Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Capitol Reef and Bryce: Where to Stay?

Coming next fall, maybe early October, to SLC to go to Capitol Reef, then scenic Hwy 12 to Bryce, then back to SLC and back East. Probably two nights at Capitol and three at Bryce.

I see the Bryce Canon Inn, but was wondering what others might recommend for lodging at each? Plan to do day hiking, although would be interested in camping, if I dont have to lug all out gear from back East.

Thanks.

The lodge in Bryce is supposed to be a great place to stay. The park is small and car camping is limited. Most of the day hikes go out from there.

REI in Salt Lake rents camping gear, I think.

I think the University does too, even if you aren't a student.

Hells backbone grill

The lodge at Bryce looks cool. We stayed at Ruby’s, which was nice and a little cheaper. There are several other even cheaper motels close by.

Thx!

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app

If camping, might want to take a look at staying nearby Bryce, but lower elevation. Bryce Canyon is high up and cold.

Red Canyon is near -
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixi...a/?recid=24942
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'll 2nd Hell's Backbone Grill. Place is super legit.

If car camping. There is awesome car camping off Spencer Flats Rd. on the way to Escalante.
    is this thing on?

All this is helpful.

We ate at Hell’s Backbone Grill, as well. It was good, but I thought maybe a little overpriced, and the service was a bit slow. But a unique experience.

I would advise you not taking this trip. There's a lot a conservatives with guns in that part of Utah. I know how that frightens you.

How come I'm not surprised you're from the east coast?
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    I would advise you not taking this trip. There's a lot a conservatives with guns in that part of Utah. I know how that frightens you.

Well, no one has advised him to check out the local glory holes. But, hey, if you want to find those kinds of folks, check out the local glory holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Well, no one has advised him to check out the local glory holes. But, hey, if you want to find those kinds of folks, check out the local glory holes.
    You don't find those kinds of folks, they find you.

He just needs to stay on the east coast, that's where his safe space is.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    there's a nice little B&B in Escalante. not a huge amount of stuff near Capitol Reef. I recommend against staying in Panguitch for Bryce access, that town is booooring
    There are a number of Airbnb choices in Torrey and Teasdale along with tipis, wagons and other motelly type places just outside of cap reef.

I shoot better than you do.

If you show up when we're out there, I bet I can beat the shit out of you.

Can you relate to those two things?

And, thanks for the nice welcome.

Laughin!

Sure city boy, what ever you say.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

Laughin!

Sure city boy, what ever you say.
    I think the folks in his part of the world are generally better shots than in your part of the world, and I've hunted in both areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I think the folks in his part of the world are generally better shots than in your part of the world, and I've hunted in both areas.
    Yea right! LMAO!!!!
    I've read some of what you've written about hunting and I came to the conclusion that you're completely fucking clueless about it. Like when you said you'll only hunt waterfowl with a 10 gauge or a "super mag". I asked you wtf is a super mag and you never responded.

In the east where it's generally more wooded where shots at game tend to be closer as opposed to the more open west where shots can be hundreds of yards but folks in the east tend to be better shots. Ok whatever dude.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.

Fly into Vegas and rent a campervan
    Capital Reef is super cool but the closest town is not as fun as the campground.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Capital Reef is super cool but the closest town is not as fun as the campground.
    The campground where you have to fight off the wild turkeys to get to the bathroom?? Fuck those turkeys

Drive to the strike valley overlook, then up the pass to the hells backbone grill. The waterpocket fold is not to be missed. There are a few camp sites in between there, and the petrified wood area, lots to do and explore.

Three nights at Bryce? Do you have three days planned out, like long hikes, or are you just guessing that's a good amount of time in the park?

Be sure to visit Khodachrome Basin Park nearby, it has the most glorious phallic-looking hoodoo I ever did see.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    I have done exactly this. And it is hands down the way to go. Campervan or small RV are not hard at all to manage and cost much less than a hotel room per day. The views are much better too. Strongly consider this option.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Capitol Reef and Bryce: Where to Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Three nights at Bryce? Do you have three days planned out, like long hikes, or are you just guessing that's a good amount of time in the park?

Be sure to visit Khodachrome Basin Park nearby, it has the most glorious phallic-looking hoodoo I ever did see.
    Long hikes=good.

Three days in Bryce park? Yikes. Boring crowded and not enjoyable. Bryce is beautiful but man there are sooooooooo many people. I’d prefer 3-4 days at the Capitol reef>escalante and then one or two at Bryce. Way nicer experience being away from the throngs of “tourists” at Bryce.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I saw a family go about 200’ into a “hike” at bryce and stop panting to unpack lunch lol... but there’s tons of cool shit around there besides the actual park
    We like to walk. Yeah, we'll manage a tad more than 200'. Three days too much? Welll, never been there, but as I said, we like to hike. Btw, we'll hike without fear of being shot at as birdcunter will be tending his livestock and trying to pick a date for homecoming, which is about the time of year we plan to go.

I like the camper van idea. Never would've thought of that. Beats sleeping on the ground in the ADKs.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

Hells backbone grill
    Thirded...um...fourthed? That place is an awesome place to stay as well as eat. It's also right at the entrance to the Burr trail if you have the proper wheels and want to see a bit more of Cap Reef.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Yup cunting. Just like you and the other Whiney east coast snowflakes cunting the gun thread.

Have a nice trip. Try not to get lost dumbfuck.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    From my cold dead hands.