Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Goggle Opinions and suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I was for awhile. But how do you stay mad at a guy who brings the party to the mountain when that’s what you and the mountain need?
    Fair. Remember that time with the rowboat, 6” of fresh, the moose and the sorority from USC? Holy crap. It took me like 2 days to remember where the hell I lived after that shit.

I think that was also the time Paulette got that cop arrested. That was fucking funny. But I could be wrong. It’s all pretty hazy...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Fair. Remember that time with the rowboat, 6” of fresh, the moose and the sorority from USC? Holy crap. It took me like 2 days to remember where the hell I lived after that shit.

I think that was also the time Paulette got that cop arrested. That was fucking funny. But I could be wrong. It’s all pretty hazy...
    Fuzzy here too but wasn’t it a dude named something like Todd, or maybe Bert, who was pissed about his boat and and called the cops? IIRC, that cop was cool for a bit until the strippers showed up. Dang, Paulette ran a tight shipwreck when she needed to.

Fuzzy here too but wasn’t it a dude named something like Todd, or maybe Bert, who was pissed about his boat and and called the cops? IIRC, that cop was cool for a bit until the strippers showed up. Dang, Paulette ran a tight shipwreck when she needed to.
    It’s like Rontele always says - some fuckers should just not be allowed to mix Jager and blow.

I still have a scar btw. Totally worth it.

In my experience, any of the iterations of the smith sensor lenses work the best in stormy, low light conditions.

I've been really happy with my Anon Sonar Infrared (VLT 57%) for storm day conditions. They are kind of an amber base tint. Look for a VLT in that range with a pink/amber/maybe yellow base. Also I find the Prizm/Chromopop/Sonar high contrast technology really does make a difference.

My go to is 3 lenses. From the Smith line:
    - Sunny - sun black VLT 12%
    - Mixed Clouds/Sun - storm rose VLT 50%
    - Storm - storm yellow VLT 65%

A yellow lens for pure storm or super low light days makes a big difference imo. They just absolutely suck if the sun pokes out.

Anyone else have issue with Smith Lenses fogging up like nobodies business?

I've got three pairs, and they last about a half a day when storm skiing. I'll typically ski with a second pair in my pack to address fogging issues.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

came for the goggle info, stayed for the Rontele story.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    It’s like Rontele always says - some fuckers should just not be allowed to mix Jager and blow.

I still have a scar btw. Totally worth it.
    Can't remember who from that crew but one of them always said "taste death, live life" and "glory lasts forever". One of those rally cries might have been the reason for your scar. Was that you?

I don't remember much from those days but I've always carried those quips with me.

Remember that chick Lola? Wonder what my world would look like if I chose door #2 back at that inital house party... I think she liked Rontele more anyway. Would be cool to get the crew back together and hear how things ended up for everyone.

Alas, when you taste perfection, you don't ask for seconds.

Can't remember who from that crew but one of them always said "taste death, live life" and "glory lasts forever". One of those rally cries might have been the reason for your scar. Was that you?

I don't remember much from those days but I've always carried those quips with me.

Remember that chick Lola? Wonder what my world would look like if I chose door #2 back at that inital house party... I think she liked Rontele more anyway. Would be cool to get the crew back together and hear how things ended up for everyone.

Alas, when you taste perfection, you don't ask for seconds.
    Pretty much. I was coming over that roller at mach silly and Tommy is screaming "CLEAN IT OR BLEED" at me and I just tucked and went. Not even sure I looked. Long story, but short version: I bled.

Ha, Lola! Lola wasn't even her really name. It's Betty. Never understood why, but she was always dressing up as a guy in drag. Which just made her a woman again. Confusing. I still talk to her on facebook. She had some crazy IQ, like 160 or something. She's a mathematician at UW. Talks about you sometimes - her "best mistake." Yeah, your life would have been a lot different, that's for sure.

I'll be honest. I miss that shit. I'd be up for getting the band back together. Rontele, Tommy, Bert, Paulette, Lola, Fish, Teo, Fitz, Reid, John, you, me - jesus, lotta folks. It was like "Swift, Silent, Deep" except the exact fucking opposite. Except for the deep part. That was the same.

You still have the tat, right?

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll have to figure out how to get the storm yellow lenses configured into a pair of smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

I've got three pairs, and they last about a half a day when storm skiing. I'll typically ski with a second pair in my pack to address fogging issues.
    I'm done with Smith. Had issues with fogging between the lenses and smith's customer service was worthless. Switched to Julbo and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by RyansFaith View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll have to figure out how to get the storm yellow lenses configured into a pair of smiths.
    Superglue yellow cellophane on. Same thing.

I got some clear Uvex goggles that I use with interchangeable red and amber break and turn signal lenses inside of them. The ‘71 Toyota Corona lenses fit the best but their getting harder to find these days.

Did you guys ever get the monkey out of the pickle barrell?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I made rontele puke from oxygen debt mtn biking up the steep side of green mountain when he first came to CO. I forget what year that was. Maybe 2008? Long fucking time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

Did you guys ever get the monkey out of the pickle barrell?
    No. It was terrible. I don’t wanna talk about it.

What the fuck was Fitz thinking? But it was kinda your fault too when you think about it.

ok

I will take some of the blame. But the midget was threatening to set the ferris wheel on fire and didn’t really know what to do with the monkey. You guys didn’t have to throw the barrell in the river.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    ok

I will take some of the blame. But the midget was threatening to set the ferris wheel on fire and didn’t really know what to do with the monkey. You guys didn’t have to throw the barrell in the river.
    The Ferris Wheel. That was a great bar. Always fun when Rontele was slinging drinks.

Seriously, Conundrum and I still feel terrible about the monkey. But if you wouldn’t have given him the gun I don’t think we would have been so worried. In fairness to us he didn’t seem any worse for the wear when he showed up at Paulette’s with Rhett Miller the next week.

Except for the shaved head.

Also, Miller is a weird dude.

Did anyone try to add magnet to their goggles to make them Anon MFI compatible?

Got a lot of ChromaPop screens (Sun Black/Sun Platinum/Storm Rose/Storm Yellow, all Smith ChromaPop on Squad XL) and just ski them systematicaly back to back in different conditions.
    Found it a bit counter intuitive but for a flat-light in alpine conditions I have more contrast with the darkest Sun Black than with Storm Rose or Storm Yellow lens. The picture from Sun Black is much darker of course, but with a much more contrast. Both Storm lenses with larger VLT just overexpose my vision too much, and are good only for below the tree level skiing or late in the evening/night.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

I have pair of Smith IO Mags and they fog considerably more than my older IOs. That and they can't even keep the snow out.
    Name:  goggle.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  57.6 KB

Don't storm ski ..... duh.

As tempting as it is to join in the frivolity, some one has to be the adult here. The OP is fucked: old, weak eyes gonna be old and weak. Avoid flat light and shadows at all costs.

I have Oakley Line Miners in rose for most days, but I'm in need of something for storm and more VLT. Oakley is dogshit for replacement lenses so I might switch over to smith, or spy. But y'all bitching on Smith makes me lean towards spy.

Same problem as OP, super sensitive to depth perception and getting old as fuck.

I’ve been very happy with Oakley Prizm lenses in terms of contrast, versatility, comfort and fogging. I find it frustrating they are behind the times in terms of lens swapping. I used to have a pair of Airbrakes that swapped easily but they discontinued it without replacement as best I can tell.

If I didn’t get favorable pricing on Oakley I’d probably give Anon’s MFI stuff a shot. I’ve been pretty unimpressed by my brief forays into Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I have pair of Smith IO Mags and they fog considerably more than my older IOs. That and they can't even keep the snow out.
    Name:  goggle.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  57.6 KB
    Bump. Was about got get some IO Mag XL or if not, some Squad MAGs. Wondering if the fogging is universal across Smith's stuff right now?