Suspected broken bone in foot. Intermediate Cuneiform area

Drunken barefoot shenanigans at our touring/party cabin in the mtns friday night. Woke up Saturday morning with Mandarin Orange size swelling on top of my foot right in between the ankle and toes, mid foot. Looking at diagrams of the foot bones I would say it's the intermediate cuneiform area.

Iced like crazy and managed to squeeze it into my ski boot with a lot of pain. Managed to ski tour all day.

Got home and there is quite a bit of bruising/swelling from that point down to toes, fair amount of pain walking and flexing toes both down and up. Mobility is ok though.

Have tried to get into see Dr. but fully booked until next week, clinic had a line of 20 people already before they opened this morning.

Just wondering if the typical R.I.C.E. formula is all I can really do or should I be getting x-rays in case I need a walking boot? Possible to do more damage without proper treatment? Would really like to ski again in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Vibes.

Buckle up tight and only ski pow. You should be fine. (of course I am not a doctor)
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

More reading, sounds like a possible lisfranc injury. Fuck I hate waiting in clinics! Feel like I could ski pow (thats all I do besides the bunny hill with the 2 yr old.) but just worried about long term effects.

Do you remember what happened?

Ha, not really. Was running away from getting shot by fireworks with just my shorts on. Got some burns from a roman candle as well. Idiots. Was my bday weekend.

Don't think I hit it, maybe slipped while running.

gout? haha. not really, but vibes....
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Get xrays of your foot and make sure they are weight bearing. I would also be worried about a Lisfranc injury, especially if it were a twisting mechanism.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Thank you. Saw Dr this morning. She was a little perplexed but doesn't think anything is broken. Thinks I damaged some of the connective tissue just above the bone and the massive bruising and swelling is causing me the discomfort. Hope to try to get it into a boot this weekend.

Weight bearing for sure but constant pain. Decent movement but hampered from the swelling.

I agree with orhoski, need WB X-rays and a proper Ortho exam. If axial loading of the mid foot is painful ( unable to bear weight on toes) I'd be worried about a lis franc injury as well.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Thank you. Saw Dr this morning. She was a little perplexed but doesn't think anything is broken. Thinks I damaged some of the connective tissue just above the bone and the massive bruising and swelling is causing me the discomfort. Hope to try to get it into a boot this weekend.

Weight bearing for sure but constant pain. Decent movement but hampered from the swelling.
    do you mean your doc said nothing is broken without an xray? If so I agree with the 2 ortho docs--you need an xray. What they meant by weight bearing is that the xray should be done with you standing on the foot and putting your weight on it.

He doesn't really want any medical advice ... Its just a rouse to tell his drunken fireworks birthday story.

Mark your calendars, next year there will be another, more serious illness/injury. It all started with shingles post birthday weekend 5 years ago ...

... way too much party for his wrinkled old balls.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

^^^ back to your cave troll.

Still a bit swollen and I can't bend or curl my toes downward without a lot of pain. Will get a 2nd opinion.