Long Shot Alabama Fly Fishing

Anyone have any beta on getting after some fly fishing in Alabama? I have a conference in Montgomery in late June. I have a couple days to kill and will have all my salt water gear since I am heading to the Keys as soon as the conference is over....

I am open to whatever, fresh water for bass, salt water for reds, carp, whatever!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

They have trout too, if you wanna go that route. So my brother says, who just moved from Birmingham. I'd go near Mobile for reds, if I were you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    They have trout too, if you wanna go that route. So my brother says, who just moved from Birmingham. I'd go near Mobile for reds, if I were you.
    I have heard that too. I am not however going to get to excited about traveling from the Rocky Mountain West to fish for trout. mobile for red is my thought too.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

He kept sending me pics, and I reacted the same way. I kept telling him I'd fly down and meet him on the coast somewhere, but he's a putz. I was going to meet him around Destin or Pensacola, as those areas seemed to have the best options.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If you are in Montgomery, you’re a looong way from any trout. Can’t give any beta, I’ve only been to Montgomery once, but if you can find any public ponds, like around office parks etc., they’re sure to have bass/bream.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have heard that too. I am not however going to get to excited about traveling from the Rocky Mountain West to fish for trout. mobile for red is my thought too.
    how much time do you have in between the conference and the Keys trip? Mobile isn't exactly close to Montgomery, so it might be more than you want to bite off for a day trip. Finding some ponds for bass/bream as Ken recommended is going to be your best local option. Virtually anything you find with water around there will have some. A handful of smallish poppers with a wooly booger trailing 12-18 inches off the back will usually git 'er dun (and practice saying it just like that before you go).

I BASSCARed this river (kinda?) near Birmingham 25 years ago, I remember lots of tribs making it a bit of a big maze. BIG bass in there that'd eat a fly on top. Interesting fishing, those slow moving low rivers. It was certainly not like say Atchafalaya but it was wide and did have swamps along it. Such classic bass fishing, running a buzz bait through some lily pads and WOOOSH!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I have a couple days to kill, and 2-1/2 hours away is not very far to drive in the western US, so I am totally fine driving down to Mobile if the fishing is good. That being said getting out and pounding bass in poppers would be a kick in the ass.

my dad's bud had built a bass pond on his land and there were some big fish in there. I'm gonna find out where that was and if the dude still has it. Pretty sure it was near birmingham we had to pull little boat he had out there up on shore ever hour or so to bail it.

edit: crap. the dude died of a heart attack 2 years ago. He was 50. RIP man.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Plenty of bass spots. I'll try to get some beta from our rep in the area.
    Go catch a Montgomery Biscuits game while you are there. Rays A team. Sure to be some good developmental talent there, that we will groom and then sell to the highest bidder.
    Field is in an old train station they converted to a baseball stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Plenty of bass spots. I'll try to get some beta from our rep in the area.
    Go catch a Montgomery Biscuits game while you are there. Rays A team. Sure to be some good developmental talent there, that we will groom and then sell to the highest bidder.
    Field is in an old train station they converted to a baseball stadium.
    I am thinking some bass fishing sounds like a blast! I checked the Biscuits schedule last night, they arent in town. It would have been fun to go see who the Cubs were going to have playing for them in a few years!

maybe worth a call? No personal knowledge. Just googling around.

https://eastalabamaflyfishing.com/