Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Damn I fucking love this tr, super stoked that I got to meet up with you and even more stoked that this is such a cool project and something that you are so passionate about and so good at documenting. Fuck yeah dude!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    I was saving your appearance for the mid-season finale

It was awesome getting to meet up and have a couple beers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I enjoyed following along on IG and this has been a great TR! Kind of funny that you drove through my homeland of NE Ohio in the dark, thanks to Bmills it looks like you didn't miss much.
    Ha. Yeah, I’ve seen as much of Ohio as I ever thought I would

I was in Canada for a good time, not a long time, and left the next morning in earnest. I had three days until my next game in Pittsburgh, but I wanted to get there as soon as possible. After such a long stretch of days, I wanted to have a couple days off to rest and get my life together a bit. 37 days in, and I was really starting to feel it.

Nobody in the US can complain about gas prices. I think this works out to like $8-9/gal.

I planned a route to Pittsburgh that took me through Niagara. I hadn't been since I was a senior in high school, and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to check it out again. The best view I got of the falls was ironically on the bridge crossing the border. I stood up on the pegs and went as slow as I dared, but didn't feel like it was a good place to stop.

I did park and walk over to the view area once I got back across.

Getting back into the US was a big relief. Anytime there are border crossings, they add a lot of stress to travel plans, especially in the age of COVID. I was now 2/3 of the way through the trip, and really just had to make my way back to the west coast from upstate NY.

The ride to Pittsburgh from Niagara was uneventful, and just retread some of the roads I had already ridden earlier in the trip. Things got less straightforward when I arrived at the hotel to find out they wouldn't park my motorcycle. The had a valet area that had probably a dozen cars in it, but they wouldn't let me park my bike in there, so I had to leave it overnight on the street until I could put it in a garage the next day. Frustrating.

The next morning, the frustrations continued as two more parking garages nearby wouldn't take motorcycles either. Finally, I found a garage a few blocks away that took bikes, but it was a cashless, unstaffed, garage, and the gate wouldn't recognize that there was a motorcycle trying to get it, and the station wouldn't dispense a ticket without tripping the sensor (this unfortunately became a theme for the next week). I finally got a person on the line, and they let me in. It did sort of work out in my favor as I found out that I could pay a motorcycle rate that saved me $20 a day. I guess that's fine.

I had two days in Pittsburgh and really didn't do a ton the first day. I did find a few good food and beer places that evening. This brewery is in an old church.

And found some good pizza to boot.

The next day was game day. I went in the morning to ride the Incline, which is the funicular that overlooks the Three Rivers area of Pittsburgh.

After that, I went to Primanti Bros, a Pittsburgh staple, where they put the fries INTO your sandwich. Such a great, delicious, innovation.

PNC Park is widely considered one of the most beautiful parks in the majors, and I think that's spot on. The views are all time.

Pittsburgh has a weird vibe to it in general, and nothing illustrates that more than the fact that there was a furries convention starting in Pittsburgh the next day. My hotel was full of half-costumed 20-somethings running around.

Once the furries show up, I think it's time to move on. Back to Ohio one last time the next day.

Left for Cincinnati a little later than scheduled after another 30 minute struggle with the parking garage gates, but got down there right around lunchtime.

I have always heard stories of Cincinnati chili, and there was a Skyline Chili near my hotel, so I had to go try it.

I would call this interesting. Not bad, per se, but definitely not my cup of tea, so to speak. The chili is much more of a Mediterranean meat sauce full of spices like cloves and cinnamon, and being smothered in cheese, on top of spaghetti is an um.... interesting choice. I didn't hate it, but I think it's a one and done for me.

After that, it was game time. The Great American Ballpark is right on the river that separates Ohio and Kentucky. It was a hot, sticky night in Cincy, and there was a decent crowd for the game that was more Braves fans than Reds fans.

I forgot to mention above that this was the second game of another six games in six days stretch, so there wasn't much time in Cincy. I headed out of the stadium and back to the hotel because, the next day, was maybe the second most iconic ball park in all of sports: Wrigley Field.

My wife and I used to travel to other parks to watch the Red Sox since it was generally cheaper than Fenway tickets and hotels in Boston. One of those trips was to Pittsburgh in (I think) 2014. Same Furry convention going on the weekend we were there. We all have our weirdness but those people are off the charts. Had a Primanti Brothers sandwich and a Budweiser for breakfast one of the mornings we were there. Trying to be a Yinzer.

Also agree that PNC Park is the most beautiful ballpark I have been to (never been to Wrigley or Dodger Stadium tho...). We loved Pittsburgh overall. Very walkable.

Also a hard pass on Cinci-style chili....

Loving this TR!

Awesome! Loving the TR. Would like to do the same someday (but not on moto). You mentioned a crazy price for hotel in Cleveland!? Have you just been booking hotels mostly day before? How difficult getting game tickets?

If you do make it back to San Diego, hopefully coincides with microbrew or taco night at Petco. Back when I was going to games often(<2016), those are fun nights. $5 local pints and $1 street tacos. One night I ate 20 tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Awesome! Loving the TR. Would like to do the same someday (but not on moto). You mentioned a crazy price for hotel in Cleveland!? Have you just been booking hotels mostly day before? How difficult getting game tickets?

If you do make it back to San Diego, hopefully coincides with microbrew or taco night at Petco. Back when I was going to games often(<2016), those are fun nights. $5 local pints and $1 street tacos. One night I ate 20 tacos.
    Yeah, $1 taco night > $1 dog night for sure!

I was mostly getting tickets/hotels a couple days out for the actual game cities. For Cleveland, I was so early I had to cancel the res I had and get a different one, but the one night that was crazy $$ was actually the same price in the old reservation as the new one, it was just sort of hidden in the average rate. Game tickets I really didn't have a huge issue with. The game in Tampa was the mind boggling one, but mostly I could get tickets for less than $35 day of. Most games I could find upper deck tickets on SeatGeek for less than $20 after fees, and I'd just sit wherever I wanted in the stadium.

I paid a premium to go to the Sox/Cubs games in Chicago over the 4th of July weekend, but that's to be expected, and I bought those really early on in my trip planning.

Hotels were more of a crap shoot. Random cities would be super expensive, others totally reasonable. I paid less in Miami, NYC, LA, and DC than I did in Cleveland, Detroit, Denver, and Cincinnati.

Woke up in Cincy to a little bit of rain, but soon enough that was gone and had a fairly easy cruise into Chicago.

It was day 41, which was July 2nd. I essentially built the entire schedule around getting here for the 4th of July weekend. The Red Sox were in town to play the Cubs for the first time in over a decade, and I had tickets to both Saturday, and Sunday.

As I rolled into Chicago metro area, I hit a series of toll booths. I had to stop every couple of miles to pay a $1-2 toll. Without an EZ Pass, each toll booth cost me 15 minutes. Oof.

Eventually I got to a point where I could take surface streets around all the tolls, and made it to my hotel.

A few hours later, I hopped on the L to make my way to the friendly confines. I stopped at the diviest place I could find in Wrigleyville for a Chicago Handshake, aka a shot of Malort and an Old Style.

I actually didn't hate it, and certainly didn't have the reaction lots of people do the first time they try it. I think they are all just being dramatic.

Finally, I had made it.

What can you say about this place that hasn't been said before?

I settled in for the game, and called it an early night afterwards. There were fireworks downtown, but I just wasn't up for it. The road fatigue was really dragging on me by now. I'd had one day off (no riding and no game) in the last month, and it was catching up to me.

The next morning I woke up bright an early to meet a friend at a farmers market for coffee and to catch up. She took me to this place for empanadas run by an old grandma she just called "Mama" and it was incredible.

Full of great food and conversation, I headed back to Wrigley for a Sunday afternoon game. Day baseball at Wrigley is so iconic, I'm glad I got to see it.

The game even went to extras, with a wild two run 11th for the Sox to steal a game on getaway day.

Here are my thoughts on Wrigley: maybe I was victim to my expectations, but I didn't love it the way I thought I would. I don't think they've handled their upgrades as well as they have at Fenway, IMO, and it's a little awkward to get around (they even got sued by the DOJ for not complying with the ADA on their renovations, which seems like a huge oversight on their part). I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it cracks my top 5. Which honestly shocked me.

After the game I met up with tgapp, who was in town, for some beers just north of Wrigley and just soaked in the rest of a beautiful summer day in Chicago. His new lady rightly suggested he shouldn't trust a Boston sports fan...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	422978

It's the 4th of July, and I have the whole day to bum around. I booked myself an architecture boat tour by recommendation of my friend from yesterday, and stopped by the Bean on my way over. Time to play tourist a bit.

Had to try the deep dish pizza, as well on my way out of downtown.

I got back to my hotel room to get changed for the next game, the Chicago White Sox at Guaranteed Rate Field. My phone started blowing up because there had just been a mass shooting near Chicago at a 4th of July parade. Just heartbreaking. There was a chance that the game was going to be cancelled, but they decided to play it, so I made my way down to South Chicago. That day I sat through the second moment of silence for a shooting in a community I was visiting in the last four weeks.

It also looked like the game might get delayed for rain, but it cleared up just in time for first pitch.

Konerko bobblehead night.

Guaranteed Rate is a frustrating place because you can't travel between the levels. My first time in a park I want to walk around and get the lay of the land, but there's no way to get up or down in this stadium. Woof.

The game was pretty good, but the absolute highlight was seeing the first ever 8-5 triple play!

Also had a LaRussa sighting. He walked out to argue, and I think the ump felt bad having to throw him out since it took him like a full minute to get to home plate. Lol.

Overall, I had enjoyed my time in Chicago, but it was once again time to move on. Next stop, Detroit. This was a little bit of a tough one, because it was basically the only time in the whole trip I had to backtrack directly backwards on a route I had already ridden. But one day of backtracking is not too bad, and that's what the schedule called for.

So off we went, east, one last time. Michigan! A new state on the ride.

Made it into Detroit with no issues, and had time to see the game that evening. I bought a ticket as I was waiting in line to check in, and the whole thing almost blew up when my room wasn't ready for almost two hours after check in. Ugh. But, we just made it, and had time to try our next regional pizza - Detroit style.

I'm just going to say it, Detroit style > Chicago style pizza. This was awesome.

Comerica Park is another great ballpark. It was a really hot night, but otherwise, it was great. I got my ticket, 8 rows back, for less than the price of the beers in the stadium.

They absolutely thumped the Guardians, and we wrapped up day 44.

The next day was the first truly zero day in 35 days. There was no rush to get to our next spot, and I had the hotel booked, so I hung out in Detroit for the day. Nearing the end of the trip, real life is starting to creep back in, so I had a work call, and some bad weather kept me inside much of the day, but I managed to get out a bit to see some sights.

I went to Eminem's pop up pasta shop for dinner, appropriately named Mom's Spaghetti. It was just a window in an alley, and it was delicious.

That wrapped up my day in Detroit. A much-needed down day, and I was ready to turn around, and head west for good.
    Last edited by Supermoon; 08-03-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Been thoroughly enjoying this, thanks man

MALORT!

Man this a great TR! I grew up around Chicago and my dad took me to my first Cubs game at Wrigley when I was young. He let me skip school and took me to a day game. I ended up being a bit under the weather and fell asleep. I woke up and the old timer behind me had decided I needed a Cubs hat so he put his old vintage one on my head. Used to love $5 bleacher seats and old styles. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I've been lucky enough to go to a few games at Wrigley, before and after the cleansing of Wrigleyville. First one was in the early 90's, wifey went to school in Chicago area, and a bunch of her friends lived in Wrigleyville which is what you did after college there. It was a revelation. It was a nice day so I didn't get the typical spring experience of a rain delay and everyone going across the street and getting obliterated in a neighboring bar. Last one was about 6 years ago, on July 4 weekend and while fun, I think the rehabbing of the neighborhood has taken a lot from the place.

Yeah I had friends who lived 2 blocks from Wrigley. Right behind where all the "club" bleachers got put in. Havent been back since things changed. Dammit now I'm craving a hot beef and some Kingston Mines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Back again for one final push to the end (hopefully). I owed the wife a trip with the two of us, and after 40 hours on the road (this time towing a boat behind our truck), I'm back in the land of internet service and can finish this thing.

I left Detroit in high spirits because I was heading back to my home state of Wisconsin. Initially I wanted to take a ferry across Lake Michigan, which would give me a different route back (instead of driving through Chicago for the third time in five days), but the timing didn't work out. I had a work call I needed to be on right when I would have been loading up on the ferry. Bummer. But no worries, we know this route well by now, so off to Chicago we go.

I made good time into Chicago, and got through with a few slow downs as I could have hoped for. Milwaukee is just a quick couple hours from Chicago, so I rolled in early afternoon. My hotel here was so sweet. It was right in Downtown MKE, and had an art gallery in the lobby. It also came with a free glass of champagne.

(It also came with a $20 bar credit, which I immediately cashed in for a double Jameson while I walked around the gallery. I could get used to this!)

I spent the evening wandering around Milwaukee. Saw the Fonzie statue

The next day I was headed to the Harley Davidson Museum. But it was Friday, so I had to find me some fish fry for lunch.

I'm not a Harley person, by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel like it's a must-see when I was this close, and had the day to kill. It did not disappoint. They have all kinds of old bikes, dating back to the very early 1900's

Definitely check it out whenever you're in Milwaukee.

Stadium #27 on our journey is American Family Field (previously known as Miller Park). It's a beautiful stadium with an interesting retractable roof.

I saw a great game, and even had myself a Brandy Old Fashioned.

Then, as I was walking down the aisle, cocktail in hand, a ball came right at me, and I caught it. One handed. Didn't even spill any of my drink.

I love Wisconsin.

NS TR: Riding my motorcycle to every Major League Ballpark

I really wish I had more time in MKE to hang out, but I honestly couldn't afford to stay any longer. The hotels were SO expensive there for some reason. So it was on to our next stop, Minneapolis. I had three days before the next game, so I had some time to kill.

I plotted my route through Wisconsin to go through my hometown of Wausau, and stopped by my old house to snap a pic for my folks.

From there it was just a couple of hours through some beautiful countryside.

Then I was back across the Mississippi River one last time, and I was in Minneapolis after a fairly easy 377 mile day.

I had a couple days to kill, so I just wandered around Minneapolis for a few days.

Ate some great food

Went to the Mall of America (turns out it's basically just a big mall)

And saw some art

Also ate what's called a Jucy Lucy - a burger with the cheese inside of it. Bring cash.

Then, before I knew it, it was game day. Target Field was high on my list of stadiums to see, as it's always called one of the best places to watch a game.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a great chance to explore too much, as the rain came in hot and heavy.

After the third rain delay, I called it. I had a long day ahead of me the next day.

I woke up in Minneapolis on Wednesday, and I needed to be in Denver for a game Friday night. So I had a couple of long-ish days ahead of me, but nothing too rowdy.

I hit the road early, and opted to not take the interstate down to Des Moines, but instead to wind my way down through Minnesota, into Iowa, then Nebraska.

I hit some road construction, and the detour took me to the first gravel riding of the entire trip. It was a lot looser than it looks, and it was the only moment I wished I had to OEM tires on.

That's more an indictment of my off-road skills than the Africa Twin, and I made it through that 15 miles unscathed.

The route I took ended up not having any great stopping points, so I just kept going. I continued my streak of not having a 500+ mile day that stayed under 100 degrees.

I saw 105 through Nebraska, and my poor trail mix didn't make it.

At mile 700, that's a real gut punch.

I kept going, and all of a sudden (16 hours later) I was outside of Denver!

Some nice God Rays to show me the way in.

I made it to Denver in 1 day, traveling 851 miles. By far my biggest day on a bike ever. The best thing, is that it let me make the Thursday day game in Denver, and cut another day off the trip.

The next morning in Denver I walked around town a bit, then headed to Coors Field. It was going to be a scorcher, with temps over 100 again.

Hard pass

Every 20-something in Denver was up on the roof deck

After the game I stopped at a place called Hop Doddy's for a burger and a frozen margarita. I go to the one in Scottsdale, AZ all the time, and they just opened one up in Denver in the last few years.

So that was Denver! Stadium number 29 is in the books, with just Seattle left. The bad news is that we are running into the All Star break, where all the teams are off for almost a week, but the good news is that Seattle is just a few hours from my house, so I get to go home for a few days in between. I have 1250 or so miles to get to my house, and I have to say, I am ready to get back.
    Last edited by Supermoon; 08-25-2022 at 09:05 AM.

NS TR: Riding my motorcycle to every Major League Ballpark

Alright, let's go home!

My first day heading from Denver to Portland was going to take me to Heber, UT where my dad lives.

I headed up I 70 early in the morning, and absolutely froze! Definitely should have worn some layers. Saw I think 45 degrees at the summit near Vail

I think this day was probably the prettiest day of riding of the whole trip. I love this part of the country.

I stopped real quick near Dinosaur National Monument

Hit a little rain through the Uintas, but made it to Heber safe and sound, 457 miles later.

Spent the night hanging with my dad, his partner, my brother and his wife, and their new puppy. Was great to see everyone, eat a home-cooked meal, and sleep in a real bed.

In my schedule, I had planned to stop in Boise and stay with my in-laws on my way from Heber to Portland, but after doing 850 miles the other day, I knew I could go more than that, and I really, really just wanted to get home. So the next morning I left super early with the idea of getting all the way back to Portland.

Started the day with more great riding and beautiful scenery, but soon enough, it was just a straight slog on the freeways. Northern Utah and Southern Idaho on i-15 and I-84 are not that fun, but 80 mph speed limits mean you make good time. Into Idaho.

After a quick lunch in Boise, I was back into Oregon for the first time in 54 days. True to form, it was well over 100 degrees again.

Then four hours later I hit the Columbia River Gorge, and my first view of Mt Hood in the distance. That usually means I'm about two hours from home.

Then, amazingly, after less than 12 hours, I made it home, with my wife and dog waiting for me (I made such good time my wife had to leave work early to meet me).

Total miles for day 55: 817

So yeah, I had about five days at home at this point. I unpacked, did laundry, rested, and got ready for the last little jaunt up to Seattle the next weekend.
    Last edited by Supermoon; 08-25-2022 at 09:08 AM.

The last ballpark!

It was Saturday morning, and the Mariners were playing a 1 pm game. So bright and early I hit the road again. This time, I had my wife, dog, and a few friends in a car behind me. We were meeting a couple other friends, along with some family, in Seattle as well. Might as well make this a party!

I made it!

(yes someone made shirts!)

T-Mobile might be the park I've been to the most, and it's always a great time, and it was an absolutely gorgeous day for a game. Perfect way to cap off number 30!

After the game, we went back to my friends' place with a great view of the Sound, where we drank too many beers and hung out.

The ballparks were done, but as I was saying the whole time, the trip isn't over until you're back home in the garage, so I still had 175 miles left. First things first, we all needed some breakfast to soak up the night before. Of course, it ended up being motorcycle themed.

Then it was time to head home.

One last gas station hang.

And our last state line.

NOW it's officially done.

Final stats:
    63 days (with five days off the road at the end)
    13,143 miles ridden
    Low temp seen: 45 degrees near Vail
    High temp seen: 109 degrees just south of Atlanta
    Longest day miles: 851 - Minneapolis to Denver
    Longest day time: 17 hours - Atlanta to Deals Gap to Cleveland
    Favorite ballpark: Fenway
    Worst ballpark: Oakland Colosseum
    Longest ballgame streak: 6 days (twice)

IRON ASS AWARD

Seriously, fantastic trip.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Seriously, fantastic trip.
    Thanks man! Definitely once in a lifetime sort of thing

Been anxiously awaiting this. Thanks for including us on your adventure!

Awesome report, thanks for the report

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Serious question:

More time in the saddle, or on a seat in a park?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Serious question:

More time in the saddle, or on a seat in a park?
    Oh man, so much more saddle time. Probably easily double or triple the time on the bike.

Epic trip! In absolute awe. Former rider (until I had a bunch of crotch goblins) and did a lot of motorcycle camping trips I can only begin to understand what that kind of mileage feels like.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    …Longest day miles: 851 - Minneapolis to Denver
    Longest day time: 17 hours - Atlanta to Deals Gap to Cleveland
    Oh man, I can’t even…