Page 907 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 ... LastLast
Results 22,651 to 22,675 of 26889
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

Just saying people should give it some thought, given the crazy escalation in build costs these days. I don't think insurance has kept up. I believe the Marshall Fire near Boulder last year showed this to be true, from what I've read. Lots of people who thought they had adequate coverage did not, due to rapid recent price escalations.
    ya good point ^^ where ever one lives
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    insurance is whatever you paid for and they will pay, which is a huge range
    No.
    You need to be insured for 80% of replacement cost. It’s a legal scam. But rarely enforced.

I wish USAA just offered "Guaranteed Replacement Coverage" as trying to convince them to bump the coverage up to 500 a sq ft is exhausting.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I wish USAA just offered "Guaranteed Replacement Coverage" as trying to convince them to bump the coverage up to 500 a sq ft is exhausting.
    Eh? I did it online and it was nothing more than a few mouse clicks...

Huh, and here I have been talking to a rep and getting the run around. Let me try that and thanks.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-08-19 085516.png
Views: 526
Size:  15.3 KB
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

I also did it online with USAA at 600/sqft.

You can tweak some settings to make sure your house finish and build match. If found they had wrong parameters for the house construction.

I still got told on the phone that I was over insuring because USAA was *certain* their algorithm was right that I could rebuild for 400/sqft because they were certain they could find contractors using their super powers. This was after I told them that contractors wouldn't even talk to you below 500/sqft for the most basic build.

But, they didn't stop me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Huh, and here I have been talking to a rep and getting the run around. Let me try that and thanks.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-08-19 085516.png
Views: 526
Size:  15.3 KB
    One of the drawbacks of having a multi-million dollar abode? My plebian hovel required nothing special to increase coverage.

Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

NH electric just doubled for the next 6 months if not more, is this not happening elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    NH electric just doubled for the next 6 months if not more, is this not happening elsewhere?
    It only doubled if you didn't change your electrical supplier. A bunch of it is just profit taking by Eversource.

A lot of people don't realize how underinsured their home is these days due to rising costs. People should increase their coverage significantly.
    Alot of people who lost their homes in the Marshall fire found that out the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A lot of people don't realize how underinsured their home is these days due to rising costs. People should increase their coverage significantly.
    I just raised ours for this reason

I've had mixed results trying to get my insurance coverage raised. My place in Idaho, located right at the edge of the National Forest with legitimate fire danger, didn't even get calls back when I wanted to up my coverage. No company wanted to touch my place for anything close to a realistic replacement value. I'm sure there are actuaries in the basement yelling at higher ups telling them to run the fuck away from any place out West that has any sort of realistic fire danger.

Now my place in NH was easy breezy, sure we'll add more coverage and it only cost me like an extra hundred bucks a year for an additional 200k. It is a well built house, with no immediate threats. They'll take my money all day long.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I've had mixed results trying to get my insurance coverage raised. My place in Idaho, located right at the edge of the National Forest with legitimate fire danger, didn't even get calls back when I wanted to up my coverage. No company wanted to touch my place for anything close to a realistic replacement value. I'm sure there are actuaries in the basement yelling at higher ups telling them to run the fuck away from any place out West that has any sort of realistic fire danger.
    To be honest... I'm kind of surprised it has taken insurance companies so long to run screaming from anything *near* wildfire areas.

And I suspect that they are going to start running away from, what we have discovered the hard way, are at-risk suburbs, outside the classic wildland/urban interface.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    To be honest... I'm kind of surprised it has taken insurance companies so long to run screaming from anything *near* wildfire areas.

And I suspect that they are going to start running away from, what we have discovered the hard way, are at-risk suburbs, outside the classic wildland/urban interface.
    Even some developments/homes inside the wildand/urban growth boundaries are dicey. We had an audit done of our place recently. We have no landscaping yet, but there are numerous houses in our neighborhood that would go up like a dried pile of kindling if a forest fire shed some embers our way. Which, apparently happened about 13 years ago. So, you would think that our HOA would have been more proactive after that event. But they waited until after the Paradise fire to start up a proactive review process of home owners defensible spaces. We are going to take down two junipers and two Ponderosa's as a result. Numerous other neighbors have started removing trees that are w/i 10' of their house. Now if we could only get our neighbor to remove a few trees, it might improve our views of Mt. Jefferson....
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The idea of cutting down trees within 10' of a house for defensible space is somewhat laughable. The radiant heat from a tree torching 50 or more feet from a house is enough to make a house combust. Flames and embers can easily cover that distance as well.

Flame lengths are 3x fuel height, so if you have a 50 foot tall ponderosa torching it will produce flames 150 feet high. In a wind driven fire, those flames could directly impact a structure 100 feet away.

Something else of note- it's worth having the ability to shut down your HVAC system remotely. If you ever get evacuated, turn off the HVAC so that your system doesn't pull outside air into the house.

For landscaping considerations, if you are planting anything near your house, aspens are probably a lot safer than anything coniferous. Just make sure to clean up leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    No.
    You need to be insured for 80% of replacement cost. It’s a legal scam. But rarely enforced.
    It's more nuanced/insurance nerdy than this. Most, not all policies, have a coinsurance clause that will list the xx%. This only comes into play for a partial loss. If you have a building insured for $1m replacement and it burns to the ground, they'll write you a check for $1m. If you have a $2m building insured for $1m with 80% coinsurance and hail does $100k worth of damage to your roof, insurance will pay $50k towards the damage because you didn't insure a limit of at least 80% to value and they will pay a proportionate amount insured. This is a pretty simple explanation and it can be far more complicated.

There is typically an inflation guard of 4-6% annual limit increase built in. It's not enough to keep up with construction inflation.

While insurance might be viewed as a scam, don't insure your Benz for the value of a Kia and expect to get a new Benz when you wreck. Insurance companies don't lose money very often. Check the limits of your policy and make sure their sufficient if that is something that concerns you. Most people are currently underinsured on their houses with the boom in construction costs that are going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Yeah. You spelled it out better.

But it’s a scam. If I want $20k insurance on a $500k house, I should get the $20k on a small loss. Fuck this coinsurance crap. I don’t insure my buildings for the random outlier. I would prefer to be underinsured.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yeah. You spelled it out better.

But it’s a scam. If I want $20k insurance on a $500k house, I should get the $20k on a small loss. Fuck this coinsurance crap. I don’t insure my buildings for the random outlier. I would prefer to be underinsured.
    You should buy an agreed value policy.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The idea of cutting down trees within 10' of a house for defensible space is somewhat laughable. The radiant heat from a tree torching 50 or more feet from a house is enough to make a house combust. Flames and embers can easily cover that distance as well.

Flame lengths are 3x fuel height, so if you have a 50 foot tall ponderosa torching it will produce flames 150 feet high. In a wind driven fire, those flames could directly impact a structure 100 feet away.

Something else of note- it's worth having the ability to shut down your HVAC system remotely. If you ever get evacuated, turn off the HVAC so that your system doesn't pull outside air into the house.

For landscaping considerations, if you are planting anything near your house, aspens are probably a lot safer than anything coniferous. Just make sure to clean up leaves.
    No go on the Aspens. I am not going to clean up leaves. Picking up hundreds of ponderosa pine cones is enough for me. You would also be amazed at the overhang of rooflines of all this big timber. And I agree, removing them out to at least 30' at a minimum is what the HOA is recommending but not making it mandatory just yet. Some people in our HOA are tree huggers and are very dismissive of a forest fire coming to their home. That whole, "it won't ever happen here" attitude.

The auditors also highly suggested that in the next few years that a majority of Juniper should be eradicated from the neighborhood. The survey indicated that there were an average of 12 Junipers per lot. Again, some home owners will fight this if they try to pass it. Others will have already cut them down with their chainsaws before the ink dries. Either way, less fuel the better.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    While insurance might be viewed as a scam, don't insure your Benz for the value of a Kia and expect to get a new Benz when you wreck. Insurance companies don't lose money very often. Check the limits of your policy and make sure their sufficient if that is something that concerns you. Most people are currently underinsured on their houses with the boom in construction costs that are going on.
    Back in the day people bought newspapers for the news, publishers pretended that’s what they sold, but what publishers were selling was adds. Insurance is sold to provide a pot of investable OPM for people like Warren buffet (who gets my car insurance premium). The reason I buy insurance isn’t at all aligned with the reason he sells it. This isn’t necessarily bad or good, just a disconnect

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Back in the day people bought newspapers for the news, publishers pretended that’s what they sold, but what publishers were selling was adds. Insurance is sold to provide a pot of investable OPM for people like Warren buffet (who gets my car insurance premium). The reason I buy insurance isn’t at all aligned with the reason he sells it. This isn’t necessarily bad or good, just a disconnect
    Insurance is betting against yourself. You'll only come out ahead if you have more than an average amount of unpredicted bad shit happening to you, or if you can take a cash payout and fix the situation cheaper yourself.

That said, it would take a bunch of annual premiums to equal the cost of one deer or tree jumping into my way at highway speed, so I keep paying them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

And like myself, if you're over insured, shit never goes wrong, so give them the $$$

I was renting a concrete commercial building and the roof peeled off.
    Landlord was hemming and hawing and I finally asked if he was self insured.
    Yep.
    Bought me a new roof for $10k. But that was three years of premiums.
    Smart dude. Skated by for decades with no insurance. Winning.