Page 1571 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 ... LastLast
Results 39,251 to 39,275 of 46194
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    over $5k to replace. insane.
    If a new car is 50k give or take, how can the cat be worth 10% of the vehicle.

My tinfoil senses are telling me it’s a conspiracy between the criminals and the stealerships.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Apparently this is a very frequent occurrence these days and airport security does not give a fuck at all. Even in the parking garages where there's tons of cameras. They won't lift a finger to help.
    It really does seem like petty criminals have a green light these days. The police don't care. Most stores don't care. Shoplift away! For the most part no one is going to stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    If a new car is 50k give or take, how can the cat be worth 10% of the vehicle.

My tinfoil senses are telling me it’s a conspiracy between the criminals and the stealerships.
    My car is 16 years old.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The scrap price is probably only worth $300-500 dollars. Too bad more of these meth heads don’t get shot when stealing these.
    It’s not meth heads. At least not in Oregon. They busted a huge criminal enterprise that was running out of a very swanky neighborhood in Portland that was doing most of it around town.

$5k is the bend-you-over price. EPA-compliant aftermarket converters are a thing although who knows about availability right now. Buying and having a local independent install could be an option.

https://www.magnaflow.com/collection...tic-converters

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    $5k is the bend-you-over price. EPA-compliant aftermarket converters are a thing although who knows about availability right now. Buying and having a local independent install could be an option.

https://www.magnaflow.com/collection...tic-converters
    Maybe it is, I dunno. But there are 2 converters on my car. And the quote also includes O2 sensors. The actual cost for each converter was just over 2 grand, so double the price in your link. This is an independent shop in an industrial area who comes highly recommended (and has seemed like a stand up guy). So maybe I am getting bent over, but I'm guessing it's by the world and not specifically from the shop. Plus, I need the work done now.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    5K?! Holy crap. No wonder they get heisted all the time
    We need more stories like this one. Feel good story of the year?:
    https://youtu.be/R9ZBBFwlCPc

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

My car is 16 years old.

5k repair for a 16yo car. gawd, what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    5k repair for a 16yo car. gawd, what a mess.
    yeah, pretty insane. But glad I still held on to comprehensive coverage! And FWIW, in today's market, that's probably only half of my car's value. But really, even if I didn't have comp coverage, I have no choice, I have to pay it.

yeah, pretty insane. But glad I still held on to comprehensive coverage! And FWIW, in today's market, that's probably only half of my car's value. But really, even if I didn't have comp coverage, I have no choice, I have to pay it.
    yup, true story. i got a friend here in SLC area that made a few million in his "precious metals recycling business" back in the early/mid aughts, collecting and shipping converters from old vehicles that went to the scrapyard. i wonder if he's still doing this or if his business is defunct now. i'll make a point to inquire next time we talk.

Not sure how it’s going but WA recently enacted a law prohibiting salvage yards from buying private party catalytic converters, a great step to removing the incentive for stealing them.

Of course in the more conservative part of the state there’s been an outcry about “hurting small businesses because we won’t punish the criminals” as if the salvage yards haven’t known they’ve been mostly fencing stolen goods.

I just signed up for a free program offered by my local sheriff's department, where they supply a VIN stencil to be applied to the cat. You can DIY or bring to a shop participating in the program and they'll do it. All free of charge to the public.

I'm a little unclear on how a painted on stencil protects against a thief grinding off the VIN, but maybe it's enough of a deterrent to help. Can't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Not sure how it’s going but WA recently enacted a law prohibiting salvage yards from buying private party catalytic converters, a great step to removing the incentive for stealing them.
    In CA you can not have a used CAT installed, so why do they get stolen, for the metal in them? If yes, then recycling CATs should be against the law unless the whole car comes in with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    In CA you can not have a used CAT installed, so why do they get stolen, for the metal in them? If yes, then recycling CATs should be against the law unless the whole car comes in with it.
    it's all for the metal in them, they have precious metals.

I think I found your perp.

Name:  6A16FD36-6215-4C3E-AC4F-79BB316D40F2.gif
Views: 393
Size:  797.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Where were you before I parked at the PnR?

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to rig up a MagnaVolt like system to your catalytic converters. That would take care of business pretty quickly. Then just drive over the smoking husk of a corpse like a mere speed bump. Thunk-thunk.

https://youtu.be/bMtqRir7dco

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    What I'm wondering is if it's possible to rig up a MagnaVolt like system to your catalytic converters. That would take care of business pretty quickly. Then just drive over the smoking husk of a corpse like a mere speed bump. Thunk-thunk.

https://youtu.be/bMtqRir7dco

Ruh-roh. Now you've activated the Bmills spring gun signal!

why do I have to resort to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1662065018.245976.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	425318
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    why do I have to resort to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1662065018.245976.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	425318
    Have you tried putting a clothes hanger on the door handle?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

......This is an independent shop in an industrial area......
    Sounds like you are getting your original converters back.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Sounds like you are getting your original converters back.
    Not a chance. This guy is a reputable business who has been around for decades, recommended to me by my mechanic who I trust.

Now I'm annoyed by the USAA appraisal team, who a) is asking for photos that I uploaded to USAA's website this morning, and is asking for photos of the dash, radio, and front and back seats, for a claim about catalytic converter theft. WHen I gave them a WTF, they said that it's standard procedure for cars that are older the 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Of course in the more conservative part of the state there’s been an outcry about “hurting small businesses because we won’t punish the criminals” as if the salvage yards haven’t known they’ve been mostly fencing stolen goods.
    My former home state passed a law where scrap dealers had to get a copy of the DL and a photo of anyone selling CC's, as well as a valid VIN for each converter. Didn't stop thefts, but cut it down significantly.

This is a problem with easy fixes. Are our elected officials in the pocket of Big Scrap Metal?