Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bugging out to PNW/BC. Reccos?

I’m bugging out solo from Utah to PNW/BC next week - probably for about 7-10 days. Targets are Bham(hooked up with place and guidance there) then on to Squamish and Whistler.

I’ve never ridden Squamish and it’s been 8 years since Whistler. Probably do 2 days in the park, so looking for other stuff to ride.
    Food, drink, trails, suggestions for other destinations?

I’m contemplating busting up to Revelstoke, maybe Nelson too?

What say you, collective?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you've got one day in Squamish, I prefer the Alice Lake stuff over the Diamond Head / Half Nelson area. Pretty much everything around Alice Lake is fun. Rupert is a fun warm up. Treasure and Pleasure Trail are good challenges.

If it's wet, Pemberton has great trails and tends to be a bit drier.

Nelson has the quality of Squamish, but with more vert and less people. Cool town, too. If I had one day there, I'd do a Log Jam to Paper Bag in the morning, eat lunch in town, then head up and do a Newtsac lap and a Morning Sickness lap on the North shore.

We'll be in Whistler next week. Drop a line if you want to run a couple laps.

Roger that. Excellent. Gracias

call me
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

If you want a longer pedal in Whistler, Lord of the Squirrels is great. The Blackcomb trails are fun longer descents. The majority of the trail riding in the Whistler valley is pretty technical and pedally, but awesome.

In Squamish, I think Somewhere Over There would be the trail I'd ride if I could pick only one. It has a bit of everything. But the Alice Lake area has a ton of possibilities with many slabs. In n Out Burger has a huge, long slab that isn't that hard but is pretty cool.

Pemberton may be my favourite nearby riding area of any, but you'll want to go there only if it's a bit cooler and there has been some moisture. My choice of trails would be Rusty Trombone, Mackenzie Cruise, Cop Killer (more full-on), Stimulus/Live Like Lisa, Max Pains/Backpains, Hawaii, The Sickness/No Err and Econoline/Econo Dave/Waterfall. Check out some of the previous Pemberton Enduro routes on Trailforks.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    call me
    I'll save Joe the call.

Kidwoo "BC sucks, just stick to BHam."

Food recommendation: Post ride burritos or the taco salad at Sunny Chibas in Squamish. Slightly pricey but delicious.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...3292816569271/

Quote Originally Posted by auguyette View Post
    Food recommendation: Post ride burritos or the taco salad at Sunny Chibas in Squamish. Slightly pricey but delicious.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...3292816569271/
    Now we’re talkin!

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I'll save Joe the call.

Kidwoo "BC sucks, just stick to BHam."

Nah BC rocks, just not where you live.

sorry, had to
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Just spent most of August in the Squamish/Whistler area. Only did one day in the park and rode nearly every day so got to sample a lot of the goods. I thought the highlights were Lord of the Squirrels, Pleasure Trail and Dark Crystal. Pleasure trail has to be the most amazing trail I've ever ridden. Everything is just on the absolute edge of insanity, but if you commit to the lines it's built so perfectly. I did Treasure Trail too but that was just a bit much for me. The shit they let Canadians build in the woods is bonkers. The climbs around Whistler were brutal, but it kept everyone away. Couldn't believe how few people I'd see on the trails.

Fish and chips at Wigan Pier in Squamish

A+ dude. Thank you

Depending on when and where you rolk through we've got a spare room in van and can show you around there or Squamladesh/Whis edit assuming youre Hanrahan

Word. I’m probably rolling through Van, but if you make it up toward Squam/Whis next week lmk.
    It’d be 20 years since we first rallied Drunken Bear, I think.

Edit: That’s fucking crazy

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    If you want a longer pedal in Whistler, Lord of the Squirrels is great. The Blackcomb trails are fun longer descents. The majority of the trail riding in the Whistler valley is pretty technical and pedally, but awesome.

In Squamish, I think Somewhere Over There would be the trail I'd ride if I could pick only one. It has a bit of everything. But the Alice Lake area has a ton of possibilities with many slabs. In n Out Burger has a huge, long slab that isn't that hard but is pretty cool.

Pemberton may be my favourite nearby riding area of any, but you'll want to go there only if it's a bit cooler and there has been some moisture. My choice of trails would be Rusty Trombone, Mackenzie Cruise, Cop Killer (more full-on), Stimulus/Live Like Lisa, Max Pains/Backpains, Hawaii, The Sickness/No Err and Econoline/Econo Dave/Waterfall. Check out some of the previous Pemberton Enduro routes on Trailforks.
    Good stuff! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Word. I’m probably rolling through Van, but if you make it up toward Squam/Whis next week lmk.
    It’d be 20 years since we first rallied Drunken Bear, I think.

Edit: That’s fucking crazy

Up in Whis now riding alpine. Van for half week then back

Alice lake in squamish is nice but quite short. So you can hit a lot of stuff in a short time. My hit list for the best Bellingham has to offer is double down and Cnut ridge in the chuckanuts.
    For Galbraith cougar ridge ( it’s been bluescaped but still fun) upper and lower waterfall. EVO pumptrack attomic dog. Mohawk, mullet, chech Chong, rank advancement. Happy hour (all 3 sections). Dad bod full pull. Id normally say SST but it’s still fucked after logging so air chair would be the rec for the north side.

When you leaving? Heading from pdx to Denver starting on 16, wondering if we’ll cross paths for s ride.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Slight thread drift... but for those who have spent decent time in both Squamish and Revelstoke, how do they compare? I absolutely love Revelstoke, and am looking to explore more areas like that in BC. I'm thinking my next trip will include Golden, maybe Nelson too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Dad bod full pull.
    Is this the segment for all 3 put together? That’s fucking amazing

I don’t have kids but this speaks to me

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Slight thread drift... but for those who have spent decent time in both Squamish and Revelstoke, how do they compare? I absolutely love Revelstoke, and am looking to explore more areas like that in BC. I'm thinking my next trip will include Golden, maybe Nelson too.
    On a scale of 5 with 1 being worse and 5 being best as compared to other BC towns with strong networks. I'm including sanctioned vs unsanctioned because I dont know if you're thinking for personal interest or for guiding

Revelstoke - Alpine is scenic and trails are good. Below treeline trails are getting there but trail network is not as dense or as varied as one might like. Assuming you can guide only the sanctioned trails there are lots of options. Alpine 4* BTL 3*

Squamish - Sanctioned alpine is next to non-existent. Unsanctioned alpine is very good. BTL is very strong with lots of variety and density. Alpine 1* (assuming sanctioned only) BTL 5*

Golden - Sanctioned alpine is average with one strong trail liftserved from KHMR and Mount 7 of course. Downsides is that alpine riding requires strong tech and DH skills. Unsanctioned alpine is very good. BTL is strong with growing amounts of variety and density. Alpine 3* (assuming sanctioned only) BTL 4*

Nelson - Sanctioned alpine is good if you count New Denver/Kaslo in the area (approx 1 hour drives). BTL is OK but improving. Most of the trails are still fall-line with shuttles ie one-dimensional but with density. Alpine 3* (assuming sanctioned only) BTL 3*

That's a nice little summary, gracias. How does the type of riding in Revelstoke compare to Squamish and Nelson specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    That's a nice little summary, gracias. How does the type of riding in Revelstoke compare to Squamish and Nelson specifically?
    Its more mellow. Even the hardest area ( Boulder) is relatively laid back

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Is this the segment for all 3 put together? That’s fucking amazing

I don’t have kids but this speaks to me

It is. Do it proper chug a beer at top and at bottom.

Goddamn BC is so rad for MTB. No better place to cash in the fun tickets.

Many good recs given for Squamish area so far. Generally I think Alice Lakes has more of the uniquely Squamish tech features (rolls) and the Diamond Head side has more high speed flow and berms/jumps. War Pig was my fave of the flowy/jumpy/bermy.

Green Monster is a super fun novelty in Whistler and can be done really quickly after a day of riding longer trails.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Its more mellow. Even the hardest area ( Boulder) is relatively laid back
    Interesting... I found Boulder pretty rowdy. The trails are fast and steep, and you need to keep on your toes. It’s a different kind of rowdy from Squamish, where there are lots of moves. But for dirt trail, I found Boulder exciting when trying to carry some speed. Laid back was not a word that came to mind.