Page 911 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 ... LastLast
Results 22,751 to 22,775 of 27076
    Well I still plan on building a house with a “flat” roof in VT. As foggy says, the devil is in the details on how it’s designed and built. For me it’s an obsession left over from how we were taught in architecture school. The first year curriculum started with using 3 non-parallel, perpendicular, planes to define space and progressed through placing these planes in a cube. Got ideas for 24’, 28’, and 32’ cubes depending on site and cash. Been dumping money into a Roth so I can use that tax free. Of course I’ll be in my 60’s by the time I build it so if it leaks after 25 years I don’t give a shit.

Lots of flat rubber roofs work in cities and towns. Installation and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Well I still plan on building a house with a “flat” roof in VT.
    Why though? That's not a typical VT roof line in the NE resi world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Lots of flat rubber roofs work in cities and towns. Installation and maintenance.
    Well, yeah. Most commercial roofs are flat and they have drains. They leak too. Transitions from slope to flat need to be done properly or that's an instant leak. My office has everything. Metal, shingles, and flat. And actually, they've all leaked!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Why though? That's not a typical VT roof line in the NE resi world.
    As I mentioned it’s really an exercise in design to use a cube as the basic form of the house. It’s an incredibly efficient form that will maximize space with fewer materials. On the practical side the “roof” will include a greenhouse/observatory and the garden. Keeps the deer and critters out. And while it will look flat, there will be proper slope for drainage.

I guess the “not typical” is what intrigues me. I know the likely hood of finding a willing client to pay to bring my ideas to fruition is doubtful so I’ll do it for myself. It’ll be a 2nd house for the missus and I. No kids, no need to leave money to anyone. Consider it a piece of art I leave behind. Might be good art or it might suck. Pretty sure with the materials available these days that I can make it work and last a long time after I cease to exist.

does that mean all LVP interior flooring?

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Mortgage rates gonna be sharply higher. 10y note is cranking higher tonight. Likely fresh high monthly close.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Its amazing how many property owners want to half ass things. You start writing, "homeowner designed non-engineered repair" and "no warranty of suitability" into the contract and people start back stepping.
    Its less amazing how many GCs half ass things? I had a contractor fundamentally alter the design of a large patio cover i had sketched out for them without telling me. I caught it after they had poured foundations for the different design and had them rip everything out and start over. Their reason was that they didnt think the design would work. I am a professional engineer, and it was an unpermitted structure so no one was checking anyways. Like most things, you usually get what you pay for, and even then there are plenty of shady characters willing to cut corners that dont show up till a year or two down the road.

Well I still plan on building a house with a “flat” roof in VT. As foggy says, the devil is in the details on how it’s designed and built. For me it’s an obsession left over from how we were taught in architecture school. The first year curriculum started with using 3 non-parallel, perpendicular, planes to define space and progressed through placing these planes in a cube. Got ideas for 24’, 28’, and 32’ cubes depending on site and cash. Been dumping money into a Roth so I can use that tax free. Of course I’ll be in my 60’s by the time I build it so if it leaks after 25 years I don’t give a shit.
    All of Frank Lloyd Wrights roof’s leak, sometimes he even designed interior gutters to allow for it! So you’re in good company

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I don't think real estate is going to be crashing for the world's billionaires any time soon. I'm sure someone will fork over the $ for this piece of property.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the billionaires of the world are setting Jackson, WY as the go to place for a world wide emergency getaway for a major global event (extreme pandemic, alien invasion, nuclear explosion, etc.).

257 acres in the hole? Fuck. That’s crazy.

And maybe underpriced

IMHO, that road is way too busy for that to be a $40mm property. Now that it is paved Google maps will start to route significant traffic through there.

Man I got talked into building a house with a big flat (but tilted) section of roof. Despite the overall slope and careful construction it was 20 years of problems. I'm pretty happy it's someone else's problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    I don't think real estate is going to be crashing for the world's billionaires any time soon. I'm sure someone will fork over the $ for this piece of property.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the billionaires of the world are setting Jackson, WY as the go to place for a world wide emergency getaway for a major global event (extreme pandemic, alien invasion, nuclear explosion, etc.).
    Can someone can tear down and start over on it? I went there once for work and it was very nice but no mansion IIRC. For some reason I can see a billionaire wanting more. Some real nice stables though if you are a horsie person. Willy Nelson played there in 2005 at night for some fundraiser and I was lucky enough to work it that night and check it out. Amazing property.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    IMHO, that road is way too busy for that to be a $40mm property. Now that it is paved Google maps will start to route significant traffic through there.
    I cut through there to avoid town when I head to the park. I can’t remember if I learned that way from google or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    It's being sold for development, it all depends on how many lots they can get out of it and what they can sell them for.

A whole heap of it is conservation land, I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post

New Zealand is the hip place for that.

I'm gonna guess a whole heap is wetlands as well.

That’s for the tax breaks…

Oh you don't need wetlands to justify a conservation easement. Just enough money to buy the place and then make it legal to keep anyone from encroaching on your fortress of solitude. Even better, you get to make the rest of the town subsidize it!
    Live Free or Die

Oh yeah, that's true, but I was looking at it the other way. Setbacks and buffers for wetland critical areas can eat away at how much McMansion one can build. And it's federal, so it doesn't matter if the local guys are in your pocket.

A faint glimmer of hope that we won't destroy literally everywhere. (yeah, yeah, I know. the assholes always win)

Just keep a snowblower on the roof. Problem solved. Have seen it done in NH.

As I mentioned it’s really an exercise in design to use a cube as the basic form of the house. It’s an incredibly efficient form that will maximize space with fewer materials. On the practical side the “roof” will include a greenhouse/observatory and the garden. Keeps the deer and critters out. And while it will look flat, there will be proper slope for drainage.

I guess the “not typical” is what intrigues me. I know the likely hood of finding a willing client to pay to bring my ideas to fruition is doubtful so I’ll do it for myself. It’ll be a 2nd house for the missus and I. No kids, no need to leave money to anyone. Consider it a piece of art I leave behind. Might be good art or it might suck. Pretty sure with the materials available these days that I can make it work and last a long time after I cease to exist.
    That's cool. Good luck with that and post pics when you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Oh yeah, that's true, but I was looking at it the other way. Setbacks and buffers for wetland critical areas can eat away at how much McMansion one can build. And it's federal, so it doesn't matter if the local guys are in your pocket.

A faint glimmer of hope that we won't destroy literally everywhere. (yeah, yeah, I know. the assholes always win)
    This 250 acres has plenty of space for their regular mansion, that is abutted by the busiest highway in Wyoming.....

I didn't read the ad, but I bet dollars to donuts they mention a 'world class trout stream' in it.
    Live Free or Die