Page 299 of 465 FirstFirst ... 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 11608
    Hmm, sounds like a good day to head to Magic then. If all goes right see y'all Friday.

I was talking to a friend who was wondering....
    is this a crown and deposit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	94139  

i think that rog and his partner commented on what you're asking about in their TR on T4T dave.

and to summarize, yes that is a recent crown,and recent deposit
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

What greg said. Rog mentioned last night that gully 1 slid big in the last day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by drewvw View Post
    What greg said. Rog mentioned last night that gully 1 slid big in the last day or two.
    As I gathered from his report:
    With the evidence of the main gully's recent slide they decided to avoid the slides altogther as they had experienced some poor stability soft slab reloading ontop of the old surface. Instead they moved into the slightly lower angle bowls on the left side of the picture that have a different aspect and potentially lower avy danger. However, as Rog found out, sometimes what may appear safe at first can change quickly as one moves deeper into the belly of the beast. When a slope has not released its load naturally, it just means it can go bigger with a little help.
    Again, a lucky man .
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    As I gathered from his report:
    With the evidence of the main gully's recent slide they decided to avoid the slides altogther as they had experienced some poor stability soft slab reloading ontop of the old surface. Instead they moved into the slightly lower angle bowls on the left side of the picture that have a different aspect and potentially lower avy danger. However, as Rog found out, sometimes what may appear safe at first can change quickly as one moves deeper into the belly of the beast. When a slope has not released its load naturally, it just means it can go bigger with a little help.
    Again, a lucky man .
    Wow. Pretty ballsy to ski where they did after observing that activity. Those aspects look pretty compareable, except for pitch which, is why is didn't slide by itself. I agree with his observation about it only being a matter of time if that's where you choose to ski. It's not suprising to hear he got caught, it's suprising he essentially walked away from a slide of that size and being taken so far. Angel on his shoulder.

VTFH:
    procrastinating at work
    Last edited by lemmycaution; 03-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmycaution View Post
    VTFH:
    procrastinating at work
    I'd laugh if I wasn't so puckered!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^^^ NICE! I'm gonna have to print up a bunch of those and give them to people when they ask me where I'm going from now on!
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

I too am distracted at work (training actually)...and am an incredible graphic artist

Sorry...couldn't help myself. Love the dragon.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    some pics from magic a few weeks ago.

Name:	magic 001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	94148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 010.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	94149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 009.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	94150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 008.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	94151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 005.jpg 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	94152  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	94153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 007.jpg 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	94154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 004.jpg 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	94155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 015.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	94156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 003.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	94157  

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    more magic pics

Name:	magic 013.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	94158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 011.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	94159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 012.jpg 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	94160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 015.jpg 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	94161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic 014.jpg 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	94162  

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Wow. Pretty ballsy to ski where they did after observing that activity. Those aspects look pretty compareable, except for pitch which, is why is didn't slide by itself. I agree with his observation about it only being a matter of time if that's where you choose to ski. It's not suprising to hear he got caught, it's suprising he essentially walked away from a slide of that size and being taken so far. Angel on his shoulder.
    Not Monday morning this shit but as I'm sure you know the rock pile has a highly variable snowpack. Its entirely possible to do a proper technical analysis and then get seriously fucked when you move 20 feet in a particular direction. Forest service personnel, care takers, RMC people, etc, all will tell you that some weird ass shit goes on with that pack.

I think it better to remind ourselves of the often over looked and forgotten fact that no matter your level of experiance or skill that place can still be dangerous.

Good to here everyone's ok that is a serious slide.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    Not Monday morning this shit but as I'm sure you know the rock pile has a highly variable snowpack. Its entirely possible to do a proper technical analysis and then get seriously fucked when you move 20 feet in a particular direction. Forest service personnel, care takers, RMC people, etc, all will tell you that some weird ass shit goes on with that pack.

I think it better to remind ourselves of the often over looked and forgotten fact that no matter your level of experiance or skill that place can still be dangerous.

Good to here everyone's ok that is a serious slide.

I don't know anything about Mt. Washington. I agree there could be highly variable snowpack on any mtn that sees alot of wind. Something like that could be a cause of an incident when there were no other signs of unstable snow, but then a certain aspect slides. To use that fact to discount the danger of a particular aspect that is fairly representative to one that has obviously seen recent activity I think is not very reasonable. I don't have much experience, and as a result are VERY cautious. Sometimes I think it's a better perspective. If I notice ANY instability ANYWHERE on my tour, I stay away from that type of terrain. I think that some times people who have been schooled in snow science feel like they can be less careful or convince themselves they can deminish risks when the signs are starring them in the face.
    $.02 Roger has encouraged questions and dialogue so let's not get all defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmycaution View Post
    VTFH:
    procrastinating at work
    Love it! A little color and lets print some.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^ there's a really good discussion going on currently on the T4T thread for those who want to absorb and learn...esp over the last few hours.

Awesome day at Jay today...

Unexpected powder day at Jay Peak today. I got a face shot on Upper Exhibition just before lunch. More later...

(edit) Now it's later.

Mr. M on JFK. Still blower in the early afternoon.

Snowway Steve somewhere at Jay Peak today.

Photos by Harvey.
    Last edited by Mr. Multiglisse; 03-02-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added pics
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

you bastard Multiglisse. :P All I got was work work work!

First time I've seen this thread on the second page of ski/snowboard all year. That's not right. Back on the first page where of belongs. Bump, because there are only two more days until I'm skiing again.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Sweet day at Smuggs yesterday with a high school buddy. Total sleeper pow day with nobody at the mountain. Good times! Now its -18, just another Jay day.

page 300 pagetop biatches! Tonight we dine in HELL!!!

Glad you made it out ok, Rog. That area is so low angled that its has always surprised me how big it rips out. The second pic shows that it has gone significantly bigger not too many years ago (if i recall correctly, there was almost no debris last year and a ton two years ago). Hope I see you up there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

A quick dose of stoke from Stowe + the notch this past Saturday. Good day overall.

PLENTY STEEP TO SLIDE

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Glad you made it out ok, Rog. That area is so low angled that its has always surprised me how big it rips out. The second pic shows that it has gone significantly bigger not too many years ago (if i recall correctly, there was almost no debris last year and a ton two years ago). Hope I see you up there soon.
    the whole upper portion of that bowl is anywhere from 34-38 degrees in pitch with some steep rollovers. the 1st run we took (see tracks in upper left of 1st pic above) rides down a very safe nose that has some trees for anchors and a lower angle. the big ride run is actually a bit lower angle, but didn't get the same consolidating wind effect that i was hoping it would've based on past experiences and from poking at other areas nearby on tuesday. i definitely tickled the wrong spot fer sure. a guy i was lapping main gully (the one dave posted a pic of with red pen marking) with yesterday after i checked out the avy accident scene from below and on the ridge, was also swept up in a huge natural slide over there years ago and luckily got pushed way up a tree and got spit out the top.

skiing was amazing yesterday up high and man did that 7 new inches come in fast!

for pretty much anything you'd want to read about the accident, please click on the t4t link below:

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/s...235#post149235

nice to go back up to high nh the day after my ride and get right back to it........definitely re-opened a new level of awareness too. which is good. learned a ton by going back to the scene.

thanx for all of the kind words and input folks!

rock on!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by drewvw View Post
    ^^ there's a really good discussion going on currently on the T4T thread for those who want to absorb and learn...esp over the last few hours.
    That is a good thread over there. Never cruised that site before as I don't ski in the whites. Very "PC" opinions and folks treading lightly with their critique. I am disturbed by the spin put on the situation. I think it can be broken down a little more plainly. Rog is a big boy and his decisions are his own, but the point of view that this was just bad luck, and will eventually happen to anyone needs an astrict, PC is not my game.
    I can't be the only one who has been expecting this report all winter, I'm glad it didn't have a terminal end. Rog was skiing in "The Gulf of Slides" down avi paths, seeking out windloaded snow, and has been all year. Upon arrival at the bottom of their run they observed a huge naturally triggered slide on a comparable aspect to what they ended up skiing. Reports were for considerable avi danger and reports on this board an others were of lots of slides happening in known slide paths. He chose to proceed in spite of obvious signs of danger. If that's your MO, then yes, only a matter of time. I think it is obvious that he had lost a bit of respect for the dangers that lurk and the power of natural forces. It is a matter of pure luck that he survived, he mentioned himself that he was able to swim after his ski popped off. Talking about variations in the snow yadda yadda yadda are excusing more basic facts that should not be overlooked. There were obvious signs that activity was likely, and they were ignored. Sure he proceeded with caution, made his assesments, planned his route carefully...and made a series of mistakes. I know it takes time to come to grips with the reality that you almost just died, and having been thru that, I know the denial involved. I hope that in the coming days he evaluates his actions, realizes his errors, and they have an affect of his future activities because he's a passionate Mtn travler and it sucks to see such dynamic folks pass away too young. I'd love to see Rog critique his own decision making process, explain where his errors were made, and talk a bit about how he will use them in the future to travel more safely thru his world. Beyond that, some people are wired for crisis, Rog obviously is. I've watched people huddled on a rock in a river screaming for help, and I've also watched people act decisively in the face of major dangers to save lives. Way to survive it Rog! Takes a strong mind to keep thinking, takes disapline to walk away without getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Rog is a big boy and his decisions are his own.
    pretty much sums it up.

IMO analyzing this stuff is like inspecting a turd, sure it can tell you a lot about health and diet, but its so variable, the analysis of one turd really shouldn't dictate your expectations for all turds.

Rog is OK, really all that matters. lets move on.

I hear Magic Mt has some wicked good stuff, can anyone confirm?