Page 146 of 274 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 6844
    Contemplating a purchase of a ski with a couple mounts. I can make the toes all clear nicely, and reuse two of the heel holes. The other two partially overlap. I would want to do inserts for binding sharing between a couple pairs of skis. Rear heel holes end up 4mm center to center, so they'll overlap. I'll plug the old ones with g-flex and bamboo skewers, but what says the peanut gallery on that overlap? Okay, or a little too sketchy?

If I wasn't reusing the forward heel holes, I'd just move the heel back a little to buy myself more room, but doing that just causes the same issue on the forward holes in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Contemplating a purchase of a ski with a couple mounts. I can make the toes all clear nicely, and reuse two of the heel holes. The other two partially overlap. I would want to do inserts for binding sharing between a couple pairs of skis. Rear heel holes end up 4mm center to center, so they'll overlap. I'll plug the old ones with g-flex and bamboo skewers, but what says the peanut gallery on that overlap? Okay, or a little too sketchy?

If I wasn't reusing the forward heel holes, I'd just move the heel back a little to buy myself more room, but doing that just causes the same issue on the forward holes in this case.
    Depending on how much adjustability your bindings have you could move only the heel back and reuse the toe holes and then you'll just have to slide the heel track far forward. Maybe a good time for a 2x4 test

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Depending on how much adjustability your bindings have you could move only the heel back and reuse the toe holes and then you'll just have to slide the heel track far forward. Maybe a good time for a 2x4 test

I'm not reusing toe holes, but have room for new ones within a couple mm of putting my boots on the line. If I push the heels back far enough to clear everything, I'm riiiight on the brink of having enough heel adjustment, and that feels a little sketchier than I'd like to take on for skis I haven't bought yet.

I'm not reusing toe holes, but have room for new ones within a couple mm of putting my boots on the line. If I push the heels back far enough to clear everything, I'm riiiight on the brink of having enough heel adjustment, and that feels a little sketchier than I'd like to take on for skis I haven't bought yet.
    I recently got some Cochises [so with metal, which makes overlap or close holes less of a problem, YMMV] and there was like 2.5 previous mounts. [Perhaps a tele mount - certainly an odd mount pattern I didn't recognize.]

Since I was putting demo bindings on them, I didn't spend any time considering if there'd be overlap or not. [Lesson to self, think more, earlier.]

The front set of screws on the toe are probably <2mm edge to edge [not center to center] from prior holes.
    The front set of heel screws are also very close - perhaps 1mm or less edge to edge.

I did fill all prior holes with epoxy and bamboo skewers - so that obviously helps.
    I'm not taking 20+' drops to flat landings or anything - but I'm certainly not gentle with them.
    I've skied them at least half a dozen days, very hard.

They sure seem VERY solid.
    Perhaps I'm going to die later - but at this moment, I'd feel way more than comfortable doing it again, if needed. [If the price was good enough, etc.]

So, that's my _real world_ experience with really close holes on something I've skied and also have an idea how hard they have been pushed.

Again, without metal, YMMV.
    I think I've said this before, but I think the general attitude is quite conservative. [For good reason, I suppose. Better safe than sorry...and all that.] But I think there are several examples out there where people have swiss-cheesed skis and been fine. My own experience here also seems to indicate that it's not always a problem.

-Greg

I've gotten really close to bamboo plugged holes before and not died. But I've never tried to go for straight up overlap.

Yeah, that's why I'd say test on a 2x4 and then go from there. If it works, great, if it doesn't then looks like you'll have to mount closer than you'd like or you could put demo binders on there. Like Greg said, I think the overall consensus here is pretty conservative. I've mounted with holes touching and I'm 200 lbs and do 20 foot drops regularly and they held up fine. I only rode them for a season though and of course YMMV

Why not insert or heli coil the overlapping holes to be safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Why not insert or heli coil the overlapping holes to be safe?
    I am using inserts, as mentioned previously. The overlap is still pretty bad. We're also talking about a lightweight touring ski here, so not a super burly core. I'm thinking it makes more sense to pass on these.

I would pass, but I’m probably a bit more cautious than most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using inserts, as mentioned previously. The overlap is still pretty bad. We're also talking about a lightweight touring ski here, so not a super burly core. I'm thinking it makes more sense to pass on these.
    Oh, I didn't realize it was a touring setup. I might pass then because if something goes wrong at a resort it's one thing, if something goes wrong and you're 8 miles from the car, it's a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize it was a touring setup. I might pass then because if something goes wrong at a resort it's one thing, if something goes wrong and you're 8 miles from the car, it's a different thing.

Very much agreed. I'd be more inclined to go for it on an inbounds rig.

So, don't the front heel holes take most of the stress (and your overlap is with the rear set)?

What's the pullout strength increase from using inserts? Double?

How many people get by with a spinner or two (unbeknownst to them) that a shop rat fixed with Titebond?

I'm not gonna tell you what to do, 'coz I'm not looking over your shoulder while you plug them, but I think you can read between the lines as to what I'd do ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-19-2020 at 03:32 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'd do it and have done similar
    But I don't go more than 100 ft outta the car
    Without shit in my pack to attach a broken binder or my boot to a ski and git down
    After watching crackhead one ski down from timp
    And yeah he mounted his own skis
    But I think he let me do em after that one
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yup - I should have made that more clear about being prepared. Always lots of Voile straps and other stuff in the pack for field repairs

If at all possible (but not this year obviously), I'm a fan of testing a new mount by pounding inbounds for a day

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-19-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

2 sided carpet tape has also worked

Best practice
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation
    Jump to search

A best practice is a method or technique that has been generally accepted as superior to any alternatives because it produces results that are superior to those achieved by other means or because it has become a standard way of doing things, e.g., a standard way of complying with legal or ethical requirements.

Best practices are used to maintain quality as an alternative to mandatory legislated standards and can be based on self-assessment or benchmarking.[1] Best practice is a feature of accredited management standards such as ISO 9000 and ISO 14001.[2]

Some consulting firms specialize in the area of best practice and offer ready-made templates to standardize business process documentation. Sometimes a best practice is not applicable or is inappropriate for a particular organization's needs. A key strategic talent required when applying best practice to organizations is the ability to balance the unique qualities of an organization with the practices that it has in common with others.

Good operating practice is a strategic management term. More specific uses of the term include good agricultural practices, good manufacturing practice, good laboratory practice, good clinical practice and good distribution practice.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If we were talking about skis I already had sitting around my calculus would be different. But I'm disinclined to buy a pair for the purpose. We're not talking about a unicorn of a ski here, I'll find a set that work more cleanly.

Mounted these fu$%king Stormriders.
    The rearmost heel holes landed pretty dang close to a cluster of old holes.
    I could have easily moved the mount forward a bit to avoid this; some things get overlooked with an infant climbing on your workbench.
    #amigonnadie?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stockli1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	321398

Name:	stockli2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	321397

Name:	stockli3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	321396
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Beauties^

Those things are sweet!!
    Heel holes should be fine......
    Uno mas

...The other two partially overlap. I would want to do inserts for binding sharing between a couple pairs of skis. Rear heel holes end up 4mm center to center, so they'll overlap...
    Have they been drilled for inserts? If not, perhaps mount rescue inserts on those wholes?
    A normal screw is ~5.5mm wide (2.75mm radius), so you need mount radius of 2.75+4mm = 6.75mm to completely overlap the old holes. Normal insert is 8mm width (4mm radius). Rescue inserts is 11mm width (5.5mm radius) and has a lot more circumference (1.73 cm for normal screw/2.51cm normal insert/3.56 cm for rescue insert). On a sidenote, an insert should be 45% stronger than a normal screw. A rescue insert should be 106% stronger than a normal screw and 42% stronger than a normal insert. The tiny halfmoon left, if any, will be negligible.
    Math and day 7 of social distancing, suggest you should mount rescues and go skiing.

Well, mounted some skis I got for my pops. hopefully we come out the other side of this and they get some good use next season. He’s coming off some volkl p90s from the mid 90s and is gonna be stoked

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	321565

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Well, mounted some skis I got for my pops. hopefully we come out the other side of this and they get some good use next season. He’s coming off some volkl p90s from the mid 90s and is gonna be stoked

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	321565
    Nice! Are those Invictus 95’s? I’ve been thinking about those for spring touring. How do they hand flex?

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Nice! Are those Invictus 95’s? I’ve been thinking about those for spring touring. How do they hand flex?
    Yep, I'd say Armada has the stated flex down pretty good at 6 7 6.5. I'd tour on em

with no shops open locally I’ve suddenly got a few mount jobs to do

mounted some Axl on K2 Wayback 96 last week and going to do a Moment (I forget which one) with Axl next week for the same guy

today I mounted these for hopelesslyadolescent

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	361.8 KB 
ID:	322002
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My own fucking skis. Never liked mounting pivots.

Sgn Urrakkar. Bent chetler rocker shot in for reference. At -5.5 of center/+ 1.5 of the line. 140-124-136.

Name:	IMG_6278.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	322021

Name:	IMG_6279.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	322022

Name:	IMG_6281.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	322023

Name:	IMG_6280.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	322024
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?