Page 928 of 1646 FirstFirst ... 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 ... LastLast
Results 23,176 to 23,200 of 41143
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Normally, I'd wait for more snow, but I'm having a minor procedure done next Tuesday which will take me off line for about two weeks, and that's just too long to be in suspense about how my Quixotes feel on my feet.

... Thom
    Opening weekend at A-Basin? Should be an excellent test of how they feel in the lift line.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Opening weekend at A-Basin? Should be an excellent test of how they feel in the lift line.
    Not to mention an excellent test of how they feel on shitty snow.

Yeah, with Friday becoming the new Saturday, maybe that's not such a good idea.

This raises an interesting point - how much can you learn about a ski with minimal information - the ski review equivalent of "Name that Tune". Of course, judging a ski's lift line performance may have more validity than that of some of the major review sites ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This raises an interesting point - how much can you learn about a ski with minimal information
    There has been one pair of skis I've owned that as soon as I put them on my feet and stood in the lift line, I realized they just weren't going to work for me. Coincidentally, I sold them to you...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

That happened with me with a pair of Marker Dukes. It took me four uphill skating steps toward the lift to realize they wouldn't work for me.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-11-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Copper mtn was looking really filled in this am. Coverage better than any others I've seen, including the basin. Vail and BC not so much but they are starting snowmaking. Leaves are disappearing, so now you can stop gawking and drive you fucking leafers!

US Ski Team is probably chomping at the bit, they'll have them out there soon.
    It will still be Ptarmigan to Main Vein for the public Day 1. Speed and swerve!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Yo some folks I know were out at Andrews Glacier today and had some shit stolen.

Copied from the Book of Faces:

A hard but great day at Andrews Glacier with Craig Dostie turned to bitter disappointment when I left my pack for 10 minutes to run up to Bear Lake to get my car and when I got back, it was gone. All my gear and Dostie's skis and bindings. I will make a detailed list to share with Wilderness Exchange Unlimited and Play It Again Sports. I'll keep an eye on Craigs List for anything that looks like mine.
    Mammut Nirvana Pro black large 35 litre ski pack with orange SeaToSummit buckles on the helmet nest.
    Scarpa TX size 27
    G3 some model I can't recall with Meidjo 2.1 bindings
    Black Diamond carbon fiber fixed length poles 115 cm
    Mustard yellow Arcter'yx Sabre goretex parka size M
    Neon green Patagonia down puffy size L
    All my meds including 2 epi pens in a bag labeled with my name and address in English and Japanese
    Giro 9 helmut Medium
    giro goggles
    BCA shovel and probe
    Suunto sighting compass
    Tool kit with rare driver and pozidrive #3 bits
    First aid kit
    Assorted face masks, headband, hat etc.
    Julbo glacier glasses
    bca inclinometer
    OR light touring gloves size L
    Black Diamond Kingpin gloves size L
    ...as I think of more I will add to this list and get more specific where possible.
    Thank you so much @~mikey b, @adrenalated, @MakersTeleMark, @Danno, and @BFD for your kind words and others for lending their moral support. I'm starting to replace some items slowly and I hope I have a decent kit together soon.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Git sum

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    Thank you so much @~mikey b, @adrenalated, @MakersTeleMark, @Danno, and @BFD for your kind words and others for lending their moral support. I'm starting to replace some items slowly and I hope I have a decent kit together soon.
    Yo Chez. This is so unbelievable. Let me know what you need or how I can help. I’ve stashed my gear many times without even an afterthought.

The dude who had the above gear stolen is one of the best dudes in existence and one of the nicest guys I know. He has taught more people about backcountry skiing for free than just about anyone else alive and whoever stole his shit deserves an immediate ass kicking.
    ^^^this

The dude who had the above gear stolen is one of the best dudes in existence and one of the nicest guys I know. He has taught more people about backcountry skiing for free than just about anyone else alive and whoever stole his shit deserves an immediate ass kicking.
    I think he's probably feels too oogy (I make up words as I see fit) to post this here, but if you feel inclined to help out a worthy dude who lost a shit-ton of valuable stuff: https://www.gofundme.com/chez-stolen-gear
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The scene at ABasin at 9:05 this morning. LOL.

Old's Cool.

Man, I hop the lift line reaches all the way to the top of the run. That'd be awesome, Thom can really get the lift line testing of his new skis down.

Damn...why do people do that to themselves? I often question whether its worth it to wait for 5-10 mins at loveland in october. That looks like a solid hour.

I did buy an A-Basin 4-pack this year and I am super stoked to ski the steep gullies this year, however.

Must be all the Jerry's that moved to CO in the past few months. Ride up, make two turns then side step down. Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Hike up, 45 minute snowplow down to lift, ride up, make two turns then side step down. Fun!
    FIFY.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Must be all the Jerry's that moved to CO in the past few months. Ride up, make two turns then side step down. Fun!
    Yeah, do you ski all the way to the bottom then side step up? Or stop at the back of the line and lose part of the little vertical that run offers?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    The scene at ABasin at 9:05 this morning. LOL.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
    That is pretty much half the vertical lost.

Holy shit, has the number of gapers tripled in Colorado these past 5 years?!

I know it's a discussion point every year but I find it astounding that people rush to stand in line for an hour to ski the WROD in October but give up on skiing in March. Of course, it's better for us during those phenomenal spring powder days but wow.
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 10-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.

this is good getting drunk skiing... take skis off, go to b*ar, get beer, drink in line go home.
    (*c)
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ...I know it's a discussion point every year but I find it astounding that people rush to stand in line for an hour to ski the WROD in October but give up on skiing in March. Of course, it's better for us during those phenomenal spring powder days but wow.
    Does anyone know this to actually be true -- or does it just look this way because in Oct everyone is gathered on one damn lift. In March they are spread out over multiple mountains and all their lifts?

Every person I personally know who is skiing today or this weekend at A-Basin are also people who ski all the through the closure at most mountains, and then a few may/june A-Basin days as well.

Colorado Weather Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Does anyone know this to actually be true -- or does it just look this way because in Oct everyone is gathered on one damn lift. In March they are spread out over multiple mountains and all their lifts?

Every person I personally know who is skiing today or this weekend at A-Basin are also people who ski all the through the closure at most mountains, and then a few may/june A-Basin days as well.
    I was referring to the fact that mountains often close mid April with huge bases because "everyone" has stopped skiing and economically they don't push to stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Yeah I think there is 100x more people skiing in April but it seems “empty” because 8 or 9 mountains are open with nearly 100% coverage and lift capacity

I think you are casually forgetting that the lowest portions of most mountains, outside of AB and Loveland, are complete shit or dirt by mid April .once that is gone they’re not downloading people

Spring conditions suck for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
    That is pretty much half the vertical lost.

Holy shit, has the number of gapers tripled in Colorado these past 5 years?!

I know it's a discussion point every year but I find it astounding that people rush to stand in line for an hour to ski the WROD in October but give up on skiing in March. Of course, it's better for us during those phenomenal spring powder days but wow.
    It is the Epic Pass. A shit ton have it. It is how Vail ruins places. Same shitshow shoes up at KW when we have high snow levels, or just powder days. Fuck Vail.