Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Any particular reason for venturing into avalanche terrain alone?

Glad you're mostly ok. Nice job hauling yourself out of there. Time to start traveling with partners.

I'm curious- did the slab that you were on break loose at your feet or above you?

And more importantly, choosing to ski a line of high consequence alone in marginal (at best) conditions? Not sure I agree with Mom that you made "all" the right decisions. Aspect, temps (solar gain) and wind up there are huge factors that should steer you to what line is in on any given day. Backing off a line or staying home are also choices. As you know by now you are one lucky young man. A tough son-a-birch for sure - one helluva self evacuation. But obviously you'll live longer if ya make better decisions in the future - starting with skiing with competent partners. Heal up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Sorry for the damage to your face, but glad you learned a relatively painless lesson. Skiing at 4pm in the spring is not smart.... alpine start in the dark, turning around by noon at the latest. I agree with the above; Find some partners, get a mentor. Good job on the self evac.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Nice job hauling yourself out of there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    A tough son-a-birch for sure - one helluva self evacuation.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Good job on the self evac.
    I agree OP cowboyed-up for his evac, but he obviously did not read or remember Powdork's recent tale of self rescue. That set the bar for ingenuity in a tough situation.

What clamps were you using?

You hiked in regular shoes and then transitioned? Was the surface refreezing at 4pm?

Left at 11 and descending at 4. Pretty long hang on the ridge, no?

What things would you so differently next time?

Glad your safe now, at a glance that could have been way worse!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/140409153

He plans to go back to Great Gully, saying he would not have done anything differently than he did on Monday.

“It was just bad luck,” Luk said. “Had that slab not released, had my binding not released, had I been on both skis, that would have been fine.”
    I sincerely hope this is a case of the media misquoting you. A few folks above have pointed out some things you really need to think about before going back up. Glad you're ok.

"There are old Mountaineers, there are bold mountaineers, but no bold and old mountaineers." -Ed Viesturs

blah blah blah / armchair QB'ing

glad you're ok. Anyone that hauls themselves out and fixes their own mistakes doesn't deserve to get criticized in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by spankthepow View Post
    "There are old Mountaineers, there are bold mountaineers, but no bold and old mountaineers." -Ed Viesturs
    Simple, but true.

OP- can you post your account in this thread for non-FB users? i can't read it.

I'm not going to speak for the original poster, and it's been awhile so I need JS to point me on aspect, but as I remember 7 the aspect is NW. I think the day he was up there was sunny and the longer in the sun the better for that gully which doesn't get much in the am (like dodges). So I can see why a later start makes sense for that area to corn up and unlock.

Soloing a committed line off Adams even if he planned to ski around the ice bulge at the exit just screams of risky judgment at best - any problem leaves you with almost zero room for error.

Glad you're ok and hope you learn from this.

spook Guest
    he'd have died on the real mt. adams.

yikes!

glad you're ok - haters gonna hate

Nothing wrong with skiing alone in dodgy conditions on steep terrain in my opinion.

I honestly do not know what else can be said except I agree with everyone stating that better decision making should have been made. Your a lucky SOB and Kings Ravine is always High Risk / High Consequence terrain - no straight exit, multiple obstacles, and terrain traps a plenty.

I pulled a guy out at the end of last year who lost is his footing and bashed up in the scree field below. My buddy and I came upon him and helped drag him out of there, thankfully only bruises, broken ribs, and bruised spleen (he called me after he got out of the ER and said thank you). Same circumstance - a newb, solo, in a place he doesnt belong at the wrong time of day...

Glad your ok, heal up.
    You took too much man, too much, too much

This statement blows my my mind. And let's be proactive and learn from this... let you learn from this.

"Typically I consume as little food and water as possible while on these hikes, partially to save some in the event of an emergency, and partially to push my body to the limit so I would be familiar with how to work in the event of an emergency."

I get your reasoning but you are only setting yourself from failure if you think keeping yourself dehydrated on a tour will build endurance and strength. That happens BEFORE you decide to take a trip. Seriously. When the body is fatigued, the mind will fatigue. When your mind is fatigued, bad decisions are made.

Try recreating an emergency situation in a safe environment and go for a run on land or on a treadmill on no sleep for 24 hours and no fluids for 12. Compromising your safety in an already compromised and complex world such as backcountry skiing to test your machismo is not the way to go.

Wow. Smart choices.

Putting your Facebook info up here is also pretty poor judgement as well.

But we could use a new meme.... Waiter at Olive Garden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wow. Smart choices.

Putting your Facebook info up here is also pretty poor judgement as well.

But we could use a new meme.... Waiter at Olive Garden.
    Gonna ignore the fact that I'm a pre-med student? Typical asshattery on here.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    This statement blows my my mind. And let's be proactive and learn from this... let you learn from this.

"Typically I consume as little food and water as possible while on these hikes, partially to save some in the event of an emergency, and partially to push my body to the limit so I would be familiar with how to work in the event of an emergency."

I get your reasoning but you are only setting yourself from failure if you think keeping yourself dehydrated on a tour will build endurance and strength. That happens BEFORE you decide to take a trip. Seriously. When the body is fatigued, the mind will fatigue. When your mind is fatigued, bad decisions are made.

Try recreating an emergency situation in a safe environment and go for a run on land or on a treadmill on no sleep for 24 hours and no fluids for 12. Compromising your safety in an already compromised and complex world such as backcountry skiing to test your machismo is not the way to go.
    I was well hydrated and rested on this trip. In the summer I starve myself out, and I'm typically in a group of 3 or 6 on those hikes/climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Sorry for the damage to your face, but glad you learned a relatively painless lesson. Skiing at 4pm in the spring is not smart.... alpine start in the dark, turning around by noon at the latest. I agree with the above; Find some partners, get a mentor. Good job on the self evac.
    The gully that I was hitting has a N/NW exposure. The later on in the day, the better the snow. Not my first time up there, and I knew that going in.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Glad you're mostly ok. Nice job hauling yourself out of there. Time to start traveling with partners.

I'm curious- did the slab that you were on break loose at your feet or above you?
    The slab broke off at my feet. No more than a quarter or half inch of re-freeze that was caused by the sun getting caught behind the clouds. And it wasn't much of a slab letting loose, moreso ice breaking under my feet. The kid that I was planning on going up with would have been in a far worse situation had he made the trip.

A true testament to the catchiness of "Waterfalls" by TLC

spook Guest
    ooooooooh! pre-med! one step above "undecided!" 100% chance of being a low-paid nurse's aide based on what we know so far. at least you're on the east coast.

Thanks for the write-up, glad you are okay.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

spook Guest
    that, too. we need more entertainment around here.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    ooooooooh! pre-med! one step above "undecided!" 100% chance of being a low-paid nurse's aide based on what we know so far. at least you're on the east coast.
    You are such a douche. How is that even remotely related to this topic? This coming from one of the biggest narcissists on these boards. Premed at northeastern. Yeah, total non starter there, as usual you are an idiot.

Max Gosey was also pre-med.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

spook Guest
    i'm gigglin like po!