Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Buying a new bike, bike industry has lost me

So, I currently ride a Santa Cruz Bronson, CC 2015, with custom build, envy wheels, XO etc.. I am thinking i need to replace it and get some value out of the bike before it becomes totally obsolete.

I have been trying to figure out what to get. I know that Santa Cruz, Pivot and Yeti are making some of the better bikes, but jesus there are so many SKU's, 29er, 275, oversized. How do these guys expect to sell when there are so many choices.

I understand that i need to decide on what i am looking for, which happens to be a cross between a cross country and enduro. Flow trails are what i am primarily riding, but plenty of steep descents and ascents here in CO.

Any suggestions?

Evil Offering?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Evil Offering?
    i dont get it?

Why not just get a new Bronson?

Lots of great reviews for Ibis Ripmo.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    i dont get it?
    Company name = Evil

Bike frame 140mm travel = The Offering

Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Why not just get a new Bronson?

Lots of great reviews for Ibis Ripmo.
    Why not just get a Nomad then? Or a Hightower LT if you're drinking the Santa Cruz koolaid

i dont get it?
    https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/offering

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Company name = Evil

Bike frame 140mm travel = The Offering

Get it?
    yes thank you. I am out of the bike industry and really dont follow it.

What do you like about the Bronson? What do you dislike about it? Is there anything you're trying to accomplish with this new bike other than freshening up the rig and staying on top of industry trends / fads / standards? Budget? Priorities (i.e. efficient climbing / light weight / playful and poppy / descending smashiness / other)?

There's shitloads of great bikes out there, many of which are more or less comparable to the Bronson. Gonna need some more specific criteria than "somewhere between XC and enduro."

Or, I guess, this can just be one of those threads where everyone names random bikes. If you're just looking for a really long list of bikes that may or may not be anywhere near what you actually want, you'll get that.

So, I currently ride a Santa Cruz Bronson, CC 2015, with custom build, envy wheels, XO etc.. I am thinking i need to replace it and get some value out of the bike before it becomes totally obsolete.
    Don't do this.

I mean, unless you really just want a new bike. If so, carry on.

And make sure to get the red one.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What do you like about the Bronson? What do you dislike about it? Is there anything you're trying to accomplish with this new bike other than freshening up the rig and staying on top of industry trends / fads / standards? Budget? Priorities (i.e. efficient climbing / light weight / playful and poppy / descending smashiness / other)?

There's shitloads of great bikes out there, many of which are more or less comparable to the Bronson. Gonna need some more specific criteria than "somewhere between XC and enduro."

Or, I guess, this can just be one of those threads where everyone names random bikes. If you're just looking for a really long list of bikes that may or may not be anywhere near what you actually want, you'll get that.
    Good questions. I dont know, it seems to climb well but isnt super plush going down. I rode a Trek when i was in hood river the other week. It was a a fuel 9.8 29 er. Was sweet going downhill but was super sluggish climbing. i want something that will take large hits, is quick but climbs well. I am not racing XC but want to be able to go out and put in 20-30 miles (monarch crest) and not have a bike that drags me down on the climbs. I know those are huge generalizations.

they are all good for something, ride some and pick the one that speaks to you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Good questions. I dont know, it seems to climb well but isnt super plush going down. I rode a Trek when i was in hood river the other week. It was a a fuel 9.8 29 er. Was sweet going downhill but was super sluggish climbing. i want something that will take large hits, is quick but climbs well. I am not racing XC but want to be able to go out and put in 20-30 miles (monarch crest) and not have a bike that drags me down on the climbs. I know those are huge generalizations.
    Before you go selling your nice bike that you seem to like alright and that isn't that old, it might be worth messing around with the suspension. The Bronson should be fine on descents. And the Trek Fuel should be fine (maybe better than the Bronson) on climbs. So my gut reaction is that the suspension was set up incorrectly for you on both of those bikes.

I dont know, it seems to climb well but isnt super plush going down.
    My wife has that bike, this makes no sense.

Before you go selling your nice bike that you seem to like alright and that isn't that old, it might be worth messing around with the suspension. The Bronson should be fine on descents. And the Trek Fuel should be fine (maybe better than the Bronson) on climbs. So my gut reaction is that the suspension was set up incorrectly for you on both of those bikes.
    And I'll wager a guess with regards to the suspension not being plush - Fox fork?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And I'll wager a guess with regards to the suspension not being plush - Fox fork?
    no, rock shock front, cane creek rear.

SO this was my other question. It is worth putting the eagle drive train on it and then just riding it into the ground? Keep it for another couple years.

no, rock shock front, cane creek rear.
    Just as an experiment, open up (i.e. loosen) both the high and low speed compression adjustments on your rear shock. Count the clicks / turns so you can put it back to where you have it if needed. But it'd be worth tinkering a bit to see if you can make your bike feel better.

SO this was my other question. It is worth putting the eagle drive train on it and then just riding it into the ground? Keep it for another couple years.
    Is it currently a 2x10?

Not sure putting on an Eagle drivetrain is worth it - unless, perhaps, the drivetrain is clapped out?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is it currently a 2x10?

Not sure putting on an Eagle drivetrain is worth it - unless, perhaps, the drivetrain is clapped out?
    1x11

1x11
    I wouldn't bother spending a ton on Eagle unless you have current drivetrain issues...

Best advice I got from a deceased biking buddy is that, it's not a new bike, it's another bike.

Man, it sounds like you have a solution ($$) in search of a problem. A 2015 carbon Bronson is definitely not obsolete. What are the problems that you have with it that is causing you to want to sell it or upgrade it?

1. Suspension doesn't seem well tuned.
    2. Shifting is poor? Range is small?

For 1., take Toast's recommendation and figure out what about it isn't working to your expectation. Are you using all of your travel? Is small bump compliance poor? Is it rebounding from bumps too quickly? There are solutions for all of these not the least of these is custom suspension tuning which costs a lot less than a new bike.

For 2., is the high range too low or high? Is the low range not low enough? Consider a new cassette or chainring. Is the shifting no longer crisp? Consider new cables.

Most of the problems are solved through tuning/tweaking. A new bike may not solve the issues you are trying to solve or, worse, introduce new problems you didn't already have.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Buying a new bike, bike industry has lost me

You should keep your bike and get another completely different bike like a single speed or something. Yer bored.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

X4 or whatever on you don't need a new bike, you need to futz with your suspension and send your extra $$ to me for safe keeping