Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Japarch Trumps Japanuary for Japow AND Japaccess

After reviewing long-term weather predictions and the presidential primary schedule last fall the boyz and I decided that the last week of February could be an excellent time to leave the country (for a while). So, based on NW_SKIER’s excellent recommendation, we hooked up with Black Diamond Tours for a week on Hokkaido. We were not disappointed.
    When: 2/2716-3/5/16
    Where: Yotei, Kamui links, Kokusei vicinity, and The Resort Which Shall Not Be Named.
    Who: (from left): Non-mag Kevin, The Duke of Hurl, Non-mag Dave, Ianpnw, Non-mag Mike

After a seemingly endless day of planes, buses, and vans we met Mitch, our guide.

Mitch: “First windless bluebird day in weeks, want to ski that volcano over there?”
    Us: Why, yes, yes we do.

Hard to tire when, every time you look out at the view, it’s a new CONTINENT! The ski down was memorable but, sadly, undocumented.

Next morning, Mitch announced that we would likely have travel delays today due to incoming weather, so after a nutritious breakfast…

(I don’t always eat fermented squid guts for breakfast, but when I do, it’s always at the Art Hotels Asahikawa)

We skied some short laps in some beautiful, protected trees near Kokusei.

Dinner that night was some fine Ramen with scallops and mushrooms.

Day 3 proved that there are chairlifts in Hokkaido. Kamui links and nearby side country. But first, another delicious Japanese breakfast. The “deermeat” (center) was excellent.

Mitchi-san greets his day.

IanPNW deep in the NWP.

Dinner that night, Mongolian BBQ. I feel like Gengis Khan must have felt in a large bib (Note the bowling alley to my left).

Then we travelled to the Resort Which Shall Not Be Named. Our own private lift, with steep trees on either side. We spun a couple deep laps there, then a rather sporty ascent to the summit for an unforgettable descent through iconic birch forest.

Kevin and Mike savoring the solitude.

Summit.

Okonomiyaki for dinner, tasty.

"We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Then the snow came.

The boys heading out.

Some epic traverses, Kevin trying to eat a giant mushroom

Then, Shabu Shabu for dinner, very satisfying

Morning broke sunny, AND we got to have “vinegared food of the spring rain” for breakfast.

Some Type 1 skinning

Alternated with more deep skiing

Last turns of the trip.

Some useful Japan tips:

First, you can get a Latte anywhere.

And you can rent full BCA (but not Mammut) canisters in Niseko for about $5/day.

If anyone needs some of these tickets I think Ian has a few left over. PM him.

The greatest trail food yet invented by man, Onigiri, aka Seikomart triangles, virtually indestructible, many tasty flavors, no refrigeration required.

Do not mess with their military.

Try not to bring too much gear.

Lastly, random Japanese oddities…

Who’s this dude? “Go snowmobiling, young man!”

No-one tried the buttons on the toilets.

Konbenwa tomodachi.

Anzen'na ryokō.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Nice!

Very nice!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Great. Good to see Jarch delivered.

My favourite month on Hokkaido.

Sun Laiva, Noboribetsu?

Onigiri.... hmmm.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Great. Good to see Jarch delivered.

My favourite month on Hokkaido.

Sun Laiva, Noboribetsu?
    That sounds like a great idea for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Onigiri.... hmmm.
    Know any importers?

Or better yet, we start fabricating, just need to get the rice right, and the packaging.

Chewy, sticky rice, only slightly sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    Know any importers?

Or better yet, we start fabricating, just need to get the rice right.

Chewy, sticky rice, only slightly sweet...
    My buddy in SLC gets them all the time at the Asian food market there. Guess they're made every day fresh there. He makes his own at home too. Wanting to
    Make a "how to" video with him for the site.

I actually was eating a ton of these on our Switzerland trip in the fall. So random, but I guess they stock them for the visiting Japanese tourists. Except we mostly bought them out every day... We're great for biking too!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

well done!
    japan is on the travel wish list for when i win the lottery

My buddy in SLC gets them all the time at the Asian food market there. Guess they're made every day fresh there. He makes his own at home too. Wanting to

I actually was eating a ton of these on our Switzerland trip in the fall. So random, but I guess they stock them for the visiting Japanese tourists. Except we mostly bought them out every day... We're great for biking too!
    Does your Asian market carry the Pure brand sour grape gummys? I'm kicking myself for not bringing more of those home from the mini-mart over there in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Does your Asian market carry the Pure brand sour grape gummys? I'm kicking myself for not bringing more of those home from the mini-mart over there in Japan
    Well here in Jackson we don't have shit for ethnic food markets outside of tortillas but headed down to slc this weekend and am reminded that ill have to pick up a bunch!

Well here in Jackson we don't have shit for ethnic food markets outside of tortillas but headed down to slc this weekend and am reminded that ill have to pick up a bunch!
    Yeah whoops my reading comprehension failed me there. But if you see them let me know. Those things are freakin badass. I'd love to get my hands on some more.

OK, I'll go already, jees.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

the cool thing for the celophane packaging for those triangles is that it keeps the seaweed and the rice/inner stuff seperate until you undo the package and fold it all togetehr

Pickjles n fish for breaky and all that strange food is good for ya cuz the japanese live longer than any other country in the world
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You missed out on the toilets! Nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by spankthepow View Post
    You missed out on the toilets! Nicely done
    Seconded. The heated seats and "other" features were nice. Might have to install one at home.

and they have cleaner assholes ...just sayin

mmmmmm warm anal misting....

oh shit I hit quick reply..
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Which market RD? I googled it and got nowhere. I really favor buying these things over cooking them. The packaging is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    Which market RD? I googled it and got nowhere. I really favor buying these things over cooking them. The packaging is critical.
    Japan sage market I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    well done!
    japan is on the travel wish list for when i win the lottery
    its not really that bad, we spent 4400can$ each for 18 days all in

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its not really that bad, we spent 4400can$ each for 18 days all in
    14 days for me, travel, lodging, rental, food, only spent a little over $2k USD

Nice, TR! Mitch is the man. Has worked for us at backcountry in the off season in the past.

I'll be honest-- March rules every year. The forests are insane. The floor is flat, the base is stable, and the new snow is fast. Tree skiing on a whole new level of speed. Tree-Tronning, I call it.

Japan is famous for its Jan/Feb blower snow. It should also be famous for it's forest floor in March because it hauls so much ass.