Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Great Lakes

I'd rather swim in water that ISN'T piss warm, but I grew up on/near Superior. You don't see lots of waterskiers/wakeboarders on Superior, that's for sure... That picture of Lake James, however, does not look like fun. Is that clusterfuck seriously your idea of a good day out on the water? Different strokes, I guess....
    focus.

Fanger Lakes. Relatively unpopulated...compared to other beautiful and fun lakes. Great fishing and 70 degree water in the summer. I live on Canandaigua Lake and love it. Keuka is my favorite.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Check out Rainy Lake with 930 mi of shore line, 1,570 mi w/ Islands. July and August for the warmer water. Bring your GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I'd rather swim in water that ISN'T piss warm
    Definitely. For one thing you don't have to worry about this:
    http://news.discovery.com/human/brai...ba-110818.html

I think water should be refreshing. 70 feels good if you're swimming or doing something active. Yeah, it's a little cold if you're just standing around drinking a beer, but it's great for swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by powderripper View Post
    Check out Rainy Lake with 930 mi of shore line, 1,570 mi w/ Islands. July and August for the warmer water. Bring your GPS.
    I agree with Rainy. My favorite place in the world. Rent a houseboat and park somewhere in Voyagers Nat. Park and use as a base.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Cool picture of Lake James. Spring fed lakes are normally pretty cold. Is James?
    77 last weekend, I think we hit 80 once this summer.

That picture of Lake James, however, does not look like fun. Is that clusterfuck seriously your idea of a good day out on the water? Different strokes, I guess....
    By then we've already foot,slalomed, wakeboard/skated, airchaired and surfed. I never went out to the sandbar when my kids were little. But now that they are college aged, I go out with them and have even done a couple of keg stands.

If anyone's ever driving by I-80/I-69 on a weekend, I'd be happy to give a tow!

My favorite Lake bar.

Chautauqua in NY,

Norris Lake in TN,

Lake Cumberland in KY,

Lake of the Ozarks in MO,

Torch Lake in MI
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    So whats the deal here, why you being a sally about the temperature? What's your plan?
    Live in a city and love it, but also miss the water. Entertaining the idea of lake life once more.

I'd rather swim in water that ISN'T piss warm, but I grew up on/near Superior. You don't see lots of waterskiers/wakeboarders on Superior, that's for sure... That picture of Lake James, however, does not look like fun. Is that clusterfuck seriously your idea of a good day out on the water? Different strokes, I guess....
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Definitely. For one thing you don't have to worry about this:
    http://news.discovery.com/human/brai...ba-110818.html

I think water should be refreshing. 70 feels good if you're swimming or doing something active. Yeah, it's a little cold if you're just standing around drinking a beer, but it's great for swimming.
    What people grow accustomed to probably plays a big role, but I've always been around warm (to me) water. Just about everything I do in the water involves getting wet before standing up to face the wind. Besides, I like being able to piss in the water and not tell the difference.

Partying on a sandbar isn't something I want to do every weekend, but to have the option is nice. There are definitely days when a boat ride over to hang out with friends, drink beer, and float in the water are top priority.

Lots of recommendations for the Fingers. Might have to check out the smaller lakes.
    Last edited by Mazderati; 01-12-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What people grow accustomed to probably plays a big role, but I've always been around warm (to me) water. Just about everything I do in the water involves getting wet before standing up to face the wind.
    Dunno where you're located, but now that I know you own a jetski, you should check out Lake Charlevoix or Lake Leelanau in the Northern Lower Peninsula of MI.

Both are pretty large and fairly warm in the summer and as an added bonus, they both drain to Lake Michigan. When the swells are high, throw on a wetsuit, head out the channel and catch some serious air.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Didn't hit many criteria in the original post but this may be it. Water is probably 12 ft. in the center of the first picture; emerald color.

Last edited by Mazderati; 01-12-2015 at 10:28 PM.

The water is clearer and bluer in Lake Chelan, you can see the bottom like in that first pic when it's 50' deep.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    The water is clearer and bluer in Lake Chelan, you can see the bottom like in that first pic when it's 50' deep.
    I've spent more than 30 years visiting Lake Chelan a handful of times per year. I never get tired if it, and the clarity of the water is only the beginning...

Clarity? You want Higgins Lake in Mi. Or pretty much anything at the tip of the pinky of the mitten.
    I still call it The Jake.

Minnetonka hits all your criteria but the clean part. On the plus side you can tie up with us on any given nice summer day. Plenty of attractions, great bays for skiing/boarding, and we do host the US Wake Surf Championship each July.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    I've spent more than 30 years visiting Lake Chelan a handful of times per year. I never get tired if it, and the clarity of the water is only the beginning...
    One of WA's treasures and it seems little known outside the region. Kinda like a cross between Tahoe and Lake Como in Italy.

Great Lakes

Grew up going to Shasta, Don Pedro, and Lake Mead...never made it to Havasu.

Been to quite a few more, but those are my top 3. I'd only vote for Mead for partying, though.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

My lake is pretty nice.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com