Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They most definitely can quarantine you in the US. There is a law that allows it and the list of diseases is established by executive order, so I believe Trump would have to issue an executive order specifically for coronavirus. The most common disease that is currently quarantined is TB, I believe, where people can be held in the hospital and given medication against their will.
    Can they come get you out of your home though? My understanding is that you take the test, and get the results later that day, so unless you are already in the hospital it seems like involuntary quarantine is something that doesnt happen in the US? Or am i totally wrong?

Why even get tested? Stay home if your sick, same as you should do anyway.

The official numbers will severely underrepresent the actual population with the virus.

The risk of some quarantine requirement will just scare people and since there is no treatment other than normal comfort care, not sure why you’d risk going to a doctor, spreading the virus even more, or getting the virus if you didn’t have it just so the county can track numbers.

I work for the University Of Washington medical center and we are telling patients to NOT go to their doctor. Just call a number.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Travel insurance also may exclude pandemic coverage. Saw discussion elsewhere of such on a now-not-happening ski trip to Italy.
    Any idea how to figure out if pandemic is excluded? I tried searching the policy for pandemic and nothing came up...mostly want to get flight money back if flights are shut down, so maybe credit card would cover that? Plan I'm looking at is from world nomads:
    https://products-api.worldnomads.com...rovinceCode=CA

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    We'll know if Gilead's remdesivir provides a treatment option by the end of April. Trial ongoing. I suspect it will be partially effective which could reduce the death rate.

https://www.gilead.com/news-and-pres...nt-of-covid-19

Separately, there's an approved drug in Japan that may already have some efficacy in infected patients (and protect against new infection)?

Here's the paper that ID's this connection:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...304-4/fulltext

Here's the drug:
    https://drugs.ncats.io/substance/0FD207WKDU
    Cool, I own stock in GILD.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Protip--Travel Guard won't reimburse you if you cancel a trip due to the risk of coronavirus. I wonder if they'll be able to defend that policy for trips to places with Level 3 travel warnings like S Korea. If you or a travel company cancel a trip for which you've purchased travel insurance and aren't making a claim, Travel Guard will allow you to apply the premium to a policy for a later trip.

My wife gets an email from Korean Air changing her flight from LAX to Seoul moving it 12 hours later, but they didn't reschedule her connection to Bangkok which she will miss, and she will miss her tour. She's getting a refund but the point is that things are chaotic right now. I suspect that a lot of flights to risky destinations will cancel at the late minute.
    Odd, since they would cover flight changes, correct?

Exactly, my insurance doesn’t cover quarantine, per se,but if any of my flights are cancelled for any reason, they cover it. As they put it, closing the border isn’t covered, but if they close the border, flights would be cancelled, and I get my money back. All of it. Hotels, guides, bike rentals, Mexico air flights, etc...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    At this time, no federal restrictions are in place to prevent travel within the United States. However, misinformation — in the news, on social media and among colleagues — has led to rising concerns...

I am flying to Colorado on Saturday. <- thats a period
    Well, I'm flying to Zurich Monday.

So there.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

SARS
    H1N1
    Ebola

All turned into media-hyped hysteria when the common flu kills about 1000X more people every year than those "pandemics" ever did.

Live your lives and be smart about hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I live .25 Mile from the nursing facility where the Seattle folks who died are from, and 3 blocks from the hospital they died at.

And now my SO thinks she is sick. I'm gonna get it. We're young and healthy though.

Headed to big white, then on to Nelson this week. My work is handing out work laptops like candy to prevent anyone with a hint of sickness from coming in.
    Are you getting tested before travelling? Seems like the right thing to do no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I mean... Zika is gonna kill your children now
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Are you getting tested before travelling? Seems like the right thing to do no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Tests arent available currently. Should be distributed accross the country by the end of the week. And they wont waste a test on someone feeling healthy like myself (even though i would be contagious for weeks before i show symptoms). Blame "Pray the Virus Away" Pence for the bumbled coordinated medical response... amongst others.

Im like 95% sure its her allergies, like every year around this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Well, I'm flying to Zurich Monday.

So there.
    Geh mit Gott, mein Freund, genieße das Shuss

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    SARS
    H1N1
    Ebola

All turned into media-hyped hysteria when the common flu kills about 1000X more people every year than those "pandemics" ever did.

Live your lives and be smart about hygiene.
    There are a couple of critical differences, at least based on the early reporting:
    - far more transmittable than ebola
    - spread to a much wider (geographic) area before the warning lights came on (vs. all of the above)
    - an order of magnitude more deadly than the flu (we think)

Like the flu, Covid-19 spreads before symptoms are apparent in the host. This makes it rather challenging to limit the spread, as does a lifespan of many hours on non-porous surfaces. The death rate reported out of China is in the neighborhood of 2%; the flu is generally under 0.1%. That's a very significant difference—2% is more than one person in a 60-person tram car—even if the deaths are still limited to higher-risk patients.

There's a big caveat: the data out of China is about as trustworthy as Trump administration data on climate change. One of the upsides of the Italy breakout, for those of us not near there, is that the number of infected people seems to be high enough to garner statistically meaningful data.

I figure that most major resorts on the East Coast will have at least one visitor with Covid-19 exposure before the lifts stop turning. Hopefully it's not someone in the same gondola cabin as me.

Got on the lift with a guy today and he was practically curled up on the other side of the quad chair. Told me he didn't want to get sick. Since he damn near clocked me in the head I didn't feel bad joking about my recent trip to China. He was not amused.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Got on the lift with a guy today and he was practically curled up on the other side of the quad chair. Told me he didn't want to get sick. Since he damn near clocked me in the head I didn't feel bad joking about my recent trip to China. He was not amused.
    Too bad someone probably coughed on his pizza in the lodge earlier.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Can they come get you out of your home though? My understanding is that you take the test, and get the results later that day, so unless you are already in the hospital it seems like involuntary quarantine is something that doesnt happen in the US? Or am i totally wrong?
    They can remove you from your home and commit you to a hospital or require you to stay in your home and punish you if you don't. Whether that will happen is another story. It happens with TB--someone with untreated TB is a danger to community until they die.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Why even get tested? Stay home if your sick, same as you should do anyway.

The official numbers will severely underrepresent the actual population with the virus.

The risk of some quarantine requirement will just scare people and since there is no treatment other than normal comfort care, not sure why you’d risk going to a doctor, spreading the virus even more, or getting the virus if you didn’t have it just so the county can track numbers.

I work for the University Of Washington medical center and we are telling patients to NOT go to their doctor. Just call a number.

A test doesn't help the patient. It does alert them, and potentially authorities, that they are contagious. It alerts their contacts, and potentially authorities, that the contacts are at risk. I certainly agree--if you think you might have a mild case just assume you do and behave accordingly. The people who might want to be tested are the contacts of cases, and they may want to encourage the sick contact to be tested. If you're exposed and asymptomatic I think you should either quarantine yourself or get tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Odd, since they would cover flight changes, correct?
    I believe the airlines have to give you a refund if they change their schedule or your flight so that you don't get to your final destination within a certain period of time of the original itinerary. Not sure the time allowed and whether the rules are different for international flights.
    Travel insurance should cover a change in flights that doesn't get you there when you need to be there--and they may have the option of getting you to your destination late and refunding you the portion of your trip--hotel bills for example--that you missed. Depends on the policy. So seems like you'd be better off getting a refund from the airline if the rest of the trip isn't paid for or is refundable.

I suspect that what's happening with Korean Air is that they've already cut their routes and will continue to cut them based on cancellations until they can mostly fill the flights that are left, which could be as little as one per week, or none. What I'm wondering is--if you cancel your flight and then the airline later cancels the whole flight do you still get a refund the same as if they cancelled it first.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    There are a couple of critical differences, at least based on the early reporting:
    - far more transmittable than ebola
    - spread to a much wider (geographic) area before the warning lights came on (vs. all of the above)
    - an order of magnitude more deadly than the flu (we think)

Like the flu, Covid-19 spreads before symptoms are apparent in the host. This makes it rather challenging to limit the spread, as does a lifespan of many hours on non-porous surfaces. The death rate reported out of China is in the neighborhood of 2%; the flu is generally under 0.1%. That's a very significant difference—2% is more than one person in a 60-person tram car—even if the deaths are still limited to higher-risk patients.

There's a big caveat: the data out of China is about as trustworthy as Trump administration data on climate change. One of the upsides of the Italy breakout, for those of us not near there, is that the number of infected people seems to be high enough to garner statistically meaningful data.

I figure that most major resorts on the East Coast will have at least one visitor with Covid-19 exposure before the lifts stop turning. Hopefully it's not someone in the same gondola cabin as me.
    The mortality rates are bullshit since most people with the virus aren’t reporting it or seeking care.

https://apple.news/AHXXcuhdtSmOYLOIFP9SFgQ

The mortality rates are bullshit since most people with the virus aren’t reporting it or seeking care.

Agreed, especially since we are still looking at a relatively small sample size, compared to say influenza.

Especially in China (the epicenter, obviously), I think. Remember: last fall, when this virus was first realized, the Chinese government engaged in trying to cover it up, rather than contain it (eventually, they changed their tack). And when the Chinese government is trying to cover things up, persecution is commonplace. So, folks who thought they might have it, but were not in medical dire straits, probably were/are highly motivated to keep it to themselves. So yeah, the mortality rate is probably (hopefully) nowhere near as high as it sounds.

But so far...who knows? Fortunately, Trump-tard and Pence have this thing fully under control

I am planning on coming into montana from Canada this spring, think the border is gonna be ok? And if I get travel insurance going into the USA will it cover me for a medical visit for something like that?? just gauging these things for trip, thanks for info

I'm actually thinking the pandemic may be helpful for traveling, assuming you don't get hit by flight cancellations or things get closed entirely. You know airlines and hotels are going to have good deals going due to a decrease in demand and then when you get to your destination the crowds will be reduced. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwurrel View Post
    I am planning on coming into montana from Canada this spring, think the border is gonna be ok? And if I get travel insurance going into the USA will it cover me for a medical visit for something like that?? just gauging these things for trip, thanks for info
    You'd have to look at the specific plan you were considering to see what was covered--and plans can be customized to a certain extent. Does Canadian health coverage cover foreign travel and repatriation? Does it vary by Province?

In general travel insurance covers what it says it covers and nothing more. If it isn't listed it isn't covered. For example, if it says it covers you if you get sick that doesn't mean it covers you for a high risk of getting sick.

I flew from Boston to Kelowna today in the big germ tube in the sky. I fucking hope they close the border, I can't get home or back to work, and I get Revelstuck. Look for WTB in gearswap if I survive, as I didn't bring my touring gear.

What % of people with influenza "report it"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What % of people with influenza "report it"?
    Exactly