Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ultimate.
    He said "sport", not some leisure activity stoners do to pretend to be active..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I think it’s good for black and white stuff, but using it to give up soft penalties after five minutes of slow mo seems excessive to me. If it’s not a clearly blown call just play on.
    To me, It looked pretty clear that it was a penalty. I’m glad they took the time to get the call right. Hell of a save by the goalie!

ETA: I’m glad they took the time to review that English goal the was off side, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Personal opinion, 2nd England goal should have stood. I'd never overturn something that fucking close. I'd also have not assigned the PK either based on that replay. Perhaps that was a make up call.. Still shitty calls via replay when the replay's supposed to do the opposite.
    Again, I have to respectfully disagree. She was clearly off sides.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Please name a faster and more fluid sport. I'll wait. There are 2 answers I'll accept.

Back in 1994 it was a big deal that the World Cup was being brought to us commercial free. 90 minute games with a 20 minute halftime took 120 minutes to play out, almost every single time, unless it went into OT. No other televised US sport goes commercial free, but soccer does.

People in the US don't like soccer because they can't appreciate a midfield battle, they cannot accept the concept of a draw, and they sure as hell don't know what running for 90 minutes feels like.

Personally I can't stand American football or Basketball. Football is 7 seconds of action followed by 40 seconds of standing around and maybe a short lecture by the referee on what rule was broken that play resulting on a wholesale do over. At the end if you're winning, you can just take a knee and decide not to play anymore. Basketball turns into a free-throw shooting contest for the last hour (15 minutes of 'game' time) of play with 12 timeouts to discuss how the team is going to foul the other team and force another free throw. And god help you if the game is televised and you have to take commercial breaks in the middle of play as well. What shocked me was how much worse it is to watch the NFL in person, without the benefit of watching the replay run 2-3 times to fill the dead air.
    Very true. I am not debating that other sports are more fluid. Soccer is a beautiful game.....it’s just better when there isn’t stoppage because of VAR, complaining to referees, dives, injuries, etc.

Carry on.....see you Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Missing that offside was really shitty call. So obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Position when the pass was struck.. Right on the line. As soon as that ball is sent her direction she can be behind the defenders,even before the ball actually gets there.. This is not offsides.

He said "sport", not some leisure activity stoners do to pretend to be active..
    Fair enough.

What in the actual fuck are you talking about? It’s close, but it’s off side.
    Name:  IMG_1025.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  12.6 KB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It was offside.

Someone explain the offside rule to somejong.

Yeah, it's 100% offsides.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    What in the actual fuck are you talking about? It’s close, but it’s off side.
    Name:  IMG_1025.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  12.6 KB
    I was thinking the ball had just been redirected. I can't see that the England player is still actually touching it. I think that photo still is AFTER it is leaving her toe redirected. Prove she's still touching it or hasn't yet touched it.

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status...53474767253504

Position when the pass was struck.. Right on the line. As soon as that ball is sent her direction she can be behind the defenders,even before the ball actually gets there.. This is not offsides.
    SJ, have you ever played soccer...? First you made some dumb ass comment about the US defense not playing well... 3 goals scored against them the entire tournament..,

And offsides is not based on a blue or red line on tv... She was ahead of the defensive players before the ball was struck on the defensive half of the field....

Way to go ladies...! You came in as the best and playing the best...

fuori gioco
    And what does it matter now.

Must say Lucy Bronze, I had no idea who she was and how good she is. Now I do. She plays for Olympique Lyon. Don't know how yet but I'm going to try to watcher her play if I can.

Great determination this England team showed up and came to play. The USA was a machine. Very skilled and very balanced in their roles. Almost no weak parts of their game. Well coached and they have the depth. No Rapinoe and still they dominated as they should.

Those days of only a few or 5-6 players good players and the rest filling in a spot are over. Each player (both sides) were skilled. The US has better execution and add to that domination, they' were tough to beat. I applaud this game and the effect it has on the game. The ladies have arrived and it's only getting better. What we see today will be the norm in a decade or so with most teams. Love seeing top level woman in any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    SJ, have you ever played soccer...? First you made some dumb ass comment about the US defense not playing well... 3 goals scored against them the entire tournament..,

And offsides is not based on a blue or red line on tv... She was ahead of the defensive players before the ball was struck on the defensive half of the field....

Way to go ladies...! You came in as the best and playing the best...
    I played from age 10 on. Varsity in 9th grade. City champ rec team in 10th grade. Then started competing in USSA Freestyle. Bar league on Long Island in my 20s. Coached my kids' U6 though U15 teams. That replay's WAY too close to overturn the call on the field. Show me her clearly offsides before the pass is tipped. The angle of the photo is deceiving.

Pretty sure the PK awarded by replay was a make up call for overturning the goal called back on this replay.

Regardless, I think the US would have won anyway be it in extra periods or PKs. England was good but not better.

All goals are reviewed so doesn’t really matter what the call was on the field.

I played from age 10 on. Varsity in 9th grade. City champ rec team in 10th grade. Then started competing in USSA Freestyle. Bar league on Long Island in my 20s. Coached my kids' U6 though U15 teams. That replay's WAY too close to overturn the call on the field. Show me her clearly offsides before the pass is tipped. The angle of the photo is deceiving.

Pretty sure the PK awarded by replay was a make up call for overturning the goal called back on this replay.

Regardless, I think the US would have won anyway be it in extra periods or PKs. England was good but not better.
    A little tiny bit offsides is still offsides. How do you think people would react if the video showed what it showed and the ref said, well she's definitely offsides but only a little bit so we'll ignore the rule and allow the goal. It's not a judgment call.

I don't know why people keep talking about flow--the second half had none, and it wasn't because of VAR, just the constant mugging by both teams, but especially England, and especially against Morgan. I thought I was watching Blues/Bruins with the Blues strategy of knocking key Bruins out of the game. England managed to knock Lavelle out of the game with a jersey grab.
    And as far as delays go, the most ridiculous is making a substitution. The player being replaced walks ever so slowly off the field--sorry, I meant pitch--before the new player can run on, but not before mandatory hugs.

I like American football, but it is slow as fuck! I much prefer to dvr it and watch the whole thing in 45 minutes or whatever it takes to fast forward thru shit. Soccer is tactical and always in motion for the most part.

In fact, according to a 2010 Wall Street Journal study of four football broadcasts, the ball was only in play for an average of 10 minutes and 43 seconds — approximately 4 seconds per play — even though an NFL telecast lasts about three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Please name a faster and more fluid sport. I'll wait. There are 2 answers I'll accept.
    Hockey or Lacrosse?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A little tiny bit offsides is still offsides. How do you think people would react if the video showed what it showed and the ref said, well she's definitely offsides but only a little bit so we'll ignore the rule and allow the goal. It's not a judgment call..
    The point is that the ref, more importantly, the line judge did NOT say offsides/raise the flag at all. And, the line judge had the best view of when the ball left the foot on the deflection while she was breaking to the clear. I'm still not convinced that video or the still photo is 100% definitive proof of offsides. We can't tell if there is any space between the foot and the ball in the photo. If there is space, pass had already occurred and not offsides. Certainly raises reasonable doubt, but not enough to me to overturn. Nobody else agrees here and that's fine. Thoughts on the PK? Was that anywhere near as bad as some handballs and other fouls that DON'T get awarded PKs after review? I still think it was a make up call so one very critical close but not quite call on the field got overturned for each team. It evened out in the end and the US was definitely the better team on the pitch yesterday. On to the final.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Hockey or Lacrosse?
    That would be my guess.

Hey somejong, things change.
    Anybody else see the Wikipedia pages for Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan and Alyssa Naeher? (President of the US, Queen of England, and Secretary of Defense.) Pretty funny stuff.

Lacrosse can be pretty slow...really slow. Did they implement a shot clock?

the line judge
    The what?

For someone with such an extensive football resume it's pretty stunning that you don't know anything about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Hockey or Lacrosse?
    Rugby League.