Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The part about Sublette and Thunder going detachable is at 33:10

https://www.stormskiing.com/p/podcas...-hole-mountain

Oof:
    - 33:10 "Within our five year horizon we will be replacing both the thunder and sublette chairs with detachables"
    - 33:40 "I would like to see...and we are starting to talk about maybe something on a lower face...looked at lower Sublette...want to access from top of Moose Creek Trail...probably will keep Hobacks sacred"
    - 35:00 Thunder to take same line. Sublette possibly off the cliff with terminal point lower on the hill. Looking at 6 pack for Sublette as heavier weight will perform better in wind but maybe too many skiers to maintain snow conditions.
    - No current plans in the next three years to expand to the south (though clearly it has been discussed).
    - Blasted Ships Prow to increase safety, last year did lower tramline to spread people out
    - resort closes in early April, why?: we are a destination resort, dependent on partnership with airline flight schedules; employees are seasonal
    - Ikon – says the Jackson add-on has worked. No time in near future will leave Ikon
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Sublette terminal point lower?

Fack…

Maybe file this into the “reckless speculation” category

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post

Oof:
    - 33:10 "Within our five year horizon we will be replacing both the thunder and sublette chairs with detachables"
    This doesn’t worry me too much. I think pretty much everyone could see this coming at some point.

- 33:40 "I would like to see...and we are starting to talk about maybe something on a lower face...looked at lower Sublette...want to access from top of Moose Creek Trail...probably will keep Hobacks sacred"
    My initial thoughts - this lift would go high enough to access cat track to thunder, maybe to bottom of current sublette chair. From JHMR perspective, I think the point of a lift here is the area in question comprises a massive amount of acreage that doesn’t take a proportional amount to skier traffic. The lower faces are so hit or miss though. Not many people skiing em on a high pressure cycle, unless they groom something down lower sublette ridge. If this lift goes in (it probably will), I don’t see JHMR not cutting a groomer in from approx location of current sublette loading area, which I could live with. Maybe another one on the next ridge line to the north (south colter ridge/buffalo bowl), which would be a shame. The other thing this would allow is top to bottom laps, and on a day when things are firing this would provide more options for people to spread out. Would probably keep the line at the upper lift more manageable. On high wind days it would also keep some skiers on that side of the mountain despite the upper lift being closed. It is going to fuck up the flow on a pow day if they start loading the lower lift at opening. You’ll have people hiking up there to beat the folks who take the gondi or tram.

- 35:00 Thunder to take same line. Sublette possibly off the cliff with terminal point lower on the hill. Looking at 6 pack for Sublette as heavier weight will perform better in wind but maybe too many skiers to maintain snow conditions.
    Not sure what they mean by off the cliff, wouldn’t that take it farther north into Laramie Bowl? Lower makes sense, assuming the above bullet point comes true… Not too low though. Cannot allow access from Bridger Gondi… Also, no, just no, to a 6 pack.

- No current plans in the next three years to expand to the south (though clearly it has been discussed).
    Right… that’s in the 10-15 year plan, when it doesn’t snow in SLC and they need a new place to dump the increased traffic..

- Blasted Ships Prow to increase safety, last year did lower tramline to spread people out
    No comments here, other than don’t go heavy handed with the “improvements”.

- resort closes in early April, why?: we are a destination resort, dependent on partnership with airline flight schedules; employees are seasonal
    All good, bike season will be getting started earlier and earlier.

- Ikon – says the Jackson add-on has worked. No time in near future will leave Ikon
    Blah.
    Anyway, sorry for the rambling, that's my take for now.

eta: color doesn't show up on mobile so that may be confusing

I've been saying for years now that the next move would be a lift up Sublette Ridge that gets people to both the Sublette chair and Thunder. I think it needs to be out of the base area but that's probably screwed up because of the real estate down there. If it's not accessible someway from the base area I'm not sure I see a whole lot of value in it. The big problem has always been getting folks up and out of the base area, more so now when it's busy with all of the Ikon powder chasers.

Going south into RS is going to happen within the next 20 years imo. Another base area and parking would be the move if it's possible.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Oh boy the fish creek homeowners would sue the living shit out of the vill if they tried to pull that off, that is is the county didn't tell them no for try to send that much traffic down a road nowhere close to being able to handle it. My understanding is those homeowners are not keen on people being around at all.

I bet Rock Springs is conquered within 10.

I don't see how they replace Sublette that low without making over half the terrain accessible by the current one tram only. Doubt that actually happens, or they keep the fixed grip as an operating lift.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Oh boy the fish creek homeowners would sue the living shit out of the vill if they tried to pull that off, that is is the county didn't tell them no for try to send that much traffic down a road nowhere close to being able to handle it. My understanding is those homeowners are not keen on people being around at all.

I bet Rock Springs is conquered within 10.

I don't see how they replace Sublette that low without making over half the terrain accessible by the current one tram only. Doubt that actually happens, or they keep the fixed grip as an operating lift.
    Oh yeah, that's why I said "if" its possible. There isn't any room to pave a road from the Vill over to the bottom of RS?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I was curious about that after reading your post and found the Teton County parcel map.

https://maps.greenwoodmap.com/tetonw...ip,placelabels

It looks like it’d be tricky if not impossible to get a road into their (JHMR) parcel at the base of RS without acquiring some additional land as a bridge to the main resort and/or pissing off a lot of homeowners. Plenty of room for a lift and lodge similar to Casper, though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The part about Sublette and Thunder going detachable is at 33:10

Oof is right. A fucking 6 pack? How does that help maintain the sacred Hobacks? You’ll have twice the amount of people heading back there at once, from the top of Sublette.

If they brought Rock Springs into the boundary, maybe have it be a hike-back access kind of thing, like A-Basin did with the Steep Gullies? That’s worked well IMO.

Pulling my popcorn out for this one.

I don't know Jackson well other than having skied there a handful of times over the years, so I was looking at the map to remind myself where all these lifts and runs were.

Jackson has a typo on their trail map - "sky area map cover 2,500 acres." Apparently Niehues retires and everything goes to shit.

Anyways, I have nothing useful to add. Carry on.

Like Vail, another marketing executive put in charge of a ski mountain.

Did you hang out until the end when she sorta blamed Patagonia for creating a controversy by pulling all of their stuff out of JH stores? How dare they? And then she said that the mountain has no political affiliation. The fucking OWNERS host a piece of pond scum like Majorie Taylor Greene, and she says that it isn't on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Like Vail, another marketing executive put in charge of a ski mountain.

Did you hang out until the end when she sorta blamed Patagonia for creating a controversy by pulling all of their stuff out of JH stores? How dare they? And then she said that the mountain has no political affiliation. The fucking OWNERS host a piece of pond scum like Majorie Taylor Greene, and she says that it isn't on them.
    I didn't listen yet, but wtf. Classic.

Cool people should own JH, not douchebags goddammit!!

I always thought that could only operate X amount of days on the forest service leased land and that was why they opened and closed when they did. That was way before mtn biking and the tram running like it does now.

They open and close early because it's a nearly south facing mountain. I never got the hype. Worst freeze/thaw conditions I've ever encountered. But, hey, there's Corbet's .

They open and close early because it's a nearly south facing mountain. I never got the hype. Worst freeze/thaw conditions I've ever encountered. But, hey, there's Corbet's .
    Tell that the the TGR crew. Best mountain evah! How dare you!!

Hands down the best hill day in day out I’ve ever skied. There is bigger and better in yurp but try and ski them top to bottom in a storm.

Bless your heart

Haha! Oh Benny.......I'm sorry for your incredibly bad timing with your Jackson visit.

It's predominantly east facing with every other aspect tucked into it's bowls and ridge lines. It can get cooked sometimes, especially the lower elevations but if you know how to work it you can generally go out and find soft snow, especially if you are skiing the side country. I skied there for four years and when it's getting cycled it's hard to beat the terrain and top to bottom tram laps in bottomless powder snow. Corbets is such an overhyped ski run it's kind of funny, there's so many lines on the hill that I personally think are much more interesting and fun to ski but whatever.

That being said, I do like to poke fun at the scene there and I'll jokingly call it "the ski center of the universe."
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Worst freeze/thaw conditions I've ever encountered.
    Let me introduce you to a little place called Montana Snowbowl. In fact, I will buy you a lift ticket if you ever make it here, just for my own entertainment,

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Let me introduce you to a little place called Montana Snowbowl. In fact, I will buy you a lift ticket if you ever make it here, just for my own entertainment,
    Haha yup

Well, you're wrong about that. And considering you've never lived there and many on this board have (including myself) you really should think before you type sometimes.

Funny that this supremacy thinking is a thing.

Places are different, each have their own special flavor. And I always loved MSB, skied a ton of pow there as well as JH. But there's Snowbird, W/BC, La Grave, St. Anton, Verbier, Serre Chevalier, Puy St. Vincent, all making a worthy claim on being the best, possibly for very different reasons.

Hopefully we laugh at ourselves and try to remember how much is a matter of taste. Or tastelessness in some cases.

For my changed nickel, I always hated the sublette quad. That wrecked the place for us. Pepis, Alta Chutes, BITH, etc all tracked now, not to mention the Hobacks.

A big heart to those who hold their place dear.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

For my changed nickel, I always hated the sublette quad. That wrecked the place for us. Pepis, Alta Chutes, BITH, etc all tracked now, not to mention the Hobacks.
    The Couch! You hate the couch! No lift line ever with access to the goods! Best chair ever circa 1989! Take it back right now!!

Benny, it sounds like you never made it off Apres Vous.
    Hope you come on out again and we can show you the goods
    Last edited by babybear; 11-22-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The Couch! You hate the couch! No lift line ever with access to the goods! Best chair ever circa 1989! Take it back right now!!
    No. I hate that thing. We use to skate out the traverse to Pepis from Thunder and have so much good snow to ourselves.

Then again, it just got so crowded, like the sweet girl who gets too popular and turns into a snotty bitch. Fun's gone for us.

We turned away from the destination places circa 1994 and spent a couple of years hitting a bunch of the little mom and pop places strewn over ID, MT. Had a way better time. Then we started doing Yurp....

But I get the love, I respect your love, I just look at it differently so I can have a better time for me.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

You've never had a good day at Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post

Oof:
    - 33:10 "Within our five year horizon we will be replacing both the thunder and sublette
    chairs with detachables"

For decades, the reason against putting HSQ's up there was because the regular high winds would wreak havoc; a slower, heavy chair is less likely to derope. Apparently they've finally decided it's not only possible, but a good idea. Late to the party on that one...

The hobacks are no more sacred than any of the other lower faces. A chair servicing only the lower faces will beat them to death very quickly. I'd be more inclined to support a chair that starts at the base of the lower faces, sublette ridgeline, all the way to tensleep bowl. A gondy would be ideal.
    Accessing the chair is the issue though. Maybe a connector from the base over to the bottom of the faces.

Lowering the summit of the couch will get them nothing really. Wind issues begin at flip point to the top. A 6 pak will kill conditions that much faster.

I suspect this is more talk and less action. Expanding south will create a variety of angles for pushback.

Sad day to see the prow get blasted. It was becoming unsafe because of all the shite skiers allowed to tool around on the upper mountain. Never used to be that way. Pussification 101

- resort closes in early April, why?: we are a destination resort, dependent on partnership with airline flight schedules; employees are seasonal.

Bullshit...FS lease was written with the NPS in mind. Park/critical habitats butt up to the hill. Not enough money coming in after April to make it worthwhile to stay open. Employees used to live here year around, now almost no locals work there. If they do, usually it's under some form of duress.

Mo Money, Mo Problems.