Page 85 of 98 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2434
    Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    SUP or float the river thru town, even in the evening when the bikini hatch is over.
    I thought that sounded like a cool (literally and figuratively) thing to do.

I'm heading down for an open water swim in Elk Lake, so I'll get my mountain lake fix in.

Cool video posted on the BBC site.https://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_a...mber-in-oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    SUP or float the river thru town, even in the evening when the bikini hatch is over.
    Any advice on the best place to park to float the river? Sounds like Riverbend Park is the normal starting spot?

The walk looked too long so we opted for a chairlift occupation instead. Parks are in on Palmer. The ski-out, OTOH... now it's almost worth downloadingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180721_105729.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	242104

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    lord, please let the glacier last thru my childrens lifetime
    i'm right there with you but i hope they have long lives and i'm not so sure about the glacier

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    lord, please let the glacier last thru my childrens lifetime
    Interestingly all the glaciers on hood are relatively quite young. The eruption in 1907 (I think it was) melted everything on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Interestingly all the glaciers on hood are relatively quite young. The eruption in 1907 (I think it was) melted everything on the mountain.
    I'm not sure (doubt) this date is right. I'm digging they my old textbooks to try to find the eruption I'm thinking of.

2017/2018 ofishul orygun thread

I'm not sure (doubt) this date is right. I'm digging they my old textbooks to try to find the eruption I'm thinking of.
    You're off by a bit. The last eruption of any consequence was a year or two before the Lewis and Clark expedition came through. I'm also not at all sure that there is any evidence that eruption melted all of Hoods glaciers...

1790s is when they estimate there was a big event on the S Side. Supposedly that is where all the sand came from that is still all over the drainage on that side. I have wondered about how much that melted out up top. I bet a lot of the S. Side slide or melted back then but there isn't good records that I know of.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    You're off by a bit. The last eruption of any consequence was a year or two before the Lewis and Clark expedition came through. I'm also not at all sure that there is any evidence that eruption melted all of Hoods glaciers...

The big south side event was from 1500 years ago

Mount Hood—History and Hazards of Oregon's Most Recently Active Volcano
    https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2000/fs060-00/

1500 years ago is way bigger than the one I'm talking about. People think tons of sand came from a much smaller event(s) that was about 225 years ago. I guess that was small in the whole scheme of volcanic events but still a whole ton of sand and it changed the whole landscape. Lewis and Clark noticed the sand and talked about the Sandy drainage as a "quicksand" river.
    This event you are talking about was 1500 years ago

"On the south side of the volcano, the scar from a 1,500-year-old debris avalanche is still visible, forming the amphitheater around Crater Rock. A lahar formed by this event traveled the length of the Sandy River valley, depositing boulders as large as 8 feet in diameter, 30 feet above present river level where the towns of Wemme and Wildwood now stand. The lahar spread out over the delta at the mouth of the Sandy River and pushed the Columbia River to the north. This event, although large by Mount Hood's standards, was only about one-tenth the size of the 100,000-year-old event."

Combined with a 1980 event

"Lahars are often associated with eruptive activity, but they can also be generated by rapid erosion of loose rock during heavy rains or by sudden outbursts of glacial water. On Christmas Day 1980, an intense rainstorm rapidly melted snow and triggered a small landslide in fragmental debris in upper Polallie Creek. The resulting lahar moved downvalley at 25 to 35 miles per hour. At the mouth of Polallie Creek, the lahar spread out, killing a camper and temporarily damming the East Fork Hood River. Flooding after failure of this temporary dam destroyed 5 miles of highway, three bridges, and a state park—at a cost of at least $13 million. Small lahars such as this occur every few years at Mount Hood, but few have been as destructive."

^sorry I messed up that cut and while waiting on my wife. I'll do better when I get home...

While on the topic of doom and creation check out the Columbia river basalt flows. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observato...er_basalt.html
    When a fissure opens up and really gets going it can flood the entire PNW with lava.

Haven't had a chance to resume my search in my books but this is pretty damn cool/eye opening/sad

http://mazamas.blogspot.com/2013/03/...-hood.html?m=1

Was 1980 when the White river canyon bridge on 35 got taken out.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

^thats what I started posting but I screwed it all up. Christmas Day 1980

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Was 1980 when the White river canyon bridge on 35 got taken out.
    Last time was 2006. It was back in service fairly quickly though, although it took a while to get it really rebuilt

ETA - here’s a little history of that bridge
    http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/20...ete-six-years/

Well, looks like the wife and I are finally pulling the relocation trigger and moving to Hood River. Closer to her folks, and closer to skiing than our current situation. Win for everybody! Should be moved in before winter, so I’ll be skiing full time with ya mags. See you in the HRM lot. I’ll be the guy drinking beers at the end of the day. And, I’m most definitely in for BBI Alpy now that it’ll be a short drive away... no excuses for missing it now, eh?

lucky man...wish i could be in HR
    welcome to the hood

Welcome to the gorge. HR is definitely a good place to be...if you can afford it!

If you are a beer drinker, pFriem should be one of your first stops...then volcanic bottle shop...then Backwoods...then Everbody's...Walking Man...Then back to pFriem...

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post

If you are a beer drinker, pFriem should be one of your first stops...then volcanic bottle shop...then Backwoods...then Everbody's...Walking Man...Then back to pFriem...
    Oh yeah, Pfriem and volcanic are two of my favorite spots in town.

Welcome to Oregon! Going coast to coast? Clicked on your thingy and it says VA.

Thinking I might hike Timberline tomorrow night since it is feeling relatively cold right now. I wouldn't mind company if you'll be here by then. Get the impression you aren't moving today though.

Also good chance I'll go ride the lift next weekend. Ticket prices dropped to $49 for the rest of the month. Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Well, looks like the wife and I are finally pulling the relocation trigger and moving to Hood River. Closer to her folks, and closer to skiing than our current situation. Win for everybody! Should be moved in before winter, so I’ll be skiing full time with ya mags. See you in the HRM lot. I’ll be the guy drinking beers at the end of the day. And, I’m most definitely in for BBI Alpy now that it’ll be a short drive away... no excuses for missing it now, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Welcome to Oregon! Going coast to coast? Clicked on your thingy and it says VA.

Thinking I might hike Timberline tomorrow night since it is feeling relatively cold right now. I wouldn't mind company if you'll be here by then. Get the impression you aren't moving today though.
    Yes, coast to coast move from VA. Thanks for the invite but it’s gonna be a couple months before I’m in OR. Will join you for similar fun once I’m there!