Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I tried on the Quantum Asolo Factor, felt like the liner was pretty thin, standard for boots in this class. The QAF I think is the lightest "touring boot" currently available, as in not marketed towards skimo racing. Lots of people here said that they run small and are short. I felt like the 27.5 was long enough for me, and I'm 27.5 in every brand (some brands like Scarpa are too short for me in 27.5). I ultimately passed on them because they have a pretty soft flex and too much volume in the heel. You could probably take up some heel volume with a thicker liner, and folks in the Dalbello thread have had success doing that. If I find a cheap late season QAF deal I might get on it because I like the race-style transitions, super light weight and acceptable fit.
    Good to know your thoughts. You say they felt too soft. What are you comparing that to? I like the stiffness of the Alien 1.0(stiffer than the Sytron) and want to ensure I don't lose that in changing boots.

How did you like the Quick Lacing System?

I want a ski mountaineering boot first and foremost. Light enough to go fast, agile enough to handle rocks and crampons well and stiff enough to ski 45*+ terrain on light 85 underfoot skis.

They are 650 right now, part of why I'm considering them.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Can't comment on the ankle fit (I haven't noticed an issue there but everyone is different) but for the velcro strap issue frorider's invention might be of interest:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...19#post6513719
    https://www.wildsnow.com/30991/elega...-the-strapoff/
    My problem is my chicken legs, not with continual adjustment. The design on the F1 requires too much force to close and eventually wore the velcro holding power requiring a new strap. I don't think this mod fixes that problem

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Good to know your thoughts. You say they felt too soft. What are you comparing that to? I like the stiffness of the Alien 1.0(stiffer than the Sytron) and want to ensure I don't lose that in changing boots.

How did you like the Quick Lacing System?

I want a ski mountaineering boot first and foremost. Light enough to go fast, agile enough to handle rocks and crampons well and stiff enough to ski 45*+ terrain on light 85 underfoot skis.

They are 650 right now, part of why I'm considering them.
    They are pretty soft. I've tried on the Sytron as well a while back and they are probably similar to the QAF. I've tried on the Alien 1.0 and its a lot stiffer. I haven't skied either one so can only comment on carpet feel. I have a friend who skis the QAF with ZG95 and likes them, but he demoed an F1 LT earlier this season and says the Scarpas have more power.

The QLS is kind of junk. My friend broke his earlier this season, and they don't offer replacement parts. Luckily he was able to get a brand new pair of replacement boots from warranty and that pair is still going strong. It just feels clunky and less refined than boa.

I bought a pair online for something like $350 or $400 brand new in the fall. Ended up getting rid of them instead of skiing them but prices lower than 650 can be found.

I also have chicken legs and haven't had issues with the velcro strap boots I've used (Roxa RX, F1 LT, and Skorpius) other than just being annoying to have to tighten at every transition (frorider's mod doesn't work for me because I run the straps so tight). I found that the fixed leg tightness settings on the Sytron weren't nearly enough for me even on the tightest setting.

Have you tried the Pierre Gignoux Mtn? Sounds like you're the perfect customer for them

They are pretty soft. I've tried on the Sytron as well a while back and they are probably similar to the QAF. I've tried on the Alien 1.0 and its a lot stiffer. I haven't skied either one so can only comment on carpet feel. I have a friend who skis the QAF with ZG95 and likes them, but he demoed an F1 LT earlier this season and says the Scarpas have more power.

The QLS is kind of junk. My friend broke his earlier this season, and they don't offer replacement parts. Luckily he was able to get a brand new pair of replacement boots from warranty and that pair is still going strong. It just feels clunky and less refined than boa.

I bought a pair online for something like $350 or $400 brand new in the fall. Ended up getting rid of them instead of skiing them but prices lower than 650 can be found.

I also have chicken legs and haven't had issues with the velcro strap boots I've used (Roxa RX, F1 LT, and Skorpius) other than just being annoying to have to tighten at every transition (frorider's mod doesn't work for me because I run the straps so tight). I found that the fixed leg tightness settings on the Sytron weren't nearly enough for me even on the tightest setting.

Have you tried the Pierre Gignoux Mtn? Sounds like you're the perfect customer for them
    Great thoughts, thanks.

That's disappointing to hear about the stiffness. I don't think I can drop back to the Sytron level of performance.

Again disappointing that they warrantied a boot over the QLS breaking. I have replaced many BOA and expect the boot to last at least 3 BOA replacements. It's also something I carry in my repair kit on multi day tours. A significant liability if it cannot be fixed in the field.

I have considered the PG Mtn idly, but never seriously. I'll have to see if I can handle them next time I'm in the EU. I have spent plenty of time around full carbon boots(my wife races on sportiva's) and I know the performance is there but the lack of lower punching makes me nervous and I'm also reticent to drop that much coin without trying on first.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    I have considered the PG Mtn idly, but never seriously. I'll have to see if I can handle them next time I'm in the EU. I have spent plenty of time around full carbon boots(my wife races on sportiva's) and I know the performance is there but the lack of lower punching makes me nervous and I'm also reticent to drop that much coin without trying on first.
    Cripple Creek still has a 26 and 26.5 MTN in stock. They had a 27.5 for a while, I hemmed and hawed and someone else got it recently.

Skimo Co stopped carrying the QAF because of lace issues. My friend kept skiing for a few weeks with the broken lace and said it wasn't too bad but he's not as picky as we are

The TGR Skinny Ski Ski Tourers' Refuge Thread

I found the QAF too soft in carpet flexing. I liked the fit a lot. I ended up w/ the F1 LT, GregL dialed the fit, and they are a lot stiffer. The F1 strap mod should help because you don’t constantly readjust the strap, set it and forget it, so the Velcro doesn’t wear out.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Benneke, timmaio…help me understand your comments about the Velcro buckle strap eg on the F1. I generally ski burly boots, so on the F1 days I am running the Velcro strap extremely tight…any tighter and I lose blood flow and my foot turs blue and dies. The StrapOff still works fine…I just have to tighten the top power strap first so that I can engage the StrapOff into its slot.

Timmao, the main advantage of the StrapOff device is that the Velcro is adjusted once and never again. Velcro degrades from being ripped apart, but if the Velcro is never being separated then how would it ever wear out?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Hey Frorider, for me there wasn't enough throw in the buckle for me to reconnect the mod to the buckle going from walk to ski mode without having to adjust the velcro. I have very skinny calves and ran the velcro strap about as tight as it could go so I doubt many others have this issue. The Skorpius buckle has more throw but unfortunately the mod doesn't quite fit in the buckle.

The Skorpius buckle has more throw but unfortunately the mod doesn't quite fit in the buckle.
    I'm confused. The skorpius strap buckle detaches at the other end for exactly this purpose, rendering the mod redundant... Right?

Holy shit you just blew my mind. Will try detaching next time I tour!

Hey Frorider, for me there wasn't enough throw in the buckle for me to reconnect the mod to the buckle going from walk to ski mode without having to adjust the velcro. I have very skinny calves and ran the velcro strap about as tight as it could go so I doubt many others have this issue. The Skorpius buckle has more throw but unfortunately the mod doesn't quite fit in the buckle.
    I got this ^ the first time, so my question remains: are you tightening the upper strap first before attempting to connect the Velcro buckle strap? Or are you one of the few users out there who took off the upper strap entirely?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Anyone skiing F1's should try this (use a wide voile strap):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211219_221257528.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	950.8 KB 
ID:	412996

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I got this ^ the first time, so my question remains: are you tightening the upper strap first before attempting to connect the Velcro buckle strap? Or are you one of the few users out there who took off the upper strap entirely?
    I was tightening the upper strap first and still couldn't connect the mod to the buckle. I am an anomaly though, I can't even use most boots with standard buckles because they don't get tight enough on my legs, need to use velcro buckle touring boots and crank them down heavily.

Yeah XL voile strap tight then hook up the Strap Off.
    I've had to drill out and re rivet buckles on boots to get snug on these chicken legs but this setup works well for me now. I'm buying a second set of strap offs for my f1lts since i use them and the F1s still

Skimoco has demo boots on sale for pretty cheap - down to $275 for some. Wide range of sizes.

Probably best to ask for pics first... they (Skimoco) are so cheap that a good deal on something makes me think they're probably totally clapped.

https://skimo.co/demo-boots

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I found the QAF too soft in carpet flexing. I liked the fit a lot. I ended up w/ the F1 LT, GregL dialed the fit, and they are a lot stiffer. The F1 strap mod should help because you don’t constantly readjust the strap, set it and forget it, so the Velcro doesn’t wear out.
    Agreed. I bought from Evo to give a try since I don't know of a local shop with the QAF and the lower scaffo bulges way too much. The cuff is fine but I found the lower far too soft.
    Also agreed what I had heard about the liner being low quality. It is very squishy and insubstantial. It feels like it is partly warmed up in the oven for a fitting.

Real bummer....

Maybe I'll give the F1 LT a try on or wait for the new Technica Zero G Peak Carbon boot

Anyone been on the blacklight 95? It's a good weight and the straighter sidecut looks like it might help with some of the hookiness complaints from the fat shovel on the BL88. The weight is basically the same since really only the waist widens vs the 88 as well.

I haven’t tried em but PTex1 has the bl95 cheap in 178 for anyone curious. I did ski the bl88 and it was close to perfect except a bit too stiff in tips and tails and the tips are too fat, seems like both issues are addressed in bl95

Ah 178 is a bit long for a spring touring ski for my 165cm scrawny self. Is the bl95 softer in the tips and tail then? That's very intriguing if so. Any other good options anyone is on in the 1200-1300g for a 170 ish length?

Quote Originally Posted by Climbers Right View Post
    Ah 178 is a bit long for a spring touring ski for my 165cm scrawny self. Is the bl95 softer in the tips and tail then? That's very intriguing if so. Any other good options anyone is on in the 1200-1300g for a 170 ish length?
    Maybe a little softer but the BL95 is still really stiff. Its a shame that lightweight skis mostly have way too much sidecut. I went so far as to buy a custom (but secondhand) ski for that quiver slot but I wish straight, skinny light skis were more available. The Aski Nevaio is cool but discontinued. Moonlight skis have straight sidecuts, especially the Mountaineer and Guide, wish they were cheaper though. I have heard they ship fast to the US. The Blizzard Zero G 95 is the most popular option in the category but it is similarly stiff and more demanding than the Blacklight. The Fischer Hannibal has a straighter sidecut but those have more mixed reviews. K2 Wayback 96 looks like a decent option as well. I haven't played with the Aski or the Moonlights but the Fischer and K2 are definitely softer than the Blacklights.

Thanks for the thorough list. Yeah. I find straighter sidecut and some long but low tail rocker makes for a much better time in weird variable. I rarely find true smooth, but firm/perfect corn where the tight sidecut where you can carve without deflection.

I'm also a fan of a more center mount for balanced hop turns and general neutral skiing where heavily driving the cuff on wimpy boots in crusts makes you feel like you're going over the bars.

The vision 98 but a bit stiffer/straighter and wayyy less delaminating would be awesome.

I demoed the wndr vital and liked it a lot but it's heavier than my DWT which doesn't make me excited. Also, it needed a burlier boot in variable snow

I love the volkl blaze 94 rocker shape but I'd like one at around a 6-8 cm mount point and carbon to drop the weight ~300g.

I should be less picky and just settle on the backland 100 and deal with the tight sidecut and apparently meh edgehold

Those moonlight skis look amazing. $1200 is a degree in dentistry away budget wise, but those are awesome shapes.

I should be less picky and just settle on the backland 100 and deal with the tight sidecut and apparently meh edgehold
    You're hanging out here so just embrace your pickiness. The Backland 100 is a very poor choice as a spring ski because the edge hold is the worst on the market, I owned it trust me. Its pretty good at everything else.

SuperGuide 95 falls into a similar range as the ZG95 and BL95, stiff and capable. 1370g at 170cm, 20M

Ibex 94 Carbon XLT could be the sweet spot and probably a bit more approachable? 1310g 170, 20M

Wayback sounds a lot like what you want. Surfy feel but still holds on firm and pretty light.