Page 147 of 508 FirstFirst ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I should have taken some pictures of the pit area at the Ultra4 race I went to yesterday, some crazy shit in there.
    Those dudes have money to burn.

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/rvs...562934883.html

I've always been interested in the dolphins, Anyone have experience with these models? Seems I remember they had some head gasket issues i.e. 6cyl vs 4cyl. She said it had some leaks that she repaired and the inside wiring doesn't work. Makes me hesitant. Mold sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_pride View Post

I've always been interested in the dolphins, Anyone have experience with these models? Seems I remember they had some head gasket issues i.e. 6cyl vs 4cyl. She said it had some leaks that she repaired and the inside wiring doesn't work. Makes me hesitant. Mold sucks.
    I don't know anything about Dolphins, but AFAIK, Toyota didn't come out with the larger more powerful 3.4L 24 valve V6 until 1997.

The RV is 26 years old, so expect lots of fix its. Me, I am not enough of an auto mechanic, carpenter, electrician, to want to own it.

Older Dolphins were notorious for broken axles and bent frames; tread carefully.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Older Dolphins were notorious for broken axles and bent frames; tread carefully.
    Anything newer than ‘87 has the right axel.
    But they are a constant project at that age. Ok if you look at it like a toy.

My only experience with Dolphins is picking up my buddy's after his engine flogged itself to death in Vail. So I would also advise caution. "There are still several projects that are unfinished but it is livable as is" sounds ominous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B825DC8-F873-487C-92DC-A0D1FDEB6D15.jpeg 
Views:	207 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	232848

I have an '89 Dolphin with the 6 cylinder engine. The RV bits are hammered, which is to be expected for a 30+ Y.O. rig but the engine has been strong. At this point I just sleep, cook and urinate in it and don't bother with keeping up maintenance on other systems. I have probably put 25K on it since buying it. You would be happy with the 6 and not the 4 cylinder. They weigh about 7K lbs. That generation of Toyota motors apparently had some head gasket issues, but my understanding (may or may not be the actual case) is that the problem was largely due to coolant having a tendency of accidentally spilling onto the engine block during maintenance. The loose coolant was able to reach the head gasket and deteriorate it. Who knows?

I did a brake job on the rear duallies, which was pricey. The other truck-related maintenance has been what you'd expect from a stock Toyota pickup from the era. The engine runs very well to this day with about 115K on the odometer.

There is something charming about having an old, hammered, relatively inexpensive RV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_pride View Post

The 3.slows had head gasket issues. It was a recall from Toyota . If that was looked after in time they’re great engines. I put over 300k on mine and it was running like a top when I sold it. Many people I talked too had much higher mileage. 145 ponies doesn’t make a rocket ship but I had zero issues . Fired up the same whether it was -20 or +20. Rust was the big thing with that vintage

Toyota sundrader is what you want. Same as the dolphin but fiberglass shell.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Toyota sundrader is what you want. Same as the dolphin but fiberglass shell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	233141

Yes.

Somebody please buy this 4x4 Diesel at government surplus auction and turn it into a baller house truck.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...76&acctid=8445

Name:  8445_4176_27.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  169.1 KB

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...565501091.html
    Over $100k invested..asking $70k. Talk about you'll never get the return for your money on this thing, it pays to do your own work folks.

This looks like a sweet option for a Tacoma until you get to the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    This looks like a sweet option for a Tacoma until you get to the price.
    That thing is going to be fucking terrible in the winter.
    A few pages back there is a Tacoma build where the guy built basically this same design..except it is a foldable hard-side that he built off a pre-existing truck topper. Super simple build really if you take a look at it, just time intensive. $6k in materials for him I believe.

Or you just do what I saw today in Denver. I have no idea why the picture is crooked. I am sticking with it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180424_102407.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	781.7 KB 
ID:	233593

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Somebody please buy this 4x4 Diesel at government surplus auction and turn it into a baller house truck.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...76&acctid=8445

Name:  8445_4176_27.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  169.1 KB
    Wow! Holy heavy duty Batman! Is that box made of cast iron? You could bash the fuck out of that thing, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Over $100k invested..asking $70k. Talk about you'll never get the return for your money on this thing, it pays to do your own work folks.
    Woah, that's to the nines! The interior is pretty slick. I'm suspicious of the rear tire clearance/travel but the compass on the side seals the deal. It just kind of sucks because you have to keep stopping the van and getting out to see which way you're going, but its big so that helps. Perhaps install a deck with a statue of Andrea Doria, could class the whole thing up a bit. It will definitely get you to the side of the road, where you can park next to a Camry. Ahhh, jealousy.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

^^^^ just an FYI-- that red state surplus crew hauler has "do not touch" written all over it. That's an old state forestry forestry/fire crew truck and it probably has had the crap bashed out of it. The reason the box is a different color is that it has been on several different cab/chassis, they're usually retired after the second or third rotation. Municipalities do the same thing with ambulance "boxes". Maintenance was likely decent (more or less), but it's been down way too many rough roads and if it ran long enough- would probably rattle you to death. Might have potential as a job site office or ??
    Nice tires though...
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    ^^^^ just an FYI-- that red state surplus crew hauler has "do not touch" written all over it. That's an old state forestry forestry/fire crew truck and it probably has had the crap bashed out of it. The reason the box is a different color is that it has been on several different cab/chassis, they're usually retired after the second or third rotation. Municipalities do the same thing with ambulance "boxes". Maintenance was likely decent (more or less), but it's been down way too many rough roads and if it ran long enough- would probably rattle you to death. Might have potential as a job site office or ??
    Nice tires though...
    I figure about $15k you could build that thing to be pretty cool on the cheap.
    $5k in upgraded motor/rebuilt tranny.
    $2500k in suspension parts
    another $2500 in replacing/rewiring all the bullshit that has been neglected
    $5k for parts alone to refurnish the box and build something worthwhile

I figure about $15k you could build that thing to be pretty cool on the cheap.
    $5k in upgraded motor/rebuilt tranny.
    $2500k in suspension parts
    another $2500 in replacing/rewiring all the bullshit that has been neglected
    $5k for parts alone to refurnish the box and build something worthwhile
    Maybe but on a truck that old with a rough history? I can see it if its got a good frame and I'm not all that shy about the motor that's in it. Alternative route: Buy it on the cheap, take out the seats and throw in a rug, put in a diesel cab heater or wood burning stove and some insulation. Surplus cot optional. Run it like you stole it.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Maybe but on a truck that old with a rough history? I can see it if its got a good frame and I'm not all that shy about the motor that's in it. Alternative route: Buy it on the cheap, take out the seats and throw in a rug, put in a diesel cab heater or wood burning stove and some insulation. Surplus cot optional. Run it like you stole it.
    The good news is you can find parts all over the place for this truck. It would be an interesting project. It'll sell though for too much probably on the .gov stuff.

"interior height is 5'5""

WTF? Why would you do that? Great for the kids I guess but I'd need to tow a camper behind it for the grown ups.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    "interior height is 5'5""

WTF? Why would you do that? Great for the kids I guess but I'd need to tow a camper behind it for the grown ups.
    There is actually many questions that I have for this specific build. Most importantly, what in the fuck did you do to get a 1995 E350 to the tune of $140k and you can't even stand up in the interior without being a tiny human. Don't get me wrong it is quality, but...$140k will get me a used 2000-something Earth Roamer. I feel like this is one of those things where someone with money just had some custom-fab shop make them whatever it is what they want..and charge them whatever they want.
    Edit: Actually apparently I can get one for cheaper than that https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...561126554.html

If I wasn't a scumbag, and was employed I would be buying this right about now. https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...561061376.html

Not sure I’d drop 35k on a van w the conversion done by the owner and over a 100k on the odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Not sure I’d drop 35k on a van w the conversion done by the owner and over a 100k on the odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    He ended up taking it to Ujoint for the conversion to 6'', and it is actually on their website. It is a decent price for what it is. Like he mentions in the ad. The miles aren't an issue at all, for me at least I think that is low.
    The van stand alone is $3-5k
    Conversion + high top + bumpers + fuel tank + wheels + tires you are looking at $12-15k alone
    Add in another $3-5k for interior + things such as exhaust etc.
    So, you come out to probably $25-28k in parts.
    The price is fair considering Sportsmobile's of the same setup would go for $50k+ easily.

This is the exact setup I am looking for just not the right time. I am going to sell my Subaru then get a van for full-time daily driving(I don't commute/drive much as I bike almost everywhere in town). No need for the 3rd vehicle.