Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

challenges of living in a van in big sky?

Hi,

I have a job up in big sky but no housing. I figured my best option would be to freeze my ass off in a van or truck with a cab over camper.
    Does anybody have any advice or know how strict they are with people camping out in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by kameronuns View Post
    Hi,

I have a job up in big sky but no housing. I figured my best option would be to freeze my ass off in a van or truck with a cab over camper.
    Does anybody have any advice or know how strict they are with people camping out in parking lots?
    Pretty strict. You can camp overnight in the Pony lot but not long term. Oh and its been like -20 the last few nights.

You can try joining THIS group on facesmash. Good luck.

Hi,

Waited til the last second to try and find housing, huh? Tsk. Tsk. I suggest either (a) browsing Craigslist daily to find somebody looking for a roommate, or (b) hook up with a Yellowstone Club cougar and crash out at her mansion for the season. Personally, I'd go with option B. For some great dirtbag tips, though, read Warren Miller's "Wine, Women, Warren & Skis" Guy practically invented dirtbagging and describes it in great detail in that book. It CAN be done. Maybe start by insulating the crap out of your van, then park in different lots/spaces daily to keep out of trouble?

Best of luck, man. Vibes+++

Can you not get to the lower parking lot of north fork in the winter? seems like it wouldn't be a bad spot to post up

^That. check north fork. i believe there are residences up that way so they probly plow it. and as long as u move around, it shouldnt be a problem. also, i bet living in a van is better than employee housing up there anyways..
    long live the jahrator

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Hi,

Yes, they're dicks about camping. And most things.

I did a combo of van camping and utilizing the then-free, now cheap bus from Bozeman for a couple of seasons. It wasn't a bad quality of life at all. Or you could check Cinnamon Lodge and 320 Ranch; I think they do long-term "deals" on their summer vacation cabins. Good luck!

Find the gate code for Beehive and park at the nicest empty mansion with a nice hot tub to poach. Or hookup with some skeeze from the black bear and stay at her studio hill condo.....

inspiring advice in this thread. my winter plans are going to shit by the hour.

Too be quite logical, what cougar in Big Sky would want to leave their rich husbands for a dirtbagger? I heard the 70s and 80s are over with, and women have different standards these days.

Looks like a case of frosty the snowman to me, good luck dude, it's a bit colder in Mantana than it is in California.
    She's just another 3/4"standard sheet of ac plywood...smooth, tall, wide, and an extra 24 cents per sq. foot

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Find the gate code for Beehive and park at the nicest empty mansion with a nice hot tub to poach. Or hookup with some skeeze from the black bear and stay at her studio hill condo.....
    Solids
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    # 911 has always worked for me at that particular gate.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

There's nothing more 2 ad that hasn't been said. However, the county jail might be an option.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Damn, that would suck. Place was a pain in the ass to poach camping while doing a job there this summer. Hid our tents in some woods on the job, but that was summer. Vibes for sure. Another place where the rich want to be served but do not want to look at the poor schmucks who have to serve them. Weird place, that Big Sky.

I strongly recommend parking in a van down by the river.

Not Big Sky exactly, but there are plenty of plowed trailheads along the road up from Four Corners. Most of them are pretty close to the highway but I car camped in one that was about 100 yards or so off and perfectly fine. Potties are locked but otherwise it was reasonable. At least you won't have to worry about someone bugging you. In the other direction, toward West Yellowstone, there are more pullouts and trailheads.

Quote Originally Posted by mcclintock View Post
    Too be quite logical, what cougar in Big Sky would want to leave their rich husbands for a dirtbagger? I heard the 70s and 80s are over with, and women have different standards these days.
    A divorced one?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

I'd look into a Mr. Heater

Quote Originally Posted by mcclintock View Post
    Nobody's talking about married ones. The recently divorced chicks with hudge settlements are the best ones. And one doesn't take on the appearance of a dirtbagger to bag a cougar. You must be camouflaged to best blend in with their natural surroundings. You must know nothing about cougar hunting.

Now if you REALLY wanna set yourself up right, you go straight for the snow leopard. Then you have a good shot at getting into her will and in a few years inheriting her mansion at the YC, so the older the better. No more worrying about finding housing during ski season!

Thanks for all the posts. I have a temporary place to crash, throw in the van a few nights a week and it might not be too bad. I am a bit concerned about the Montana cold, the warm sunny California days have more than likely ruined me. I don't think Warren Miller had anything close to a Mr. Buddy heater. Wine, Women and Warren in is a classic book, too bad those days are long gone. I hear there is a decent gym to get a membership to shower and kill some time when you aren't out on the mountain. As far as staying with cougars goes, somebody really needs to make a website called cougarden.com it would be similar to couchsurfing but cougars offering beds to young ski bum, travelers.

Would it be hard to park your van in employee housing parking areas?

If you slept outside right now without some kind of insulation and heater, you would look like splat's screen grab from The Shining. I think even with an RV fitted out for winter, it would still be pretty tough.
    The Walmart parking lot in Bozeman will be a little warmer and sunnier than Big Sky, but not much.
    It's a dry cold, but it's going to regularly be in the negatives F until mid-January. As an added bonus, it gets dark really early, too.
    I don't just mean at night, btw. I mean the high will be in the negatives Fahrenheit, especially higher up in Big Sky, but not to rare down in Bozeman, either.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've heard its warmer if you're down by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    I've heard its warmer if you're down by the river.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I was think more along the lines of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhGUXeOz0U