Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Westworld

Anybody else watch the premier this past Sunday?

Looks like it has some potential to me.

Still too early to say where the story is heading but there seems to be plenty of action..

Robots become self aware as their creator wants then kill all the humans. I'm waiting for the orgy scenes I've heard about.

IIRC, Yul Brynner was badass, James Brolin was a pussy who became Mr. Barbara Streisand.
    The Sheriff is near!

Loved that movie when I was a kid, watched it about 5 years ago and still enjoyed it

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Wow, I was pretty out of the loop here apparently. haha

I never heard of the original. Awesome!

I enjoyed the HBO debut. I will be tuning in for more. Cool concept. Great cast.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Ha! Clueless millennials!

I think the show will be rad. I'm most disturbed by the increased tourist load it will place on Moab. Fuck! Gonna be some pudgy, pasty nerds dying in the desert next year.
    The Sheriff Bot went into melt down on the Kokopelli road - it is fun seeing so many familiar spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    the orgy scenes I've heard about.
    Wasn't there a thread somewhere about a pretty intense waiver you had to sign if you were in the...group sex scenes...
    "Can't you see..."

Loved it!
    Can wait for more episodes!!

I hope they spend more time on the man in black character (Ed Harris). He is the most intriguing person in the show. He seems to know something sinister is going on and plans on finding the source. As this is a JJ Abrams & Nolan production, there will be plenty of mystery and misdirection in order to drag this out for 5-6 years.

Premier was awesome, second episode left me craving a little more story development instead of just jumping around so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    Premier was awesome, second episode left me craving a little more story development instead of just jumping around so much.
    agreed

Great article on what this really is.

http://kotaku.com/the-video-game-hor...rld-1787629173

We got our first videogame console of any kind in 2012. I have been dead-set against them wish I toed the line to the finish, but it got exhausting fighting the wife on it as well. Her reasoning is that our kids' friends were shunning our house because of no games.

Of three sons, one is totally immune, absolutely never plays video games. One is endlessy addicted and one is sorta take it or leave it.

Irony of Ironies, the most addicted is the best athelete.
    "Can't you see..."

I hope they spend more time on the man in black character (Ed Harris). He is the most intriguing person in the show. He seems to know something sinister is going on and plans on finding the source. As this is a JJ Abrams & Nolan production, there will be plenty of mystery and misdirection in order to drag this out for 5-6 years.
    He's been coming for 30 years....last time a guest got hurt was 30 years ago....my guess at this stage is he's out for revenge for whatever happened in that incident.

That's a much better track record than Jurassic Park/World

Ford obviously is messing with the storylines in the background, perhaps Bernard is as well since he meets with Dolores on a nightly basis. I found events in last night's episode confusing.
    Dolores stood at her dresser and pulled a gun out of it, then an instant later it's not there. (I was wondering how she could have "hid" a weapon from the story creators in the first place)
    After shooting her attacker in the barn, she then gets shot running to the house, but an instant later the wound is gone. (Was she really shot? Do the magic bullets recognize her as human now?)

Ford obviously is messing with the storylines in the background, perhaps Bernard is as well since he meets with Dolores on a nightly basis. I found events in last night's episode confusing.
    Dolores stood at her dresser and pulled a gun out of it, then an instant later it's not there. (I was wondering how she could have "hid" a weapon from the story creators in the first place)
    After shooting her attacker in the barn, she then gets shot running to the house, but an instant later the wound is gone. (Was she really shot? Do the magic bullets recognize her as human now?)
    I read Dolores getting shot as her glitching out and remembering the prior times she had been shot like that. Then she snaps back from her reverie to see the shooter coming after her and runs.

For me, the existence of a resort full of human simulacrums begs a larger question: to what ends is this technology being used outside the park? If the park has been around for 30 years then by that point the bioandroid technology should be readily available worldwide. Why would it be limited to Westworld? And exactly what kind of world is it? There is a bewildering lack of a larger context between the park and the outside world. Anyone else notice this? Why haven't the guests encountered bioandroids outside Westworld? The resort has been around for a long time yet we are seeing the arriving guests going all, golly gee, this is so amazing!! How has this technology been monopolized and secluded in a fantasy park for billionaires? Why? For decades! Wouldn't a billionaire have a few android servants back at the mansion? Did I miss an explanation for this? Hate to say it, but the more interesting story might be the one outside the park. Good science fiction provides context to its setting and this show is still blatantly lacking in that department.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-17-2016 at 09:47 AM.

I suspect future episodes will dig into the away from the park question. Or, maybe the super rich simply got congress to limit android licenses to the park operators. got to eliminate competition, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The show is starting to reach the critical point where the plot needs to get moving. For my attention span at least. I feel like the audience is almost in the same place as we were after the 1st episode, minus a few subtle nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    For me, the existence of a resort full of human simulacrums begs a larger question: to what ends is this technology being used outside the park? If the park has been around for 30 years then by that point the bioandroid technology should be readily available worldwide. Why would it be limited to Westworld? And exactly what kind of world is it? There is a bewildering lack of a larger context between the park and the outside world. Anyone else notice this? Why haven't the guests encountered bioandroids outside Westworld? The resort has been around for a long time yet we are seeing the arriving guests going all, golly gee, this is so amazing!! How has this technology been monopolized and secluded in a fantasy park for billionaires? Why? For decades! Wouldn't a billionaire have a few android servants back at the mansion? Did I miss an explanation for this? Hate to say it, but the more interesting story might be the one outside the park. Good science fiction provides context to its setting and this show is still blatantly lacking in that department.
    I think they started to set this up with the snippet of the park's backstory we got from Anthony Hopkins: they did the r and d in-house and they charge 40 grand per person per day. They may keep it a closely-guarded trade secret or they may be protected by patents. In that scenario, there are probably crappy knockoffs available outside the park and they just don't seem nearly as real. But I hadn't given this much thought before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I read Dolores getting shot as her glitching out and remembering the prior times she had been shot like that. Then she snaps back from her reverie to see the shooter coming after her and runs.
    That was my take: Dolores "remembered" the program and that she got shot by the same guy who was approaching, and rode off before it could happen to her "again"

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    The show is starting to reach the critical point where the plot needs to get moving. For my attention span at least. I feel like the audience is almost in the same place as we were after the 1st episode, minus a few subtle nuances.
    I see a lot of parallels to Blade Runner. For example, Bernard may be like Deckard. Is he human? Or, is he an android working on the "human" side?

If Bernard were human, then why does Ford (Hopkins) bother to sternly "train" his programming by relating that the androids can't feel, etc.? Is it really because of "Arnold," who got too close to the hosts? Or is Arnold a construct to allow Ford an alter ego when speaking with his creations?

If Arnold was real, where is he? Dead? Killed by hosts? In the maze? Surely, we can't totally believe Ford.