Page 79 of 226 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 5634
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Were they all Buttah posts?
    He and his wife just lost their cat to cancer.... been posting in the kitty stoke (or in this case non-stoke) thread.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Is anyone here a HS sports coach? Preferably basketball? Can someone explain the calculus to me on how you decide to balance the retention of players from different grade levels? 61 kids tried out for the three teams this year. They run Varsity, JV A, and JV B (or freshmen, depending on the year and numbers, lately the VT schools have been doing JV B around here).

So my son and two other kids (all juniors that have been playing in the local programs together since Kindergarten (recc leagues, Mini Metro, middle school, Jr high, AAU, etc)) were placed on Varsity but are going to play on JV too using the "5 quarters" rule. It seems strange to me. They had a lot of kids. And generally if you're a Jr and get fully assigned to JV A, you're probably getting cut as a Sr, so Jr's usually turn down JV A. My son was going to turn it down if offered, wanted to snowboard (the horror) if he didn't make V. So is this dual placement a way to retain some talent? Or help out the sophomores on JV? Or what? It doesn't make sense to me from a strict numbers sense. I know some Srs got cut. And they are pretty evenly split with Jr's. So next year looks like they could be top heavy. Or cutting Srs again. If my son doesn't step up his game this year then he'll end up snowboarding next year. Degen.

^^^I’ve been a HS/college coach for 28 years…..(soccer, baseball)

We/I try to never cut players on any team I’ve ever coached…but I know that is totally dependent on the size of school district and community. My school district is relatively small that graduates about 200 kids a year….so we need all the athletes we can get.

Our JV teams are used to prepare (no matter what grade) kids for the Varsity team. We all practice and train together……so everyone is on the same page with philosophy, plays, etc. We always have kids that play both JV and get Varsity time……it is actually very beneficial for the player to build confidence at the JV level and take that into the Varsity games.

The fact your boys are playing both, is a positive sign that the coaches feel they can/will be potentially key players in the next 2 years….If your coaching staff is positive and encouraging….it can be a very good situation….The whole program is a family, and everyone (at all levels) are working towards the same goal…..”to get better every day”.

Pm if u want….

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    ^^^I’ve been a HS/college coach for 28 years…..(soccer, baseball)

We/I try to never cut players on any team I’ve ever coached…but I know that is totally dependent on the size of school district and community. My school district is relatively small that graduates about 200 kids a year….so we need all the athletes we can get.

Our JV teams are used to prepare (no matter what grade) kids for the Varsity team. We all practice and train together……so everyone is on the same page with philosophy, plays, etc. We always have kids that play both JV and get Varsity time……it is actually very beneficial for the player to build confidence at the JV level and take that into the Varsity games.

The fact your boys are playing both, is a positive sign that the coaches feel they can/will be potentially key players in the next 2 years….If your coaching staff is positive and encouraging….it can be a very good situation….The whole program is a family, and everyone (at all levels) are working towards the same goal…..”to get better every day”.

Pm if u want….
    We're one of the bigger districts up here and usually graduate 200-250, it varies wildly. The basketball program was aggressively expanded starting young over the last 10-15 years. Catch-22. Too many kids for the available spots is a sign that it worked. Maybe too well? They're carrying 15 I think my son said on each team, which is a lot. Somehow I thought you could only have 12. They've had practice players in past years so maybe that's what's up.

Random Unthreadworthy Questions

Pretty much what BC said, I think. Not a coach but played a bunch of HS sports BITD at big-ish schools.

The thinking may be that they won’t get tons of minutes on varsity this year, so they put them on JVA to make sure they get enough game reps. Especially with 15 players that’s not a ton of minutes to go around.

Might be worth straight up asking the coach what his reasoning was.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Pretty much what BC said, I think. Not a coach but played a bunch of HS sports BITD at big-ish schools.

The thinking may be that they won’t get tons of minutes on varsity this year, so they put them on JVA to make sure they get enough game reps. Especially with 15 players that’s not a ton of minutes to go around.

Might be worth straight up asking the coach what his reasoning was.
    Im actually more interested in the general strategy of how one maintains a team over the long haul, X and Y and such. More of a fluid dynamics problem. having really nothing to do with my kid's actual placement. I'm happy he still gets to play. And that he's not going to be snowboarding instead, which leads to smoking pot and in general being a degen. If only my kids had listened to me and skied.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    We're one of the bigger districts up here and usually graduate 200-250, it varies wildly. The basketball program was aggressively expanded starting young over the last 10-15 years. Catch-22. Too many kids for the available spots is a sign that it worked. Maybe too well? They're carrying 15 I think my son said on each team, which is a lot. Somehow I thought you could only have 12. They've had practice players in past years so maybe that's what's up.
    FWIW…another reason why the coach might be keeping so many on each team this year….might be Covid reasons:

1. If a few kids on team get quarantined….there will be enough kids to fill in and not have to shut down the team/season.

2. Just to get more kids involved in a “team” atmosphere…Covid has really done a number on kids (mentally and physically), and getting as many involved in a sport can/will hopefully “bring them back” to some sort of normalcy.

. If only my kids had listened to me and skied.
    You had one job!

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    FWIW…another reason why the coach might be keeping so many on each team this year….might be Covid reasons:

1. If a few kids on team get quarantined….there will be enough kids to fill in and not have to shut down the team/season.

2. Just to get more kids involved in a “team” atmosphere…Covid has really done a number on kids (mentally and physically), and getting as many involved in a sport can/will hopefully “bring them back” to some sort of normalcy.
    Ya

So the meat of my question is, how does one balance the grade level distribution Y2Y, assuming too many players and you have to cut each year so that you keep from having all seniors or all freshman. Is there an optimal formula? It's tricky because there's all the human variables on top of it.

Ya

So the meat of my question is, how does one balance the grade level distribution Y2Y, assuming too many players and you have to cut each year so that you keep from having all seniors or all freshman. Is there an optimal formula? It's tricky because there's all the human variables on top of it.
    No formula….for me at the HS level..never really focus on the grades the kids were in…the players are the players who are in the district/program. (It is what it is). We never look at an even distribution of kids per grade…..For example this fall, we only had 5 seniors, 3 juniors, 8 sophomores, 8 freshman…..the numbers are dictated by “who comes out for the team”. (We did not cut anybody this fall)

The kids who are Varsity only players are the ones whose skill/talent level warrants that. The kids who play both JV/Varsity are the kids who are developing the skills, and playing both levels help them to adjust to the speed of the Varsity level. The JV only kids are the kids who are usually 9th/10th graders that are learning and developing their skills. They need to play at the JV level against other kids with similar skill sets…

When recruiting at the college level….it’s about bringing in athletes every year at specific positions of need. You can never have enough athletes…especially pitchers. You go out and get kids that fit your program….(it’s obviously a different “ballgame” so to speak than coaching/building a program at the HS level)

Sorry…I’m not the best wordsmith….maybe we can all shoot the shit while skiing this winter…I’m better in person…lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    why do so many people using tapatalk accidentally report posts? what is wrong with the UI that causes that to happen?
    I don’t know how to report a post, so for educational purposes, I just reported you. Turns out it’s EZ. Maybe too EZ ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

What do I do with my dog's ashes? It's been a year.

I'd feel stupid hiking up a peak and scattering them all serious like. Or dumping them in some lake or pond she swam in - we live in Utah she didn't swim much. Right now she is in an urn and I'm not putting the urn up near a bunch of knick-knacks on a shelf for eternity.

I didn't want to keep her ashes but the wife did and now I have to get rid of them. Don't get me wrong I loved that dog but WTF. Main problem is anything I do I have to explain to my 7 year old, and wife, and not sound like a psycho.

I have to hike up a peak and scatter them, don't I?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

I'd feel stupid hiking up a peak and scattering them all serious like. Or dumping them in some lake or pond she swam in - we live in Utah she didn't swim much. Right now she is in an urn and I'm not putting the urn up near a bunch of knick-knacks on a shelf for eternity.

I didn't want to keep her ashes but the wife did and now I have to get rid of them. Don't get me wrong I loved that dog but WTF. Main problem is anything I do I have to explain to my 7 year old, and wife, and not sound like a psycho.

You kinda have to take one for the team on this one and provide some memorable closure, no matter how petty that may seem to you.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Who said you need to spread the ashes? All m,y past pets ashes are in my office waiting for me to pass before being dumped with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Scroll down, Benny. He's a Democrat.

Who? The creature on the left?

Ya

This is how I understand it works from the AD at my son's school. It's a multivariable gaussian distribution. They permutate the number of players in each of the years to create an optimal and suboptimal solution. The players in the optimal solution are assigned Varsity status, while the players in the suboptimal solution are assigned JV status. It's a bit beyond my mathematical capabilities to explain in more detail, so if you need further explanation I would pm one of the pseudo-intellectuals that frequent this forum.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

bury the urn in the yard with a little marker. Home is where she was happiest, being with you.

http://www.myholysmoke.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This is how I understand it works from the AD at my son's school. It's a multivariable gaussian distribution. They permutate the number of players in each of the years to create an optimal and suboptimal solution. The players in the optimal solution are assigned Varsity status, while the players in the suboptimal solution are assigned JV status. It's a bit beyond my mathematical capabilities to explain in more detail, so if you need further explanation I would pm one of the pseudo-intellectuals that frequent this forum.
    Got a proof for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    pseudo-intellectuals
    “Readers, Dad, they’re called readers”

- Joe Fox
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This is how it will go if I take my 7 year old to spread the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    bury the urn in the yard with a little marker. Home is where she was happiest, being with you.
    Well, shit. Why didn't I think of that. Might do it instead in the wooded dog park near us.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Tempted to get one of the shirts - it's pure art.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Might be worth having your son/daughter straight up asking the coach what his reasoning was.
    Fixed it for you.

No parent should be asking a high school coach about anything related to the team or his/her decision making process. That is a great way to have your kid cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk