Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    some 108 (and 120) tips...
    ...SFTC - did I miss anything?
    Damn, I think you got it. I'll just add that the cheapest/almost easiest place for grocery stuff is the Safeway in Sonora. Further up the hill the Twain Harte Market is a wanna-be Whole Foods / regular store hybrid with not as much of a selection of healthy stuff but all of the same prices.

I think the Dodge Ridge ski shop is closed for the summer but in Pinecrest, right below Dodge, the general store will be open with basic stuff, next door Mike has decent camping/fishing stuff, next to that is the Serene Bean for coffee and the legendary Steam Donkey with cold beers and a good deck. This weekend they'll probably have the pay showers open and across the parking lot Brett will probably have his bike place up and running.

I can't think of anything else right now....
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

some 108 (and 120) tips

Hula's in Escalon has good food.

AM/PM in Oakdale is cheapest gas you'll pass. AM/PM in Sonora is cheapest in town. Zak's in Sugar Pine is 25 cents cheaper than up the hill. If you haven't fueled up by the time you get to Zak's, you should.

Alicia's Sugar Shack in Sugar Pine has great coffee, breakfast burritos, muffins, scones, sandwiches. B&G on Sunday. Open at 0700. Tell her Mike from Dodge Ridge sent you.

Andy's Grill in Mi Wuk has EXCELLENT burgers - cheap. Great sandwiches, ribs, beer, ice cream, milk shakes. Mi Wuk store is open at 0700.

Cold Springs Market opens at 0600. They has groceries, doughnuts, breakfast burritos, gas, beer, bait, ammo - you name it. If you didn't buy gas at Zak's do it now, because the Dardanelle's will rape you.

Dardanelle's has a decent store and cafe and really expensive gas.

Pizza options on 108: Mia's in Cold Springs and Pie In The Sky in Sierra Village are both popular. Most folks like one or the other. I like Mia's, but I've never been to Pie In The Sky.

Twain Harte has a few places to eat. Pizza, burgers, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, etc. Sportsman Cafe has good homemade breakfast sausages. Open at 0700.

SFTC - did I miss anything?
    Thanks! The question isn't what time those open, it's what time they close!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I dunno - I'm usually up and rolling early searching for breakfast. I try to be home early to cook supper.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Not Sonora Pass, but interesting anyway, here's a pic from Tuolomne Meadows dated 5/20:

I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Any recommended camping options close to sonora? Will be heading up next week and have never been up the pass.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

The pass is open!
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Any recommended camping options close to sonora? Will be heading up next week and have never been up the pass.
    kennedy meadows, just before the incline on the west side is about as close as you can get.

Not sure when Leavitt Meadows on the east side will open but that's another option.

Those are the two kosher (you pay) camp options. Or you sleep in a plowed pullout in your truck.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Will most likely be heading back over 108 after a couple days near Tioga/Ginny Lakes. Hope to make a few quick turns there next Thur or Fri.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    About to head up to Sonora Pass for a dusk patrol/recon mission. More later.

just got back from an afternoon session with Owen - conditions are fat!

the new snow from the other day has not cooked out yet - it was slushy, but not sticky

we met some snowmachiners who towed me up and gave Owen a ride up on the sled, then we hiked up for another lap

pics to follow

^ I would assume that slushy today means coral reef tomorrow ... hmmm, decisions decisions. I think I'm throwing my skateboards in the car.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

yeah

new snow was not cooked out

freeze tonight might make it stiff tomorrow

corn might take a few days to cook

pics...

Owen's new buddy

not sure what's up with this - must investigate

my photo sizing is fucked - sorry

I almost forgot - it was windy as hell - Owen cried

some 108 (and 120) tips

Hula's in Escalon has good food.

AM/PM in Oakdale is cheapest gas you'll pass. AM/PM in Sonora is cheapest in town. Zak's in Sugar Pine is 25 cents cheaper than up the hill. If you haven't fueled up by the time you get to Zak's, you should.

Alicia's Sugar Shack in Sugar Pine has great coffee, breakfast burritos, muffins, scones, sandwiches. B&G on Sunday. Open at 0700. Tell her Mike from Dodge Ridge sent you.

Andy's Grill in Mi Wuk has EXCELLENT burgers - cheap. Great sandwiches, ribs, beer, ice cream, milk shakes. Mi Wuk store is open at 0700.

Cold Springs Market opens at 0600. They has groceries, doughnuts, breakfast burritos, gas, beer, bait, ammo - you name it. If you didn't buy gas at Zak's do it now, because the Dardanelle's will rape you.

Dardanelle's has a decent store and cafe and really expensive gas.

Pizza options on 108: Mia's in Cold Springs and Pie In The Sky in Sierra Village are both popular. Most folks like one or the other. I like Mia's, but I've never been to Pie In The Sky.

Twain Harte has a few places to eat. Pizza, burgers, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, etc. Sportsman Cafe has good homemade breakfast sausages. Open at 0700.

SFTC - did I miss anything?
    From the East, Its all about Walker Burger, bring cash no plastic accepted. May head up Monday, Leavitt Peak or bust.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Dusk patrol recon report. In terms of lines to ski and coverage the correct answer is all of the above. Many possibilities. I skinned up and did one run on the ridge west of the pass back down to the big tree. The snow quality could be described as a mix of creamed corn and Dairy Queen Mr. Misty.

Owen is killing it telemike!!!
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

I never get tired of OWEN stoke.Please keep bringing it

pics...

not sure what's up with this - must investigate
    Only the west side (Sonora side) of the pass is technically open to OVER SNOW VEHICLES (ie: sleds/snowmobiles) at any time from what I've heard. Basically the dividing line in that area is the crest of the Sierra, and it runs south from the parking lot to the top of No Name peak and on to Leavitt Peak. Hence you can't legally sled up to, or around, Leavitt Lake. Or do a multi-night, sled-supported, midwinter ski crossing of the pass to Bridgeport and back, which would be a lot of fun.

The east side (Bridgeport side) is also the training grounds for the Marines and I think they use a lot of the eastside for camping, helidrops and live fire training in the winter so they probably try to discourage traffic in the area without actually closing it off.

Here's a link to a cool map I found of training area on the eastside of the pass. It outlines all of the heli LZ's and the live fire ranges. It's interesting to see the target areas right around Leavitt Lake. It's a big download, but it's a great topo map of the area and interesting to check out:

MWTC RTA MAP

There's more maps and info in the "Range Control" section of this website:
    Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

SP closed due to snow today - likely to open again tomorrow mid-day I'd guess

Ebbetts closed too

KW was fun

foxes

Sierra red foxes

planning to ski SP Wed - might meet up w/ a friend or two with a snowmachine or two to use for some laps

made the right call by bailing on Sonora Pass at the SnoPark above Strawberry - there was already a couple of inches on the ground, and it looked like they'd likely close the gate behind me - that would have been a good one - my wife would have never known I was stuck on the pass until Owen's school called and asked who was picking him up

Friday looks better - more weather for the weekend

June-uary