Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Tire Time

You talking the new KO2 conundrum, or the old BFG AT? I'm running the new KO2 and so far it kicks ass in everything I've put it through. From nasty steep rocky 4x4 roads in the high desert of Oregon, sticky slick muddy roads in Idaho, to really snowy icy roads here in Idaho and Washington. They have over exceeded my expectations.

Hercules are made by Cooper. I think their Avalanche Extreme is a little better that the Discover M&S. I run 10 plys on my 1/2ton 12 months a year and change them out every other fall (+/- 35K).

Great tire in the snow. If not for uneven wear after 35k I would have bought another set. FWIW, the AT2 is now discontinued but found on some sites as closeout.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So other than the OP I didn't see much talk of the Yokahoma Geolander A/T. It's the second best rated tire on tirerack.com and gets great reviews for snow: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

Any personal experience?

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    Great tire in the snow. If not for uneven wear after 35k I would have bought another set. FWIW, the AT2 is now discontinued but found on some sites as closeout.
    Uneven wear within the same tire or between the other tires? Without wading back through a third time, what did you end up with?

So other than the OP I didn't see much talk of the Yokahoma Geolander A/T. It's the second best rated tire on tirerack.com and gets great reviews for snow: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

Any personal experience?
    We put a set on the wife's rav4 and they have been great so far. Put a good amount of snow driving on them this last week coming back from CO.

They seem very quiet as well, quieter than my general AT2s and Cooper AT3s but all 3 of those are on very different rigs so YMMV.

Uneven wear on two of four although the tires were rotated every 5k (that's what the guy told me that changes my oil) on a 4WD (technically AWD).

I replaced them with the Wildpeak A/T3W. I have not really noticed an increase in road noise, but have found the tires unstoppable w/car/tire combo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Dec 02, 5 46 19 PM.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	196635

Uneven wear within the same tire or between the other tires? Without wading back through a third time, what did you end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You talking the new KO2 conundrum, or the old BFG AT? I'm running the new KO2 and so far it kicks ass in everything I've put it through. From nasty steep rocky 4x4 roads in the high desert of Oregon, sticky slick muddy roads in Idaho, to really snowy icy roads here in Idaho and Washington. They have over exceeded my expectations.
    Wondering this as well. I have about 2k miles on the new KO2 and have made a point to test them whenever there's been snow. They are undoubtedly superior to the old AT in snow and ice. With the rear locker I've barely had to use 4wd.

FWIW I got over 50k miles out of my old BFG ATs

I strongly suspect he was talking about the old version. People rave about the new ones, and all the tire tests give them top marks.

I'm still digging the Cooper ATWs on my 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Got it, mine is a 4th Gen limited with 18's.

Went with the Cooper WSC which is a true winter tire, vs AT all season.

Will report back.
    Cooper WSC is freaking awesome. I have the passenger rather than the LT model for the 4Runner. They are throughly recommended for mixed snow/ice/cold driving.

I still stand by Blizzaks being the best truck purchase I've made. It's shocking how much better they perform than the wrangler ATs the truck came with and the Cooper AT3s that are on it the other 8 months of the year

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Wondering this as well. I have about 2k miles on the new KO2 and have made a point to test them whenever there's been snow. They are undoubtedly superior to the old AT in snow and ice. With the rear locker I've barely had to use 4wd.

FWIW I got over 50k miles out of my old BFG ATs
    I think we got our KO2s within about a week of each other. Hit 2700 on mine today. Lovin em, used to have to put the truck in 4wd every time I came up my steep hill. I've only had to once so far this winter.

Really hoping they don't wear too fast. Definitely will be rotating every 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I still stand by Blizzaks being the best truck purchase I've made.
    Now that I'm E o' crest, renewing my fanboi status for studless ice tires (Blizzak, Hakka, X-Ice). Got Blizzak DM-V2s for the new Tundra. Ice and slippery snow performance is superior for sure. Would have preferred Michelin X-Ice for longer tread life but size not available. Hoping reports are true that newer Blizzak tread life has improved. Will swap in stock Michelin LTX A/T2 in the spring. Tied for top CR truck AT tire. Ya, Michelins are not hot with the in crowd but I've gotten great performance from tires made by the company that invented the radial tire.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 01-07-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Been happy with the cooper AT-W for over a year now (full time use). they continue to perform well in snow, deep slush, ice, and the mud/gravel/snow mix that was my road for part of this week. Roads/streets where I live were not designed for cars driving in snow (many are very steep and windy), those tires have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I still stand by Blizzaks being the best truck purchase I've made. It's shocking how much better they perform than the wrangler ATs the truck came with and the Cooper AT3s that are on it the other 8 months of the year
    Did Jackson to Denver on weds in Blizzard conditions in the 1500 with BLizzak DM2's, can hardly get the damn thing to slip! Well worth the $$$, curious to see how they wear.

Any personal experience?
    They were great tires on my Outback, really something magic about them on that car. I think there are likely better options for AT tires in truck sizes.

Truck Tire Time

Cooper makes good all season truck tires, but I like Nokians better.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Latest Nokian rotiva vs cooper ATW vs some other hockey puck.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Whites in unless it's a cool older truck.
    Guys that have the white letters mounted facing out are the same guys that have a single large bill wrapped around a bunch of singles in their money clip. In other words, digital death types. :FM:
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Latest Nokian rotiva vs cooper ATW vs some other hockey puck.
    I have about 1,000 miles on the new Nokian Rotiva, 90% of those in every snow condition possible. Bottom line is they are the best bad weather tires I've ever owned. Deep snow, ice, slush, frozen pavement, they just kill it. I'm sure the same tire with studs would be slightly better on slimy ice, but I've had poor luck with longevity of stud wear with the newer legal studs.

The Rotivas are better than any comparable AT Michelin, cooper, or Toyos that I've had, granted they were older versions. They seem great on dry pavement although I've only had a handful of miles experience.

I bought mine at a local garage,, but Walmart also carries them priced lower than any tires in the same class.

Two solid thumbs up on these tires.

CR gave Nokian Rotiiva middling marks, only "fair" in ice braking but good dry braking rating

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Hankook Dynapro ATM is a good tire, snowflake rated, good/great in snow, reasonably quiet for an AT tire and reasonably priced. I like them as much as the Duratracs I had before.
    I have the Hankook's on my wifes Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 and they go go go in the snow. I've bought them 2x for it and will buy them again and again.

I've had Rotiivas on the Subaru for 25k kms, with about 75% tread left. They've been great so far in many conditions... rock, sand, gravel, slush, snow and ice. They handle well enough on the hwy, wet and dry. They've been working well for traveling high speed crushed gravel logging roads and other rough semi-maintained backroads.
    The car had Nokian Hakka studded for years before getting the Rotiiva, which work just as well for winter except for slick ice of course. I agree with the stopping on ice... ok, but not great. Probably due to less siping than a proper winter tire.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I've had the old BFG MTs and ATs and would rather have the Cooper STTs than either. I haven't tried the KO2s and I'm also interested in the new STT Pro's but I have three sets of tires to wear out first-brand new AT3's on the 4x4 van, half life STTs on my 80, and Toyo's on the F150. I just can't like the Toyo's but they are what came on the pickup. If I got AT3s on it and it was as loose, I'd sell it and buy a different pickup.

Gotcha! The KO2 is a completely different animal.

I've got the new rotiiva at plus Light truck (10 ply) on my ford explorer. I've had blizzaks, studded mastercraft courser msr's , and most every winter tire out there. These nokian rotiiva's kill it on everything except stopping on slick wet ice. not advertised as a true winter tire, but they work pretty damn well. Very happy with the purchase. Just got me through the latest tahoe storm. Only thing that stopped me was low clearance on the explorer. Only time I had noticably poor stopping was tonight at the bottom of an off ramp where there was glare ice with water running across it. great tire.