Page 366 of 402 FirstFirst ... 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 ... LastLast
Results 9,126 to 9,150 of 10029
    Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Mine are 4* flat cuz I’m short, but most people play wedges that are to upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the club fitter match the lie to a golfer's current usually OTT swing or is using the feedback provided by a flatter lie to change the swing something the golfer is willing to tolerate for the sake of improvement?

Many golfers put little or no real, effective effort into changing their swings or improving their game in any substantial way so the clubfitter is going set the clubs up upright so they aren't any worse w new clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Does the club fitter match the lie to a golfer's current usually OTT swing or is using the feedback provided by a flatter lie to change the swing something the golfer is willing to tolerate for the sake of improvement?

Many golfers put little or no real, effective effort into changing their swings or improving their game in any substantial way so the clubfitter is going set the clubs up upright so they aren't any worse w new clubs.
    When I was fitted I made shots with with a piece of plastic that marked the strike. The guy that fit me wanted to bend the hosel before he took any length off. Now I cut and regrip my own clubs and have lived with standard lie with my newest clubs. Plus a more upright swing has my accuracy

My saga for this season is trying to shake off the rust of 5 years of sporadic play and no practice. Having golf and tennis elbow issues is limiting the time I can spend working at it, as well. I'm involved in a new group also complicates playing getting to know your partners at the same time you're trying to resurrect a game. This group doesn't gamble which is a huge plus for me since it usually becomes a distraction.

With my scoring clubs (50-54-58) I take a lot of less than full swings so I’m not getting the gear effect of flattening lie at impact. Therefore, a flatter lie promotes a straighter shot vs a pull from a more upright lie angle.

I just went to a professional club fitter and said flatten my wedges with no specific instructions. He knew what to do and didn’t ask for specifics. I’m assuming 2 degrees flat or somewhat progressive. Whatever it is I like it.

When my Ping Anser 3 starts misbehaving I put another layer of athletic tape on the grip and it seems to make me make more putts. Carded another sub 40 last night with a 4 GIR 16 putt 37. Shooting my age is getting to be a possibility.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

Yeah, that's what happened when I went to Joe Kwok, and he bent mine 3* up based on my swing. (I'm 6'1' with longer legs compared to arm hang.) He told me that everything would be 8 yards left until I adjusted, and he was dead on. I later adjusted, then had my wedges bent to match.

I end up taking full swings with my wedges, especially on par 5s because I try to leave my layups to full shot distance (95 or 105)
    Last edited by 54-46; 07-10-2021 at 02:28 PM.

I had clubs from Joe Kwok. Probably Mizuno players cavity backs which I had no business buying, but what a sweet feeling every 20th shot!!

I get the same quality build(blueprinted) out of Hot Stixx. Outdoor fitting w trackman.

I had clubs from Joe Kwok. Probably Mizuno players cavity backs which I had no business buying, but what a sweet feeling every 20th shot!!

I get the same quality build(blueprinted) out of Hot Stixx. Outdoor fitting w trackman.
    Yeah, I had a set of MP60s with DG S300 that Kwok bent for me. He had me try out some other stuff, including more game improvement-y types and he said the small cavity/thin sole type worked well. Weirdly, the GI clubs were not really a match for my swing.

Now I have MP20 blades 8-PW and MP20 MMC 5-7 (Modus3 105S). I don’t think I play better than with the MP60s based on heads, but I have lighter shafts befitting my older, slower swing.

I’d bet I’d do better with MMC all the way through, but the blades are fun. Not playing for money, so…
    Last edited by 54-46; 07-12-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Yeah, I had a set of MP60s with DG S300 that Kwok bent for me. He had me try out some other stuff, including more game improvement-y types and he said the small cavity/thin sole type worked well. Weirdly, the GI clubs were really match for my swing.

Now I have MP20 blades 8-PW and MP20 MMC 5-7 (Modus3 105S). I don’t think I play better than with the MP60s based on heads, but I have lighter shafts befitting my older, slower swing.

I’d bet I’d do better with MMC all the way through, but the blades are fun. Not playing for money, so…
    Joe made me a set of MP-57's. I now take pleasure or pain in where the ball ends up rather than the feel of the strike. I do envy those ball strikers that can play blades. I do miss a players cavity back(or blades) on long, greenside bunker shots. They are much easier to judge if you can open up a short iron instead of playing a chunky GI iron w a square face.

Just returned from 8 days at the Wilderness Club in MT where I played 9 rounds, not including some emergency sunset 6-holers and numerous sunset chipping contests on 18, right outside the house. Holy shit that is a great course with massive elevation changes and super unique holes. Highly, highly recommended.

It was also part of a 36-man, 4-round net stroke play tournament that my brother runs. Lots of guys at scratch while I was playing a 19 course handicap, so there were two different sports going on, for sure.

On the hole below (16, green well out of frame to the left), I generally had to play right of the tree and this guy went directly over it with a draw, hitting it probably 310. I have a lot to learn. I did win a shitpile of $$$ on net skins, however.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210709_123303203_HDR_3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	379266

Ultimately there was a 3-hole aggregate playoff between two former major league baseball players and the entire field followed them around in the carts. Excellent times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210710_172637643_HDR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	379265  

That’s a lot of 1% at the same course!!!
    (scratch golfers that is)

You're right, I went back and looked and there were only two true scratch guys but LOTS under 2. They also set the course handicap off the average of current and low index, so that probably pushed it down a bit. But to put it in perspective, on the last round, we were grouped by rank. I was in the middle of the pack and two of the people I played with went 72 and 73 gross, and none of us were anywhere near the money (top 8).

^^^
    kool to see this kind of summer r&r shared

Having a posse like that while executing that 3 footer for...
    you try to forget the misses and member the makes

nice to have in the bag when you catch the windy part of the day:
    https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/14...204276738?s=19

like a knockdown without the trap
    ​I am not in your hurry

Left home 5am, departed from JFK 7:10am, connect flight in Seattle at 11:40am (3 hours time zone difference), arrived in Eugene 1pm, drove down and arrived in Bandon Dunes 5pm.
    Door to door 15 hours later, I found a golf heaven without dying.
    More pics to follow.

It is so good there. Enjoy. Looking forward to the tr's and pics!

Probably Mizuno players cavity backs which I had no business buying, but what a sweet feeling every 20th shot!!
    I went and got fitted for new irons yesterday after playing ~50 rounds this year with some ebay TaylorMades my bro picked out. The shafts were WAY too stiff. I told the guy I wanted something "middle of the road" that I would have room to "grow into." (I am currently a 14 index, but the guys in the tournament last weekend were ragging on me endlessly about being the best 14 they'd seen--maybe they were just trying to get in my head though.)

I ended up trying like 8-10 different clubs and he immediately steered me away from the more game improvement end of the spectrum. I ended up hitting Mizuno JPX 921 Tours the best--both straightest and longest. They had some in stock so that also helped. I then started researching at work and realized they are basically top of the line player blades?! I was sort of pissed because I never would have bought them if I had done the research first. But then I got out last night and played 14 before it got dark and hit the BEST iron shots of my life with zero mishits and a couple shots that felt better than any I've ever hit, including hitting a couple greens from 180ish that are always a struggle for me. In fact I would have tied my best front 9 ever if I hadn't sliced a drive into the river (recovered for a 6 on the hardest hole on the course). This game is fucking mental.

The weighting on modern forged irons is different than many years ago. Irons like the JPX look more like GI irons. What shaft did you get? Which of course is more important that the head.

KBS $ Taper 120

You’re stronger than I. How’s your tempo?

I'm just younger.

I am not sure what tempo means exactly but I am pretty fucking happy hitting legit 85s on hard courses when I just got clubs in March and hadn't played in 25 years, and I think there is a reasonable chance I break 80 before the snow flies.

Root is a strong player. We had a round together in May. He would have shot better if I hadn't misguided him on playing a few shots.

Root, I was on track for a legitimate under 90 last night. Fell apart on the front 9 (started on 10 last night). Double bogey on 3 par 3s and 2 par 5s. Ended up with a 92.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Let's play again, T. I am still on the waiting list out there and would like to play it again this summer if I can. I'll obviously pay the guest fee.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Let's play again, T. I am still on the waiting list out there and would like to play it again this summer if I can. I'll obviously pay the guest fee.
    Sounds good, I need to get out to Canyon as well. Lots of family/visitors the coming weeks. Maybe August?

Works for me. Let's just hope they still let us outside in August this year.

My course has what look like fence posts at the 150 mark. I thought they were stupid and didn't understand. After all, we have GPS carts, GPS scorecard on the phone and the old school markets on the sprinkler heads. I recently found out they have color-coded tops to indicate the days pin placement on the green. It helps greatly, is this common practice elsewhere? I don't remember those from 30yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk