Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Longboard Day Returneth! - LBD Saturday April 10th 2021

Name:  lbd-its-baaaaack.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  36.0 KB

Covid and closures last spring nixed what was a 13yr streak of length obsessed kooks all trying to see who's got the longest.

The Alpental variant of what was once a very strong force in both Tahoe and CO has remained viable and owes a debt of gratitude to the godfather of our shenanigans Greydon Clark. Perhaps the 220cm Blizzard Thermos mounted tele will appear once again?

For the un-initiated, the new to scene, or the Captains of obliviousness, the premise of LBD is simple. Find, borrow, or steal yourself a pair of classic, old school skis. The ROOLz used to state that for men, that was 210+, ladies 200cm+, but given the paucity of 210+ skis still floating around in garages and thrift shops, the executive committee has elected to move the bar and lower that threshold to >200cm nen and >190cm for the ladies. No your 202 Lotus 138s do not qualify.

Make no mistake, the longer the better, and as every year there will be plenty of spares as me and my fellow lot 4 degenerates all own multiple pairs, many with demo binders. So don't let the lack of gear be your cop-out reason for not joining the fray.

Staty tuned as more will come, stoke will build, and Long Board Day will returneth!!!!!!

reserved for food/other logistic coordination

Dayummmm
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

It took me years to find my 210s and by then the KW franchise had fallen apart (I think 666 had kids). And now the bar lowers and my 206s I was skiing in shame are now manly enough?

Well, at least y’all have a good time.

My red sleds will be out solo one day this spring down here in the south.

I had 3 too many kids. GET SOME PNW!!!!

I'm in for long skis and tender brisket

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I had 3 too many kids. GET SOME PNW!!!!
    Your lbd TR pics are all dead unfortunately.
    I'm sure the spawn of 666 can rip a straight ski no matter their age!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    It took me years to find my 210s and by then the KW franchise had fallen apart (I think 666 had kids). And now the bar lowers and my 206s I was skiing in shame are now manly enough?

Well, at least y’all have a good time.

My red sleds will be out solo one day this spring down here in the south.
    Get one other to join you and you've got a party started.

Some previous season LBD stoke

A short picture TR from last years Long Board Day

I'll be there. Might not be skiing but I can still party.

Should I order a keg?

Woot! See you fellas and ladies there.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Looking forward to it!Your lbd TR pics are all dead unfortunately.
    Yeah, back in the day, it was tough to host all the pics, so I hosted them on some of our business servers. Those are now gone but I saved the thousands of photo names to migrate into my current web host. I have to manually fix all the links in each TR its a daunting project slated to commence as free time magically appears.

NEVER FORGET

https://www.powder.com/stories/kirkw...ong-board-day/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POWP-160100-YDS-01-2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	645.8 KB 
ID:	368751

Wish I could make it out there but wrong coast... I’d like to meet and ski with you Alpental kooks someday. Had one of my pairs out on the right coast this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	503798F2-38B6-417F-8EED-8EA95873BEA8.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	604.8 KB 
ID:	368752  

Sick.

Wait, singlecross, are you related to bobbybill?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Sick.

Wait, singlecross, are you related to bobbybill?
    Yes...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ha! Sunday was my first skinny ski day of the year here. Also my first day on home-installed bindings.They don’t quite qualify though- only 195s.

Name:	C20703FE-246A-4BD5-9279-46F533EF4A46.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	626.0 KB 
ID:	368781

Name:	3C81E50D-1E8A-439D-BD62-1DD22F8393BB.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	637.5 KB 
ID:	368783

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Ha! Sunday was my first skinny ski day of the year here. Also my first day on home-installed bindings.They don’t quite qualify though- only 195s.
    I'm thinking that lip sweater you're rocking has got to count for at least 10cm.

Is lot 4 the venue?
    (I thought I read there were changes to lot 4 access earlier this year, but my memory is, well...sometimes i make shit up)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Is lot 4 the venue?
    (I thought I read there were changes to lot 4 access earlier this year, but my memory is, well...sometimes i make shit up)
    They have been limiting parking to season pass holders, but my guess is it will be open by then.

If I don't end up traveling for spring break, I'll be there. Will need some skis that can handle 340mm BSL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'm thinking that lip sweater you're rocking has got to count for at least 10cm.
    Womb broom

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    thanks. I’ll take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Womb broom

Ha! I like that one better

Yeah I'll be there with a ski that's as old as me, K2 Extreme 8.3 with 207cm of glorious rainbow bases which will be making their lbd debut with me. It will be nice to meet some more of you in person.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Yeah I'll be there with a ski that's as old as me, K2 Extreme 8.3 with 207cm of glorious rainbow bases which will be making their lbd debut with me. It will be nice to meet some more of you in person.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    Those hadn't delammed?
    Had to literally bolt the tips together on the ones I had in the 90s
    "Big go stupid skis"

Bump for t-8 days n counting.

Cool history
    ————

Then Cane mounted a pair of 240-centimeter Kneissl long-jumping skis with Salomon 916 bindings. “It was literally like having a full ski behind your boot,” says Cane. “You couldn’t really jump turn because they were so heavy, and you couldn’t really snowplow because your legs would have to be so wide. My shins were all bruised up just from trying to maneuver them with normal boots.”

Back at Alpental, I’m on a pair of 210-centimeter K2 TNCs, joined by a pair of like-minded whack jobs primed to simulate a Chinese Downhill. To the right is a pair of Dynastar Coupe du Monde 223 DH boards. To the left is an equally imposing set of 212 Dynamic VR27s. The booze has been polished off, and another guy behind me, standing on 230s, is on acid. He is, apparently, the only person to ever ‘win’ Long Board Day.
    . . .

The VR 27 SGs will be present, Ullr allowing.
    I could bring a bottle of good wine. Any takers? GregL?

They may say there's no chatbored for old men, but sure as I sat grillin' and chillin' it once again dawned on me that the window to men's souls comes not from their eyes but from their longboards. It's not that I didn't want to see the longboards, it's just that sometimes when things were really, really good in the past, back before short skis, fat skis and snowboards, you don't much want to revisit the infrastructure of those memories. All the blood and shit of the West Texas nightmares like the ripped face of a cat gaping up from the floorboards of an old VW bug, whiskers protruding from a strangely bloodless cheek, eyes dun, teeth still wet, mean nothing. The purity of a snowbound day on skinnies shone through.

And so the glory of a dim PNW bore-der line day teetering between rain, sleet and snow in dumb clothes and vintage skis wafted up into a really decent kind of day all due to the madness and camaraderie found only in denizens of a peculiar patina: old gore-tex, stained headbands and rusty binding springs in addition to edges longer than the spike of an 80 year old gnarwhal. Despite the lack of scrimshaw lagniappes, it was the best of times with the best of people.

Kudos to z-bo for maintaining the electric traditions and snatching the prize for Crashmaster Flash from the feet of Slack Key who held the winners after a series of launch to eggbeater, one off a knoll 1 roller and another in the bumps of upper Nash. What's amazing is that 20 year old bindings still release.

And to AlpenChronicHabitual goes my personal prize for having the coolest skis: a pair of 225 Dynamic VR27 Descents that bested my vintage 223 1983 K2 DH planks. If you ever tire of those things they'll have a home with me.

Greydon gets the best outfit win despite my flailing attempts with wardrobe changes. I can almost smell Scot Schmidt in his presence. Peaches and Ream get's honorable mention for grungewear. GreenMachine stole my pants.

Thanks to the chroniclers:shintowin, mofro (who r00lz the Alpie BC on 213 Barney Clarks) and especially to the mad rodentia 99 for the props and particularly for this stunning production report.

Last edited by Buster Highmen; 04-03-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Solid re-hash. Was that the day I launched blind of a 20 ft to flat and everyone thought I was dead?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel