Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Your sister is obviously a good person too. Very generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    You were a GC right? Imagine that industry standard is cost plus 6. Then the "competitive" guys are bidding plus 5. So the "hungry" guys start bidding plus 4. So the "new" guys start bidding plus 3...

Everyone is try to protect themselves from a race to the bottom.
    20% min mark up getting close to 22% gotta eat and I can't decide if I'm going to arizona or france in january for the month

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    20% min mark up getting close to 22% gotta eat and I can't decide if I'm going to arizona or france in january for the month
    What happened to our contractor when he took a week off around Thanksgiving with his family is his carpenters ghosted him when he got back. Maybe labor isn't so tight where you are.

Something interesting just happened to me today. While I was at my wife's Naturalization ceremony, I received a call from a builder who knows that I own a lot in town. He told me that someone is interested in buying my lot and having his company build a house on it. Currently, the lot is listed with a realtor. Neither the builder nor the prospective buyer discovered the lot as a result of the listing. Rather, the buyer is only aware of my lot because of his relationship with the builder, who is aware of the property because of his relationship with me.
    I am under the impression that if I sell this lot to the interested party, I will pay 3% to my realtor. I have no problem with this. Even though, she has done nothing to bring this buyer to me, she has done work marketing my property. Therefore, she is entitled to her 3%.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yeah where I live it would be 3% if you list it with a realtor but you end up bringing the buyer if the listing agreement is still in force.

Good for you, though. And good for your wife, say hey and congrats to U. for me!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah I get it, for me this was always more about what should I do rather than what do I legally have to do.

Wife's perfectly fine with not paying the agent anything. I'm gonna read the contract when I can (and before I do anything else) and see what's what.
    Cal your agent. Doubtful that you owe them a thing legally, but you might as well score some good karma and have them represent you throughout the contract process, at a reduced rate. I have a weird deal that I'm doing right now for 1%, kind of a similar thing. Figure I'd rather help the deal get done smoothly and make a little money than be all pissy and get $0.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Figure I'd rather help the deal get done smoothly and make a little money than be all pissy and get $0.
    Seems reasonable.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i sent them peeps telapathic messages to buy the ice house
    normally i gits 4.20 % for such things
    id be stoked for them spatulas cloggin up your ski locker
    and a few edibles to be named later
    oh and i gits to drive the new boat at some point
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    judging by your posts the last thing you need is more cannabinoids.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    choo got it mang

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sig worthy...

Coffee sprayed.

I'm going devil's advocate and saying I'd like to see what would happen if sfb had more.

2 Betties are now infused?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

ice has new boat?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am under the impression that if I sell this lot to the interested party, I will pay 3% to my realtor. I have no problem with this. Even though, she has done nothing to bring this buyer to me, she has done work marketing my property. Therefore, she is entitled to her 3%.
    The answer to that is in your listing agreement. The most common arrangement in this town is that the agent would receive the full commission (whatever that number is).

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ice has new boat?
    nah not yet. This winter I hope. The Admiral is on board with the idea though, which is hudge.

Can we have a naming contest?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

GL w/ it ice, feel free to pm.. about the boat.

interested in a classic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	389FD13C-8CDF-4AAF-9598-19BE392D6B63.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	536.7 KB 
ID:	292403

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Can we have a naming contest?
    Sure. If I pick a name somebody suggests I'll...something. No idea what, but something.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    GL w/ it ice, feel free to pm.. about the boat.
    Thanks J., I've been thinking pretty hard (well, for me) about it for a couple years at least and this is what I've come up with except with a single engine, probably no back to the pilothouse and a second captain's chair instead of the bench : http://steigercraft.com/255miami.html It mainly came down to this and a similar Parker.

Maybe not white. They're good boats, built tough and no frills. Should let me get out a lot more days I hope. Can sleep on it, it won't be luxury, but that's okay. Now I just gotta sell the old one and a house and I can order it.

I gotta take a little exception to the above.

First to answer Ice's question, it's all about the listing agreement and in absence of a contractual obligation, what you think is right and fair, and a subsequent conversation with the broker if that's where you decide to go.

So Austin, imagine you worked as a salesperson for a company producing a product. You only get paid if you sell the product. Imagine, as a couple of really easy examples, that the company wanted way too much for that product, or that for some reason there just wasn't a market for it at that moment in time. You juste or how hard you worked.

Imagine you went to work one day and your boss says, "ya know, because we had a slow month I'm not going to pay you for the last 2 weeks, 'K?"

Imagine that after you have busted your ass trying to sell the product, create a market for it, trying to convince the creator of the product they'd have much more success selling the product with anyone if the price was more in line with the dictates of the marketplace, that you left that position after doing your very best. Imagine that, shortly thereafter, the creator of that product decides to adjust the price downwards, or some market factor shifts so that there now is a market for that product, and they sell a bazzilion units.

I kind of suspect that your feelings wouldn't resonate with you as 'butthurtz", but maybe frustration and a bummer that those things didn't line up when you were the salesman. Chances are that you wouldn't get very far (barring a written agreement) going back to that company and trying to get some recompense for all your unrewarded hard work.

99% of the time it is not the agent's fault that something doesn't sell, and they've worked hard because - DUH - they WANT it to sell so the CAN get rewarded for their work.

There are a million different flavors of brokers out there, and granted, some are utter douchenozzles. Most however are hardworking people who want their clients to succeed as mush as they do themselves because - DUH - business grows and flourishes if they have happy customers.

Is a broker entitled to any compensation after an agreement and its time frames have expired? Nah. Do they deserve it? Maybe, and not always, but sometimes.

I do get a little tired of all this bullshit people spout about what dickheads brokers are because they want, as anyone else in the fucking working world does, to be rewarded for their efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I gotta take a little exception to the above.

First to answer Ice's question, it's all about the listing agreement and in absence of a contractual obligation, what you think is right and fair, and a subsequent conversation with the broker if that's where you decide to go.

So Austin, imagine you worked as a salesperson for a company producing a product. You only get paid if you sell the product. Imagine, as a couple of really easy examples, that the company wanted way too much for that product, or that for some reason there just wasn't a market for it at that moment in time. You juste or how hard you worked.

Imagine you went to work one day and your boss says, "ya know, because we had a slow month I'm not going to pay you for the last 2 weeks, 'K?"

Imagine that after you have busted your ass trying to sell the product, create a market for it, trying to convince the creator of the product they'd have much more success selling the product with anyone if the price was more in line with the dictates of the marketplace, that you left that position after doing your very best. Imagine that, shortly thereafter, the creator of that product decides to adjust the price downwards, or some market factor shifts so that there now is a market for that product, and they sell a bazzilion units.

I kind of suspect that your feelings wouldn't resonate with you as 'butthurtz", but maybe frustration and a bummer that those things didn't line up when you were the salesman. Chances are that you wouldn't get very far (barring a written agreement) going back to that company and trying to get some recompense for all your unrewarded hard work.

99% of the time it is not the agent's fault that something doesn't sell, and they've worked hard because - DUH - they WANT it to sell so the CAN get rewarded for their work.

There are a million different flavors of brokers out there, and granted, some are utter douchenozzles. Most however are hardworking people who want their clients to succeed as mush as they do themselves because - DUH - business grows and flourishes if they have happy customers.

Is a broker entitled to any compensation after an agreement and its time frames have expired? Nah. Do they deserve it? Maybe, and not always, but sometimes.

I do get a little tired of all this bullshit people spout about what dickheads brokers are because they want, as anyone else in the fucking working world does, to be rewarded for their efforts.
    Totally fair rant. Sorry if I painted with too large a brush. I LOVE my agent duo (husband and wife team) I have here now. One I used back in '03 or so and busted their ass for me back then to buy a home. They were incredible when I used them as listing agents a few years later. When I moved back to town last year they were still in business and working their butts off hard as ever so I used them again, and they were total rock stars in helping me buy again.

Perhaps they're great because they work in a hyper competitive market where they can't just sit on their asses if they ever want to help a buyer or a seller make a deal happen. SOOOOOOOOO different than rich ski resort real estate markets. Vastly superior experience all the way around. Maybe that's why I rip on certain resort market agents so much. Because I've had the bar set high as to what a customer should expect. I really don't mind paying a healthy commission when they DO work hard and make every step of it as smooth and seamless as possible, and actually make that commission up by actually getting you more when you sell, let alone working tirelessly to find you that right buyer. Ski town agents be like, "Ain't nobody got time for that! It just snowed last night! Gottago bai!"

Real Estate Question

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Thanks J., I've been thinking pretty hard (well, for me) about it for a couple years at least and this is what I've come up with except with a single engine, probably no back to the pilothouse and a second captain's chair instead of the bench : http://steigercraft.com/255miami.html It mainly came down to this and a similar Parker.

Maybe not white. They're good boats, built tough and no frills. Should let me get out a lot more days I hope. Can sleep on it, it won't be luxury, but that's okay. Now I just gotta sell the old one and a house and I can order it.
    Damn that’s nice, you think good. Not sure if you noticed the second feature listed on the website? 3 cup holders. Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Here's a little story: my wife helped a single grandma buy a home last year. It involved continuous hand-holding, talk-out-of-ing (don't but the singlewide that meth-heads rented, don't buy the "fixer" that should be condemned, don't buy the no sewer hookup with failed septic, don't buy on the cul-de-sac where the bikers live, etc... I am not even exaggerating). It also involved putting well over 1000 miles on her car driving all over three towns, and some last minute wrangling with the loan officer. I don't even remember how long it all took, six weeks, two months? ...but what I do remember is that the time+effort=money yielded less than minimum wage.

There are good honest folks, and shitheads in most professions.