Free the powder mitten review.

So... I know FTP has hooked mags up for awhile. I ordered their first gen gloves. I also know they have a cult following here. BUT I wanted to write a brief review of their mitten I just received last week and have skied 3 days now.

First. The first gen glove was WAY to tight on my hand. Ordered and XL and just couldn’t work. For reference I wear a 10 Hestra. In fact, another mag on here now has em and hope they are rad for him.

My fingers get SUPER cold. I’ve been in the hestra gore Tex army gloves for 5 years. Still waterproof. Not warm. Like really fucking cold fingers not warm!

I’ve been looking for a mitten and was ready to pull the trigger on the 160 buck hestra when I remembered FTP!

Jumped on their site. Did the measurement. And the mitten w the long cuff was on sale.

They arrived and I gave em 4 layers of NoSno. Probably will give em more as the leather is super supple.

The fit. Absolutely perfect for
    My size 10 hestra, or xl FTP hand. Not baggy but not tight.

Skied em three days. Not below zero days but not balmy by any means. In fact, another mag and I skied w ice beards at Schw when I was wearing em. Blustery.

I commented numerous time to Kootenai that they are the best mittens ever. So warm.

I’ve taken the liner out a couple times to dry em. Absolutely wonderful Velcro attachment. Take the liners out. The liners are mittens too which I prefer! Dry em. Put the liners on and then the overmitts on. The Velcro is the perfect attachment once the overmitt is slid on.

In conclusion. The mitten from FTP this year... well.... it fucking perfect. At least for me.

Ima ordering another pair tomorrow for when these die in 6 years.

Props FTP. Keep it up homies!

Nice! I’ve been rocking them since the first batch. I wear the Spring Glove/BC 80% of the time as my hands run warm. I love lobster style gloves so the wife got me a pair for xmas for the really cold days. They fit well, little snug on the pointer finger, that’s ok as they will stretch.
    Looks like they will come in handy next week.

I have a pair of FTP gloves and mittens; after buying the gloves I bought the mittens because my hands are getting colder these days. I like them, they're well made and good value. But not warm enough for the cold days. I wonder if you got a newer model or if my fingers are just really bad.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Have you tried nitrile/latex gloves inside? It sounds dumb but I've gained a surprising amount of warmth by wearing them. Used mechanix gloves down to about 10 once because my others got soaked

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Have you tried nitrile/latex gloves inside? It sounds dumb but I've gained a surprising amount of warmth by wearing them. Used mechanix gloves down to about 10 once because my others got soaked
    I haven't, but I will! Have a whole box of those, it sure won't hurt me to burn through a pair or two.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You liking these better than "those work gloves"? I've tried other more expensive gloves, and they're more supple. Better fit, but don't know if they feel a few times $ more valuable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0282.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	309822
    The velcro closures on my FTP Spring Gloves weren’t catching anymore, so I cut them off and sewed in neoprene gaskets (from a beer kookie), which work better than the original. The perfect cold weather touring glove.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    are these working for people in wet-ish environments too? Yes, my hands get cold enough to warrant mittens in the PNW. Does the treatment hold up well to repeated wet snow, snain? thanks

Free the powder mitten review.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    are these working for people in wet-ish environments too? Yes, my hands get cold enough to warrant mittens in the PNW. Does the treatment hold up well to repeated wet snow, snain? thanks
    Wet snow yes, snain to rain, I haven’t had luck. Just purchased Hestra’s with a membrane for that reason and dig em.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I use “those work gloves” for touring and won’t ever change.

Can’t comment on the wet.

I’ve got the sx gloves as daily drivers and they’ve been warm and great (only complaint: quite hard to get back on if my hands are wet on a storm day).

Also bought the Polar Mitts (merged with Baldy Mitts for this season - not sure of the implications, but seem the same except Velcro cuffs while mine are gauntlet), for super cold days. Had them out on a very windy, -15 F day, and never had cold hands (my feet on the other hand...). Awesome mitt! Liners are not removable, which I actually prefer. Just take FTP’s advice and size up with these vs their “normal” gloves.

OTOH, I did not like FTP’s waterproofing goop. It keeps the leather super soft/supple (unlike SnoSeal), but it is not very waterproof at all (even with 4 applications before initial use).

SnoSeal, hairdryer-ed in, will continue to be my go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    With monthly reapplications of Snoseal, I’ve found they’re as waterproof as any other high-end gloves with membranes on wet snow days. Everything gets soaked in the rain.

Heavy wet snow seems to work its way into my leather gloves. I've used the Hestra leather balm, and then I have used another knock off brand that I can't remember the name of. I like my FTP gloves. Warmer than my Hestra gloves for sure.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    OTOH, I did not like FTP’s waterproofing goop. It keeps the leather super soft/supple (unlike SnoSeal), but it is not very waterproof at all (even with 4 applications before initial use).

SnoSeal, hairdryer-ed in, will continue to be my go-to.
    Yes. But the FTP is a great skin lotion. And it smells nicer
    . . .

+1 for the mitts when it's really cold. +1 for the gauntlet gloves when it's cold. Both a snug fit in size M...Very similar to most other brands in size M (I have BD, MHW, OR...and I like my gloves tightish). I have the old versions without liners. I dont like liners at the resort. Too much of a pain as I find myself pulling my gloves or mitts on/off quite a bit. Also like the gloves for belaying while ice climbing (mostly because they were so much less expensive than my XCR OR gloves)...
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~