Page 135 of 183 FirstFirst ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 4557
    Tour du Nord tomorrow. Hoping for a bit of consolidation for a long approach and lower angle run-outs that, if fast, make for long runs. Anyone tour north of Morrisville in the last day or two? How's the Schnee?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    NES rawked today. Bell to Bell. Boot deep untracked. Got yelled at by the neighbor for skiing his pasture. Watched a box sled race. Fun times.
    Careful with those "Take back Vermont" boys or you'll be a trophy on the wall of their den.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Thanks. I like your beacon check idea. You skiing WF tomorrow?
    I'm not. We decided to take our younger son to Gore tomorrow to ski some long woods runs. And after thinking about my advice... because, ya know, it's your son and not some 38 year old bro, even though I think the avy danger is super low in there after today....

I'm happy to leave a probe and shovel on my front steps for you to borrow. If you're coming from the south (exit 30 on 87,) you will drive by my house ( well, it's a half mile off the main road ), just drop it back off on your way out of town. Send me a PM if you are definitely coming up and I can send you my street address.

^^Awesome. You're the mag of the month!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Tour du Nord tomorrow. Hoping for a bit of consolidation for a long approach and lower angle run-outs that, if fast, make for long runs. Anyone tour north of Morrisville in the last day or two? How's the Schnee?
    South of mo'ville but above 302, north ish aspect above 1200 powder, about 2,000 on non shaded aspects no base, anything that typically yields a shade, solid base. Tops of rollovers where rain hit have no base but plenty of snow if you don't turn. Rock sharks and logs are without a base (i.e. Darker objects), good but keep in mind you will hit ground, stumps, logs, rocks every so often. In the interest of your skis I wouldn't ski a peak currently that is known for have shale ledges, but ymmv.

Awesome Sunday Funday turns today for sure

Had a Raven holding court , cr-r-uck cr-r-uck cr-r-uck

Gamehenge

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

What's the consistency of the snow in VT?

First day back on the EC after a week in mormon country, RT was mankfest extraordinaire. Quite the opposite from the spring corn I found earlier in the week.

Vtfh...I'll have what you're having if it's already Sunday in VT 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Careful with those "Take back Vermont" boys or you'll be a trophy on the wall of their den.
    Ha. The Dude gave us the hairy eyeball as we shuffled back to the lift...then as we rode the lift up outta sight. It was about 2 pm so we figured he was already too in-the-bag to cross the street, but didn't poach the field again as there may have been some rounds fired overhead. Still worth it, the pasture was velvet.

First Pow day line up for this guy. Fun day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5090116.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	202793  

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Vtfh...I'll have what you're having if it's already Sunday in VT ��
    It was a happy Sun day I guess. As is today

East or Bust dense powder on north aspects and skiable crust to slay where the sun cooked it.

Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 03-19-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Is anyone going to be at Tremblant next weekend? Heading there on Thursday...

Spicy tomato. A delicacy.

Made my way down to the glen, well tracked but plenty of soft stuff still to be found in the woods. I hadn't skied all of the cuts from the work days I made it out to this fall so I bounced around a bit to check them out, some of the more out-of-sight lines skied pretty fresh.

East Coast Roll Call 10 [ten] SKI or SKI NOT, There Is No Try

Had an awesome Sunday with my 11 year old at Gore today

I forget how fun that place is. Such a huge variety of terrain, nice open glades everywhere, and it's nice to switch it up from always going to WF.

Had a Goniff sighting on my front steps at 8:00 this morning! Was heading out in my pj's to say hi, but I could tell he was on a mission to get to WF. It's sad when the guy that lives 2 hours away beats you to the mountain! Looks like it was perfect timing for him and his son to hit the slides. Awesome.

These bluebird days are really taking a toll on the snowpack, even though it hasn't been too warm. Get out and get it while it's still good!!

Edit to add-
    Goniff is the man! Just dropped off the probe and shovel. Thank you sir for the SOS.
    Last edited by t-the-east; 03-19-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Smuggs was good on Saturday, ecept for every lift ride when I had to hear that Wednesday and Thursday were the best days that have ever existed . Still found some fresh snow way out, but wasn't inclined to hike by myself. Lines were not bad. I think everyone was tired out from earlier in the week.

Decided to stick with some edge grinding on the variable rocks and ice.

Name:	Smuggs10.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	202832  

^Next time you should get some demo skis for liftline laps

Served as a guide for an old friend and his new buddy that was trying out his A/T lash up for the first time in the BC on our town's namesake peak. The sky was cerulean and snow was nice and creamy.

Great days in NE, nice to see folks getting after it!

Skied Cannon with grand kids on Staurday. The heat had me worried. The Franconia power outage made for some anxious moments. but they got the backup genny going and folks were able to ski/ride back down.

Patience and a little luck coincide, a day trip into The Zone works out very nicely.

8:30AM moving away from the car towards 3600 feet. Multi-use trench, snow shoers, boot packers and skiers packed down the surface so progress was somewhat speedy all the way to 1950'. Once on the historic ski trail, skinning was a bit more effort. Shortly I diverged to the uptrack and it became a bunch of work.

1500 feet later I topped out, after passing markers that I reach up for in summer...today they were not even waist high as I skinned by.

I didn't hang around very long and really noticed how quickly the landmarks went by.

Some turns in dreamy powder

The entire GF line was a clean canvas...first tracks since the storm. Gets steep at the horizon line and stays rowdy for a good bit after. Sadly I botched the LZ on the Gnarl A Drop..spraining my dignity a bit.

Upon reaching the historic trail again I saw that the three skiers and one snowshoer had stayed on the old trail...where they came from is open to guesses. Looks like they had it in fine conditions..

Down low a slight sun crust formed on any southern facing snow. Not a problem when I went through, but I'll bet it gets problematic at all south facing elevations in the area after this afternoon's heat and sun.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Thanks again to t-the-east for the slides alert and shovel and probe loan. We got 4 laps in the slides in the morning and afternoon. Deep, heavy, clumpy snow was the main challenge. Very little ice to contend with. Nice corn on the steeps in the afternoon. Whiteface is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    It was a happy Sun day I guess. As is today
    Yea, yes it was.

Little frozen suncup to find the goods today. I dig riding conditions like this.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Smuggs was good on Saturday, ecept for every lift ride when I had to hear that Wednesday and Thursday were the best days that have ever existed I think everyone was tired out from earlier in the week.

Exhausting, I tell ya. Too much of a good thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Besler20170315001 (8).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	202844

I still have 1 lift voucher left if anyone needs one.
    Silent....but shredly.

Last Day of Winter Tour du Nord. It was another excellent day to be out of doors. Got skiing at the crack of 10 after a long drive, the approach seemed shorter than usual. We got to the zone that still remains unknown, or too far out for folks to get to.

The snow was velvety pow, probed 20-30+" on top of the base which was not detected under ski even on the steepest, deepest carves. All about aspect, we scurried into our North-facing slope. Anything even remotely west facing had a light crust from Saturday.

Mouse-holing out of the spruces at about 3100 ft, amazing birch gardens beckon, then give way to maple and beech with an understory so clean you'd think you were at a resort.

The pow was thick so the run-outs were not as long as you can sometimes get here, so we were skiing down to about 23, 2400 ft. Good to the last drop.

Skinning out, we had to deal with a due-west facing slope that had turned to funk. Glop glued to the top sheet, every slogging step felt like a 12 pound weight pulling us back. My ski buddy developed clump-foot and dealt with a giant block of snow stuck on one skin for half the last climb out of the basin, which thankfully is a short one. All in all the snow was great, if not a touch slow. Stella, and the high pressure that has ruled our world for the days following has been nothing short of epic.

Hit Lost Nation at 8. Roll-Aways, Mosaics, Galaxies went down easy with their delicious food and chill atmosphere. Best spot in Vt for apres, consistently some of the best beer in the state coming out of there. Stella saved winter, IMO. Ready for spring now....

Name:	P5100129.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	202845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5100118.jpg 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	202846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5100131.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	202847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5100125.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	202848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5100123.jpg 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	202849  

Name:	P5100120.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	202850  
    Last edited by DaveVt; 03-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Photos of pow on slides, pow in the trees, pow on Piste....what a week! Suncups, corn and ice bulges for airing...NE at its best.

ULLR and Skadi, you have my gratitude.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Happy Spring!

Although Tuesday-Thursday were the best[sorry powbmps] the weekend sunfest couldn't have been scripted better. I think Rob sums it up best.
    Bush lots at south filled to capacity on Sat. and latecomers were directed to park at snorth. Surface and I were talking this am and figure it was at least a $2,000,000 hit for the economy with a Christmas week crowd all weekend.

Name:	FILE0128-1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	202856

Gal pal, who was skiing $towe Friday and Saturday went to the waterfront to sit in the sun with some beer and a donut before going to Fiddlehead for Folinos and beer. Felt so good to relax for a bit.

Going out for some soft snow skiing in a few. Get after it!

Name:	20170319_151647.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	202857

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Great weekend. No downhill skiing but got out on the xc skis with the little one in the chariot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.