Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I keep wondering where HighAnger is finding all these bike lanes.
    I know that there are none anywhere around my area.

This has really turned into several wasted pages of non-thought.
    Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Even when it is occupied by people walking dogs and herding their children along the way? Sheesh, sounds stupid to me but I'm not as smrt as you.
    Do you not notice the roads are occupied by sixty foot long metal trucks that will grind you into dumbfuck-flavored dog food for the slightest lapse?

Are you so afraid of leashed beagles and joggers that you'd gladly throw yourself in front of a truck? Or do you just altogether not recognize the existence of motor vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I keep wondering where HighAnger is finding all these bike lanes.
    I know that there are none anywhere around my area.

This has really turned into several wasted pages of non-thought.
    Sad.

Poor guy. Sounds like you need a bike advocacy lobby, to get your local taxpayers to build you a bike path you'll refuse to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    despite what mommy told you, politeness of others isn't there to satisfy your selfish personal convenience
    That's correct. It's to satisfy theirs.

Washington:

Calling all Washington cities and counties - apply to be nominated by Cascade for recognition in creating excellent streets that center safety and accessibility.

This year Cascade will nominate up to 10 communities throughout the state to receive funding in response to excellence in creating streets for people

https://cascade.org/blog/2021/07/str...nations-open-0

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Washington:

Calling all Washington cities and counties - apply to be nominated by Cascade for recognition in creating excellent streets that center safety and accessibility.

This year Cascade will nominate up to 10 communities throughout the state to receive funding in response to excellence in creating streets for people

https://cascade.org/blog/2021/07/str...nations-open-0
    Don't they have sidewalks for the people, and streets are for vehicles?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Do you not notice the roads are occupied by sixty foot long metal trucks that will grind you into dumbfuck-flavored dog food for the slightest lapse?

Are you so afraid of leashed beagles and joggers that you'd gladly throw yourself in front of a truck? Or do you just altogether not recognize the existence of motor vehicles?

Those sixty footers can be great for slip stream assist. Of course coming off the back of a truck approaching fifty miles an hour and dealing with the turbulence can be a little disconcerting. A beagle leash across the bow can ruin your day man.

Shut the fuck up JONG

Shut the fuck up JONG
    So sensitive. I actually joined in 2008...JONG!

Bike Anchorage - help advocate for a separate bike path!

Get those bikes off the road!

https://www.bikeanchorage.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Bike Anchorage - help advocate for a separate bike path!

Get those bikes off the road!

https://www.bikeanchorage.org/blog

Anchorage currently has 248 miles of paved bike paths, with another 293 miles set to be built in the next few years.
    Not that you'll ever see them...

https://www.muni.org/Departments/hea...eMap_toWEB.pdf

It's Not a Bike Accident When a Car Hits a Rider

A couple years ago, I went to a couple days of symposiums put on by the lead bicycle infrastructure engineer of a large Dutch city.

He spent the entire time talking about building infrastructure to separate bikes from cars in order to make biking safer. Feeling safe directly impacts how many people bike. People let their kids bike to school. Many more people commute on bikes. Removing bikes from roadways also makes the roads safer and more convenient for motorists. More bikes means less cars which means lower city costs for road maintenance, snow removal, etc.

But the key was to physically separate the bikes from the cars. Not just paint worthless bike lanes on the side of the road.

Of course us idiot Americans he was talking to went back to our planning meetings and immediately brainstormed ideas on how to paint more bike lanes on already-busy arterial streets, rather than figure out how to get the bikes on different paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    A couple years ago, I went to a couple days of symposiums put on by the lead bicycle infrastructure engineer of a large Dutch city.

He spent the entire time talking about building infrastructure to separate bikes from cars in order to make biking safer. Feeling safe directly impacts how many people bike. People let their kids bike to school. Many more people commute on bikes. Removing bikes from roadways also makes the roads safer and more convenient for motorists. More bikes means less cars which means lower city costs for road maintenance, snow removal, etc.

But the key was to physically separate the bikes from the cars. Not just paint worthless bike lanes on the side of the road.

Of course us idiot Americans he was talking to went back to our planning meetings and immediately brainstormed ideas on how to paint more bike lanes on already-busy arterial streets, rather than figure out how to get the bikes on different paths.

You can quit sucking off the racist Dutch any time and explain to us how they get ROW for their magnificent and oh-so-civilized urban bike paths, fucking smart guy.

I've been to Anchorage quite a few times and the bike/pedestrian paths are dope. For whatever reason however there's also lots of busybodies who like to comment about and obstruct other people. I'll go for a quick lunchtime run on the Flattop Mountain Trail, for example, when it's not busy and invariably someone will step in front you and say something like "oh, I didn't know we were running today."

Such a weird vibe. I don't know, I expected Alaskans to be more chill but instead there seems to be a significant number of fascist buttinskys.

You can quit sucking off the racist Dutch any time and explain to us how they get ROW, fucking smart guy.
    Do you need a hug?

Do you need a hug?
    No douchebag, I need RoW to design and build a bike path. The Dutch just take it. We don't do it that way in America.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    I've been to Anchorage quite a few times and the bike/pedestrian paths are dope. For whatever reason however there's also lots of busybodies who like to comment about and obstruct other people. I'll go run the Flattop Mountain Trail, for example, when it's not busy and invariably someone will step in front you and say something like "oh, I didn't know we were running this today."

Such a weird vibe. I don't know, I expected Alaskans to be more chill.

Pretty sure you're full of shit, so it doesn't matter...But there are at least 2 trails going up Flattop, and the one you found on the internet tourist guide before you posted is so crowded it moves like a lift line and running it would be a total asshole move. Like cutting up a lift line, you'd seriously be shoving hikers out of your way to "run" Flattop.

Moreover, only about 2 in 10 Flattop hikers are Alaskans, so the odds are high that it was some jackoff tourist who got lippy with you for being Johnny Gung Ho in your trail runners.

No douchebag, I need RoW to design and build a bike path. The Dutch just take it. We don't do it that way in America.
    Bless your heart, you’re a grumpy one this morning.

Without much effort or funding, we could do simple things like take a road near an arterial, put 4-way stop signs for cars with “bikes yield” underneath them at every cross street, and put speed bumps on every block. Make it crazy inconvenient for cars to drive down the road and super convenient for bikes.

There’s plenty of funding and imminent domain when we decide to expand roadways for more lanes, we just need to do a better job selling the benefits of alternative transportation.

Sacramento is trying to figure it out a little. What it usually means is removing car parking and/or traffic lanes. I don't know how Amsterdam's bike path evolved but the number of people who commute by bike is orders of magnitude greater than those who drive cars and there are very few places to park cars. For an American city the dilemma is that as you remove spaces for cars you don't instantly get an increase in bike commuters--you just get more difficult car commutes. It's hard to see how to get from the current system to the Dutch system. I don't recall seeing anything comparable to the Dutch system in any other European city I've been in. (I've never been to Scandinavia.) One problem with a bike based bike commuter system is that the climate needs to be tolerable year round. Otherwise--where do all those bike commuters go when it snows or it's 110 degrees in the shade? Mass transit depends on a steady year-round ridership. (My son bike commutes year-round in Boston but he's unusual to say the least. And parking at his hospital is $600/month for residents.)

Pretty sure you're full of shit, so it doesn't matter...
    It’s most definitely the other way around. It's a creepy place because there's a bunch of highhangle "redrum" kids all grown up.

But there are at least 2 trails going up Flattop, and the one you found on the internet tourist guide before you posted is so crowded it moves like a lift line and running it would be a total asshole move, like cutting up a lift line.

Moreover, only about 2 in 10 Flattop hikers are Alaskans, so the odds are high that it was some jackoff tourist who got lippy with you for being Johnny Gung Ho in your trail runners.
    I'm aware of the two routes. The second one, which I ran, starts on the opposite side of the hill opposite the main touristy parking lot in the valley on the other side. And as I said before it wasn't busy at the time.

So it was probably someone like you attempting to enforce their own norms in disapproval against someone in "Johnny Gung Ho in your trail runners." Isn’t it interesting how fascists always misappropriate the word freedom?
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 07-31-2021 at 09:41 AM.

The polite thing is to ride on the bike path, instead of the road right next to it.
    Does every road in AK have a parallel bike path? That’s not my experience in the lower 48. What do I do if there’s no bike path and I’m commuting by bicycle?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Does every road in AK have a parallel bike path? That’s not my experience in the lower 48. What do I do if there’s no bike path and I’m commuting by bicycle?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We got enough idiots trying to impose their culture on a place they've never been, so just stay in Wisconsin until you can bring up something worthwhile.

Bless your heart, you’re a grumpy one this morning.

Without much effort or funding, we could do simple things like take a road near an arterial, put 4-way stop signs for cars with “bikes yield” underneath them at every cross street, and put speed bumps on every block. Make it crazy inconvenient for cars to drive down the road and super convenient for bikes.

There’s plenty of funding and imminent domain when we decide to expand roadways for more lanes, we just need to do a better job selling the benefits of alternative transportation.

Gee, maybe the government will eminent domain your parents' house to put up a socialized gay roller disco?
    Maybe your town has enough budget surplus to hire teams of gay roller disco engineers who'll say, "Let's just take Falcon3's parents property to bring gay roller disco to it's rightful preeminence! They're not doing anything cool with it!"'
    Then all the gay roller disco skaters start plugging up the roads instead, because they don't like the fuscia floors in the City gay roller disco...

You can quit sucking off the racist Dutch any time and explain to us how they get ROW for their magnificent and oh-so-civilized urban bike paths, fucking smart guy.
    LOL Falcon and this Dutch MF are both supporting your main argument - that bikes should use separate purpose-built infrastructure away from car traffic - but your blood pressure is so high that you're still only seeing red. Try not to have a stroke over this.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sacramento is trying to figure it out a little. What it usually means is removing car parking and/or traffic lanes. I don't know how Amsterdam's bike path evolved but the number of people who commute by bike is orders of magnitude greater than those who drive cars and there are very few places to park cars. For an American city the dilemma is that as you remove spaces for cars you don't instantly get an increase in bike commuters--you just get more difficult car commutes. It's hard to see how to get from the current system to the Dutch system. I don't recall seeing anything comparable to the Dutch system in any other European city I've been in. (I've never been to Scandinavia.) One problem with a bike based bike commuter system is that the climate needs to be tolerable year round. Otherwise--where do all those bike commuters go when it snows or it's 110 degrees in the shade? Mass transit depends on a steady year-round ridership. (My son bike commutes year-round in Boston but he's unusual to say the least. And parking at his hospital is $600/month for residents.)
    Yes, the notion that everyone in NE American cities is somehow going to start commuting by bicycle is a little ridiculous, but somehow there is a very committed lobby that doesn't see it that way. NYC built a very nice bike path all the way down the Hudson river (end to end of Manhattan, and I believe now you can actually go all the way around). The path is right next to the West Side Highway/West Street, one of the two N-S highways in Manhattan. Virtually any weekday in the middle of the day you could lie in the middle of the bike path for minutes at a time and not be disturbed, as thousands of cars and trucks go continuously up and down the highway (I think 8-9 am and late afternoon it gets more use). Except for nice weekends when tourists and joggers use the path it seems incredibly underused [edit: nice weekday afternoons it also gets a fair amount of use, but not as a commuter route--it's mostly people who would otherwise be working out in a park or something]. When it rains or snows you might not see a single person on it except pedestrians crossing over it. And I've never understood how bike advocates see bicycle commuting as practical when it's 90+ degrees and 80% humidity (which is possible many days May-Sept). Will there be showers in every office, and people will be cool doing that? It is seriously bad enough getting into an office under those conditions without vigorous exercise to get there (and BTW, what about clothing?). The Euro model for the U.S. isn't something anyone really wants here (even people who like to bicycle generally retreat to mass transit or other transport when the weather is bad).

And I've heard/read many discussions about bikes and bike lanes in NYC and the fact that the 1400 miles of bike lanes in NYC get almost no use, relative to the roads, is almost never brought up (there are bike lanes in the outer boroughs that might as well not exist, but we've spent a lot of money and inconvenienced people creating them--if you build them they don't come, despite what some would have you believe).
    [quote][//quote]