Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Curious what anyone would want more ramp?
    they have never read wildsnow and don't know any better ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'll throw this in the mix as well. Heel lift? Way easier to try than any sort of shimming. It effectively changes your ramp angle and also (depending upon your individual body mechanics) can help you get forward in your boot. By forward, I mean easier to drive the cuff of the boot and not be backseat. I just went through a round of playing with different heel lifts and forward lean shims and when i got it right, all of a sudden a boot that felt too stiff almost felt too soft because I could drive it properly. Vroom.

Quote Originally Posted by eshed View Post
    I'll throw this in the mix as well. Heel lift? Way easier to try than any sort of shimming. It effectively changes your ramp angle and also (depending upon your individual body mechanics) can help you get forward in your boot. By forward, I mean easier to drive the cuff of the boot and not be backseat. I just went through a round of playing with different heel lifts and forward lean shims and when i got it right, all of a sudden a boot that felt too stiff almost felt too soft because I could drive it properly. Vroom.

I think this is incorrect, a heel lift does not do the same as a shim, since the cuff of your boot stays in the same position. What could be though, is that because you open up your ankle, the increased range of ankle flexion gives you a better feel. Or the leverage on the cuff becomes bigger, as you effectively increase your level (leg) length.

Heel lifts inside the boot affect the ankle biomechanics. If you can’t get forward because of limited ankle dorsiflexion they will help.
    If you have normal or excessive dorsiflexion it will put you too far into the front of the boot. Also internal boot ramp angles are all different and the need will bay from boot to boot.
    Under binding shims address above the ankle biomechanics-
    Tib/fib to femur ratio, lower leg length to torso ratio, and ???
    Despite extensive research I’ve had a hard time getting solid info what the objective measurements are for determining the need/ amount of toe or heel shins.
    I think xxx was on the right track of standing in your boots on a flat surface and playing with shims until you feel the best balance and or appear to be in an athletic stance from the side. Then duplicate that on your setup.

yeah my buddy took a few magazines and put them under toes of my boot to shim the boots asked how it feels and then said i needed less forward lean so I put plastic shims under my 977 toe piece and it was good

on the other side of the coin I took the shim out from an FR+ because i was too up right & couldnt get a stiff upright boot flexing and it was just enough
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd first look at where your skis are mounted and then at technique.
    Lulz, while this might be true, it strikes me as funny coming from you.
    Also, are you still scraping Tech Talk for beta and republishing as your own content on your blog?

Ditto with the OP on feeling in the back seat with the Alpinists. I would normally just "get used to it" with weighting or technique, but after the initial liner mold of the Lupo Airs, my ankle bones were still a little low in those areas (different foam?), so added in heel wedges which should help with both situations, as well as help increase pressure & heel hold with my very low insteps.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH
    .. are you still scraping Tech Talk for beta and republishing as your own content on your blog?
    Now that is some funny shit.

Now that is some funny shit.
    It would be if it wasn't true.
    Also, I've seen you ski, probably shouldn't talk the talk, promoting your blog in ski communities if you can't walk the walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH
    Also, I've seen you ski, probably shouldn't talk the talk
    have ya now.

Fook! Never knew anyone was watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    It would be if it wasn't true.
    Also, I've seen you ski, probably shouldn't talk the talk, promoting your blog in ski communities if you can't walk the walk.
    Maybe he was in a skiing while in walk mode training session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Dude, I had the same problem, not enough ramp.
    I fixed it by listening Jamie Pierre (RIP).
    Switch to the road, baby!
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1
    Where and when did you see me ski? And we both know you are full of shit about the blog, douche bag.
    Well, first things first, other mags called you out for reposting (nearly verbatim) content from tech talk and claiming it as yours, I saw it too.
    I'm sure you've since scrubbed that from your blog - whatever. I am sure I could still find the posts if was actually important to me

I've seen you skiing at Crystal on number of occasions over the years.

ACH? If I still lived in Issaquah I'd be sure to look you up in person so we could do some skiing

> other mags called you out for reposting (nearly verbatim) content from tech talk and claiming it as yours, I saw it too.

Never happened. The full content of CT is all still there, from the start date in 2010 on. I stopped writing seriously in 2014. Other than videos, photos or direct quotes (all given credit) I have never reposted or plagiarized anything, ever.

Never needed too.

Haters on TGR...imagine that. Haven't skied at Crystal in 6 years. Be sure to introduce yourself the next time you see me. My teenage butt has changed some you'll have to look close bitch.

ACH? If I still lived in Issaquah I'd be sure to look you up in person so we could do some skiing

> other mags called you out for reposting (nearly verbatim) content from tech talk and claiming it as yours, I saw it too.

Never happened. The full content of CT is all still there, from the start date in 2010 on. I stopped writing seriously in 2014. Other than videos, photos or direct quotes (all given credit) I have never reposted or plagiarized anything, ever.

Never needed too.

Haters on TGR...imagine that. Haven't skied at Crystal in 6 years. Be sure to introduce yourself the next time you see me. My teenage butt has changed some you'll have to look close bitch.
    Got it. Shit skier. No idea. Ignore all advice!

Thanks TGR.

I've seen both of you ski

I'd bet my house on ACH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Increasing tech binding ramp angle

Never needed too.

Lulz - double down on the lies then...(shrug) it happened, I saw it, so did others, confirmed with the mag that called you out.

As far as the hating goes...
    Look who’s sending dm’s calling people names. That’s a good look, butthey, you keep doing you.

And, you haven’t been a teenager in a long fucking time.

Increasing tech binding ramp angle

Getting back on track here.

Did some messing and measuring on my boots, it's pretty damn hard to measure the footbed angle as the boot board has ramps and contours, boot angle of the shell also hard. So I'm not definitively there yet. However with the liner in the shell and a carpenters square along with a digital angle gauge I have I have a good idea on boot lean.

I'd put my Zero G Pro Tour at 10 and my Cochise at 11 nominal. Doesn't mean a load, just my way of measuring and comparing. For reference 1 degree of lean for a 300mm boot is about 5mm heal lift or drop.

Clicking the Cochise into my markers brings the heel up 4mm so we're getting close to 12 degrees.

Zero G's into the Alpinist actually drops the heel 0.5mm, so decreasing the forward lean. This might sound weird as the alpinist heel to toe pins is +2mm (I measured) but it is a function of where the tech fittings are located in the boots. The toe tech fitting is lower than the heel fitting measured from the ground, which means the boot pitches back when it is clicked in. I measure it as about 1mm higher but by the time the boot engages etc it must be about 2.5mm giving the heel drop of 0.5mm.

I checked the other tech boots I have, the Cochise and my wife's Scarpa Gia RS. The Scarpa has the toe fitting 2.5mm above the heel, this would add 2.5mm or whatever it ends up being when engaged to the ramp, the Cochise is 6.5mm below the heel which would indeed give the much more upright boot position that 1000oaks mentioned.

So takeaway here is that the tech fitting position in the boot can have a pretty appreciable effect on the ramp.

Last point is that clicking my Zero G's into some Kingpins I have brings the heel up 10.5mm. This is pretty useful to me as this put's the forward lean in the 12 degree region, real close to my cochise in apline bindings.

I'm going to ski my Zero G's back to back in the Alpinist and Kingpin and see what the comparison feel like.

If that kind of solves the issue then I need to be skiing tech bindings with a +12mm delta or so, shimming the Alpinist 10mm seems a bit nuts but maybe I'll try it, or buy some ATK Crest which are +11, even Salomon MTN at +9 could be worth a shot.

Ok, I’ll join in with a question.
    I ski salomon
    Mtn with tlt6’s; very rarely I’ve tried skiing the same setup with my lupo factories. After some messing around I got the lupo forward lean sorted out in STH’s, but in the lupos/mtns I’m way back on my heels relative to the tlt6’s. I measured the lupos distance from the topsheet in sth and mtn, and found the heels are nearly 5mm lower with the lupo/mtn combo than in sth’s.
    How can i address this with the lupos without messing up the sth, which feel perfect? or changing the ramp on the mtns, messing up the tlt6’s, which feel perfect?
    Heel lifts to put in the lupos for use with mtns?
    Sorry for a complicated read.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Ok, I’ll join in with a question.
    I ski salomon
    Mtn with tlt6’s; very rarely I’ve tried skiing the same setup with my lupo factories. After some messing around I got the lupo forward lean sorted out in STH’s, but in the lupos/mtns I’m way back on my heels relative to the tlt6’s. I measured the lupos distance from the topsheet in sth and mtn, and found the heels are nearly 5mm lower with the lupo/mtn combo than in sth’s.
    How can i address this with the lupos without messing up the sth, which feel perfect? or changing the ramp on the mtns, messing up the tlt6’s, which feel perfect?
    Heel lifts to put in the lupos for use with mtns?
    Sorry for a complicated read.

I’m afraid I don’t think you have an easy option. Other than using inserts so you can switch in a riser depending on boots.

Yeah, I think my best play is not using the lupos on there.

Gravity always wins...

To provide some closure and direction for future thread readers, I had calculated through rough measurements that if I increased the delta of my tech bindings from 2mm to around 10mm then the forward lean angle of my alpine and touring boots would be very close instead of more upright in the touring boots.

I have about 10 days on my ATK FR14’s which are 10-11mm delta. The stance is very natural and feels just like my alpine configuration. So now less excuses for skiing like a gaper in crap backcountry snow.....