last time I was there they opened one chair per mountain a week, so must plan on starting that soon if they want to have everything open by xmas.
    Think they need a hell of a lot more snow first. Doesn't look like there is much in the way of precip coming until at least the 7th.

With colder temps coming though, does Blackcomb have the snowmaking facilities to make enough snow to get zigzag open to the bottom of Excel? It would be nice to limit the amount of necessary downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Do we know when they plan on starting to run the alpine chairs?
    Hopefully no time soon. This can be the best time of year. The touring off Backcomb today was sweet - I actually got a faceshot on some of the steeper lines.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Saw that on Wayne's site. I'm as low as it gets on the avalanche knowledge scale, but seems weird to heli bomb when none of that terrain was going to open for a while. Guessing the layer it broke to was going to be a concern for the rest of the season?
    Just Google Crystal Mountain Campbell Basin avalanche. It will show you all you need to know about early season weak layers and the trouble they can cause.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Gotta flush that shit out before it becomes a low probability/high consequence situation just waiting for a tourist to hit the g-spot and trigger the whole bowl while there are 200 people skiing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Just Google Crystal Mountain Campbell Basin avalanche. It will show you all you need to know about early season weak layers and the trouble they can cause.
    Yeah certainly makes sense if the conclusion was the layer was going to be an issue (and the way it slid, hypothesis confirmed).

peak chair prep today...end of the slack slack country season?

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Think they need a hell of a lot more snow first. Doesn't look like there is much in the way of precip coming until at least the 7th.

With colder temps coming though, does Blackcomb have the snowmaking facilities to make enough snow to get zigzag open to the bottom of Excel? It would be nice to limit the amount of necessary downloading.
    Coverage was thin on lower zig zag then last week they had a snowmaking pipe break and had to dig the whole bloody run up to fix it. It’s currently got a couple of diggers on the run and is wall to wall dirt/ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Peak opened today. Guess I was wrong. Was fun up there.