Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Covid Strength Challenge -- Help

Lockdown, smack talk, and too much testosterone has resulted in our household's strength challenge. On April 30th, my sons (17 and 20) and I will be challenging each other on the most number of reps/longest time in some weight events and one biking test. Question is, WTF is the best way to train for maximum strength gains in one month? My weight lifting is primarily "maintenance" where I am preserving what I got and trying to improve. Need to quickly transition to maximum one-month gain.

I have no idea how to maximize strength in one month. Should I workout everyday in the same events? Twice a day? Every other day? What about reps - go low and heavy? What do they do in the prison yard?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6dc7.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	324270

Left side is my fate, right side is the wife's challenge

12 oz. curls..... a dozen reps should do it.

Furious masturbation

Drugs are the solution.
    Acid could very well work wonders.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Will you be piss tested before the competition?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Get your baseline. Do all those things and see where you are at. Then do sets at 70%-80% of those numbers on a regular basis. Could be daily, unless your numbers begin to falter. And furious masturbation.

Check out Stronglifts 5x5 app, will cover your bench and squat criteria and the OHP will probably help w pushups. Or just do pushups.

That program would be ideal for you to come out on top. After a month you will want to drop it probably.

Furious masturbation has led to one arm being quite larger than the other, plus a hairy palm, but not sure that's going to help

Fun!

+1 baseline and report.

what kind of equipment do you have access to? I assume strict pull ups (no kip, palm out?)

I'm not a dentist, but .. what works for me are variations of high weight lower rep, low weight higher rep variations .. and of course mixing in days midrange = max reps (or fastest time) on your target weights.

ie: If you can't do more than say 10 pull ups, doing say 3-4 sets of 5 weighted pull ups one day, and 25 band assisted pull ups or light lat pulldowns the next cycle might help increase that number.

I usually only have time to get swole once a day (+ diminishing returns at some point) .. and I tend to cycle muscle groups every 2/3 days - breakdown/recovery is key. Recovery protein, lots of water, and remember you can't out-train a bad diet. Taper into the event!

ps your wife is going to do 50 12oz curls? Dude.
    Does she have a sister?

edit to add: are all these going to happen back to back on the 30th? like right away? Don't forget game day diet and cardio

For pullups, if you don't have a bar, get some rope or truck tie downs and wrap them around something sturdy (garage rafters), slip a 6" length of 3/4" or 1" pvc pipe over it and you can do ring rows.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

on-line yoga. I need something to alleviate the nagging low back pain which has persisted for over a year now.

40lb curls??? You must be the man!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I am trying to do this routine along with knee rehab twice a day.

https://www.uphillathlete.com/wp-con...Routine-V2.pdf

Don’t have a pull up bar yet though, those terrify me.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Go to the local zoo, get a lion or a tiger and put him in the car with you. That should do the trick.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

OP - how big a tragedy would it be if your sons somehow came up lame and couldn't compete?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    OP - how big a tragedy would it be if your sons somehow came up lame and couldn't compete?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4ee4e4c2cb9bb01008a0a8184665f47a.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	324313

I can do 10+ pull-ups at 205lbs

Come at me
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    I can do 10+ pull-ups at 205lbs

Come at me
    This checks outName:  IMG_0299.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  16.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Fun!

+1 baseline and report.

what kind of equipment do you have access to? I assume strict pull ups (no kip, palm out?)

Iedit to add: are all these going to happen back to back on the 30th? like right away? Don't forget game day diet and cardio
    We have a bench, dumbbells, and a lat machine/row. Strict pull-ups, I was doing them at the gym prior to covid and was good for about 10-12. Using the lat machine right now. We are going to do one event after another, but for some there is only one set of weights so a little rest in between when the other two are doing the event. Will probably have to go to a school/playground for the pull ups.

I'm thinking go hard until about two days before the event (insert joke here), maybe a rest day here or there, but definitely one or two days of rest immediately before the event so I have maximum recovery. A little over 3 weeks until gametime.

The cardio point is interesting as when trying to crank out pushups or reps in another event, if you go too slow it drags you down but if you crank it out you get winded, so I'm trying to figure out the best pace for some of the events.

ps Can someone explain how I can respond to different posters' quotes in one post. Not sure how I do that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

40lb curls??? You must be the man!
    That was my son's idea. I'm using the 35 for another week or so, and then will use the 40 or use them for a set or two until the competition. My weightlifting is mainly maintenance not bulking up the biceps - so this will be new to me

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Do you have an account on the dark web that only accepts bitcoin?

A handful of anti malarials before working out.

I'm hearing from lots places these really help. I might take them myself. I might not but I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am trying to do this routine along with knee rehab twice a day.

https://www.uphillathlete.com/wp-con...Routine-V2.pdf

Don’t have a pull up bar yet though, those terrify me.
    Damn you're going to have a 12 pack with that routine - or stop drinking the 12 packs and you might get a 6 pack

And thanks DJ Sapp for the pull up bar suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A handful of anti malarials before working out.

I'm hearing from lots places these really help. I might take them myself. I might not but I could.
    I don't think Fauci approves.

you can do sit up, squats, calf raises and push ups and get in great shape if you remain below your daily calorie BMR by 300 to 500.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Just checking in to say that pull ups are hard. God damn it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.