Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by angler99 View Post
    This phenomenon has been going on since the Marker Duke. For every 20 sets of Marker Dukes you saw on the chairlift, maybe 1 of those people even knew how to put them in tour mode. The thing with the Duke though was people still used real alpine boots and the binding actually skied like an alpine binding with elasticity and a reliable DIN release. I now cringe when I see these same types of people on tech bindings in-bounds.
    I’d rather ski Tectons inbounds than Marker Dukes and their massive stack height. Not joking even a little.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Skinning out of bounds is equally quick, just as good of a workout, results in skiing pow, and doesn't involve going in the opposite direction as out of control gapers.

I'm sticking with my slant.
    Not even close to as quick at least in my case but I live in a ski town and the resort is much closer than the nearest tour. I also skin before/after work so the lifts are closed. No gapers. If you want to die on this hill go right ahead but you have an objectively bad take here.
    Last edited by JaytaeMoney; 02-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Not even close to as quick at least in my case but I live in a ski town close to the hill. I also skin before/after work so the lifts are closed. No gapers. If you want to die on this hill go right ahead but you have an objectively bad take here.
    I live in a ski town too. If I want a quick skin, I bump up the lift and go walk around in the side country. Or I just walk up the hill next to the resort that's not inbounds.

Walking uphill to ski down a groomer is a waste of effort. But by all means, keep doing it. More pow for me.

First of all to the OP, I think there is only one person in Fernie who has "low techs" (race style bindings), but she would be skiing tele at the resort.

I too have pointed out locked out toes to people (an also unlocked toes on the UP!), typically someone who can ski all the terrain at the hill, but also isn't hucking so shouldn't be prereleasing. But they say they walk out of their bindings all the time. Bindings are supposed to work, clean out those toe sockets, make sure the pin gap is set properly.

I live in a ski town too. If I want a quick skin, I bump up the lift and go walk around in the side country. Or I just walk up the hill next to the resort that's not inbounds.

Walking uphill to ski down a groomer is a waste of effort. But by all means, keep doing it. More pow for me.
    What if I'm alone and want to skin a lot of vert for exercise? Different purposes. If you're aware of a tour in Aspen within walking distance of downtown where I can do 3,200 vertical of uphill in 90 minutes, and upon completion of said uphill be back to my office in about 10 minutes please share!

What if I'm alone and want to skin a lot of vert for exercise? Different purposes. If you're aware of a tour in Aspen within walking distance of downtown where I can do 3,200 vertical of uphill in 90 minutes, and upon completion of said uphill be back to my office in about 10 minutes please share!
    If you can't find a place to walk uphill that's not inbounds, then you either need to look harder or perhaps find a better ski town.

I'm with you on this. Once a week, typically Wednesday mornings, I hike our local hill at about 6:45, 1,500' of vert, ski the groomer down (since there's reliably never any pow there) and proceed to work. It's a great way to start the day. I don't ski there the rest of the time and just do it because it beats the hell out of working out in my basement daily.

I understand the quick workout thing, but I tend to gravitate towards what Toast is saying. Seems crazy to me to ski down a groomer when you can be just as safe (and have more fun) meadow skipping some off piste / soft snow. The only time I've ever skinned up a groomer was at Sugar Bowl (before the lifts were spinning) to then drop outside the boundary and ski some powder. I will say, skinning up the groomed ascent was nice and efficient but if it's about exercise you have to skin a lot more vert on a groomer to get the same workout IMO.

I would never, ever want to skin up at a resort with people coming down at the same time. No thanks.

and is as safe from an avy perspective. This is key.

Don't get me wrong -- a real tour is *always* better than skinning inbounds: it's more fun, it's a better workout, more solitude, etc. But you can't beat the convenience of skinning inbounds. And skinning is much better preparation for skinning than anything else (running, cycling, gym, etc).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If you can't find a place to walk uphill that's not inbounds
    I never said that, sick straw man though. I said there are no tours where I can do 3,200' alone, very quickly, safely (i.e. not in avy terrain), within walking distance of my home or office. This entire discussion about why someone would ever skin at the ski area was predicated on convenience and exercise, remember?????

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    and is as safe from an avy perspective. This is key.
    Absolutely. Left that part out because it's implied in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    First of all to the OP, I think there is only one person in Fernie who has "low techs" (race style bindings), but she would be skiing tele at the resort.

I too have pointed out locked out toes to people (an also unlocked toes on the UP!), typically someone who can ski all the terrain at the hill, but also isn't hucking so shouldn't be prereleasing. But they say they walk out of their bindings all the time. Bindings are supposed to work, clean out those toe sockets, make sure the pin gap is set properly.
    Not always true. When i had the dynafit radicals a few years ago, i was on a moderate blue slope, carved a turn really hard and next i knew was in the air with one ski only.

I had a hematoma on my hip for 8 weeks.

I got rid of these, as i couldn't trust them in no fall zones

I now have g3 ions and Salomon mtn bindings, and i never prereleased

I weigh 175 and the g3 is at 11, the mtn has the expert spring.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I never said that, sick straw man though. I said there are no tours where I can do 3,200' alone, very quickly, safely (i.e. not in avy terrain), within walking distance of my home or office. This entire discussion about why someone would ever skin at the ski area was predicated on convenience and exercise, remember?????

Absolutely. Left that part out because it's implied in this discussion.
    Maps.google.com

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I understand the quick workout thing, but I tend to gravitate towards what Toast is saying. Seems crazy to me to ski down a groomer when you can be just as safe (and have more fun) meadow skipping some off piste / soft snow. The only time I've ever skinned up a groomer was at Sugar Bowl (before the lifts were spinning) to then drop outside the boundary and ski some powder. I will say, skinning up the groomed ascent was nice and efficient but if it's about exercise you have to skin a lot more vert on a groomer to get the same workout IMO.

I would never, ever want to skin up at a resort with people coming down at the same time. No thanks.
    Part of this is that at the local hill, there's a prescribed early morning route that doesn't interfere with any other skiers since the mountain's not open yet. As for meadow skipping in soft snow, there generally isn't any since that aspect is always wind-blown shit. As I mentioned, this is a Wednesday morning deal with 45 minutes up, transition out of skins, about 3 minutes down a groomer and on my way off the mountain within an hour. I do my touring on Saturday afternoons after my main hill is chewed up. That's a different deal altogether.

Serious question toast: Do you work a typical 9-5 type job? If so, how many days a week on average do you tour solo before or after work?

Because almost everybody I know who is really fit while working a 9-5, skins inbounds before or after work several times during their work week and tours for real on their days off. Maybe I just don't know the right people, but I find it interesting that almost all of them choose to skin inbounds for the convenience, with the occasional real midweek tour if they can get to the office a bit later or leave a bit earlier.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

FWIW, I skin one day a week for the exercise, inbounds as noted. I head to Schweitzer Thurs nights and ski 3 days there with Sat afternoons for touring for about 4 hours. The reason for the local hike on Wed is strictly for the exercise to help me be better for Saturdays with my buddies. That's what works for me and is certainly location and job dependent. YMMV depending on where you live, when you work, and what your purposes are. To each their own.

I certainly see some uphillers at resorts and totally get the exercise thing. Makes sense. But I also see a ton of dudes riding lifts on top of the line skimo gear DPS on icy/crusty days. It's an interesting play given the effort to get to the local hill to ski on that shit, but I guess you got to get your setup dialed. my dad still rips the lifts on his salomon F9 skis, F9 rear entry boots, onepeice 80s bogner and DGAF. I say let the players play

For the love of Ullr stop skiing your low tech bindings at the resort!

Just finished up a day of skiing Heavenly on my Kingpins. The snow was very light and there was 3-6 feet of it. Heavenly took forever to open lifts and unofficially allows skinning inbounds. I was with my friend who didn’t have his backcountry gear but skinning would have made our day much better, including less waiting in line.

Also, the snow was so deep that usual hikes were not in play because post holing was exhausting. With skins, they would be no problem and they would have yielded some awesome skiing.

Long story short, from side country to skinning in bounds while resorts try to open lifts (not do avy control), I am finding more reasons to ski tech bindings on powder days if you don’t get big air. That being said, without these two caveats an alpine binding is the way to go.
    Last edited by hercule33; 02-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Maps.google.com
    Jesus, you live in a black and white world that is devoid of any thought that doesn't match what you already believe.

In my immediately (before work time frame) accessible area, the touring, and the ski resort start at low elevations. In bad years, and in early season, people who want to skin before work, can either start on man made snow and skin up the resort, or they can walk on dry ground through scrub oak for an hour or so to get to "skiable" snow.

But I guess they should just move?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I now have g3 ions and Salomon mtn bindings, and i never prereleased

I weigh 175 and the g3 is at 11, the mtn has the expert spring.
    How did you arrive at 11? Trial and error? Plus 1 increase each time? Or just cranked once? If you're not pre-releasing, are you releasing?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    devoid of any thought that doesn't match what you already believe.
    Hey now.

This is after-all a holier than thou for the love of god thread about people not doing something that works perfectly well for lots of people, situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Just finished up a day of skiing Heavenly on my Kingpins. The snow was very light and there was 3-6 feet of it. Heavenly took forever to open lifts and unofficially allows skinning inbounds. I was with my friend who didn’t have his backcountry gear but skinning would have made our day much better, including less waiting in line.

Also, the snow was so deep that usual hikes were not in play because post holing was exhausting. With skins, they would be no problem and they would have yielded some awesome skiing.

Long story short, from side country to skinning in bounds while resorts try to open lifts (not do avy control), I am finding more reasons to ski tech bindings on powder days if you you don’t get big air. That being said, without these two caveats an alpine binding is the way to go.
    All I have to say to this is, bite me.... You're stealing our snow....Give it back!! I wish this were our problem right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hey now.

This is after-all a holier than thou for the love of god thread about people not doing something that works perfectly well for lots of people, situations.
    Ha, my apologies and I stand corrected. Continue on with this fine discourse.

I’m confused, a business pays for grooming, snowmaking, avalanche control, clear parking lots plus the costs associated with it and I get it all for free because I can uphill?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    at brighton they simply ask that they park down the road at the general store
    but for some reason
    the spandex skimos bros like exercise
    but dont like inconvenience
    and cant oblige
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I’m confused, a business pays for grooming, snowmaking, avalanche control, clear parking lots plus the costs associated with it and I get it all for free because I can uphill?
    New thread worthy...
    Just say'in.