Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Cast Iron Skillet

Finally got around to getting one (preseasoned). Used it tonight and made the best steak I have ever made in my life on the first try. Good lord why did I wait so friggin' long!

It won't truly be seasoned for another 20 years, sensei.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Way to take over the reigns from Larry

I have owned mine for over 15 years, and anticipate having both for the rest of my life.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Don't wash it. Rinse, wipe & oil. Things will get better.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

The only oil I had was EVOO and Avacado oil so I used EVOO. Is ok? DIdn;t use soap, I used warm water and a new scrubbie lightly washing it down.

Olive oil is fine. Some say to use peanut oil for a while for the high smoke temperature.

Seer in the pan and finish in the oven. Works great for chicken legs, pork tenderloin, steak etc.

I do 90% of my frying in a cast iron pan. Planning on getting a second one with grills in the bottom.

Oil depends a bit on what you are cooking and at what temp - but IMO the best seasoning oil is bacon fat. Best way to wash it out if food burns into the coating is to boil some salted water for about 5min - the crud will then wipe right off.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    Olive oil is fine. Some say to use peanut oil for a while for the high smoke temperature.

Seer in the pan and finish in the oven. Works great for chicken legs, pork tenderloin, steak etc.

I do 90% of my frying in a cast iron pan. Planning on getting a second one with grills in the bottom.
    That's what I did. Heated the pan in the oven to 450. Seared each side on the burner for 2 minutes and stuck back in the over for 5. Let sit for 5 before consuming. Made a little red wine reduction while it sat under foil. Sooooo good!

[QUOTE=BCMountainHound;3170755but IMO the best seasoning oil is bacon fat.[/QUOTE]

Step 1: Cook bacon in cast iron
    Step 2: Cook potatoes in bacon fat in cast iron
    Step 3: Cook eggs in the remaining fat.
    Step 4: Enjoy...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Step 1: Cook bacon in cast iron
    Step 2: Cook potatoes in bacon fat in cast iron
    Step 3: Cook eggs in the remaining fat.
    Step 4: Enjoy...
    my favorite breakfast... Had this, this morning in fact.

I made a frittata the other morning that was amazing. Browned onions, mushrooms and red peppers in the pan. Added 6 eggs with bit of milk. Cooked about half way through then grated some parmesan on top and stuck it under the broiler to finish. Some bacon in there would have been good but that goes without saying.

I'm the third generation to use my cast iron skillet. It was my grandmother's older sister's. She was born in 1901 and I believe she may have gotten it new as a wedding present but I don't really know for sure when she acquired it. When she died back in the 80's my grandmother gave it to my mom. Then it was my mom's for about 20 years. It's been in my possession for almost a decade now. It's about 5" deep and around 10" at the narrow part of the bottom. It's automatic. I just have to show up and it does the rest. Hopefully I'll be able to pass it on to one of my children.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Our cast-iron skillet belonged to my wife's grandparents. Grandma's been dead a long time, Grandpa died about 10 years ago at 96. No idea how old the thing is (50-75 yrs.?) but it's going strong

Cast iron is the way to go. Cooking bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with chorizo and goat cheese as I type.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Cooking bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with chorizo and goat cheese as I type.
    who's the dude?

My Mom uses one that was my great grandmothers from my Dad's side. Old prairie woman, boater, sod houser. Had this big ass old stove that she preferred to toss frozen cow turds into in the winter and make lefse on the top. Lefse is like a Norwegian potato tortilla. She had a bun on her head the size of three tennis balls, saw her with that long white stuff down on day and about passed out. Listened to Twins Baseball with Herb on the am everyday. Tough old prairie broad, lived to 96. Almost to the month her daughter (my grandma) made it to.

Anyway, my Mom will roll out of the rack and make me and my hooligan hammered friends breaky any time of night/daybreak in that thing. Throw a couple lbs of farmer bacon in there followed by some farm eggs in that oil, eesh. My wife is always after me to try and make eggs like that. Like the hamburger gravy she makes in that thing, I don't come close.

I hit about 3 garage sales a year and it is funny to see one there. I think about yelling to people do you know that you can use a fricken channel lock in these and not scratch the "no stick coating".

Those ribbed for your pleasure ones are the suck. Holy shit I hated mine. Think it is in the dog kennel as a threat.

Yeah- screw the oil- just cook bacon on it.

I keep a cast griddle out on my grill- I just cook some salt pork on it when it gets a little rust on it.

LMAO @ Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    LMAO @ Hugh.
    That was a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    who's the dude?
    hehe...nice

and in times of need ...
    its a great weapon ...
    did I say that out loud ???
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I've been begging my mom to let me have some of her cast iron pans. She has a ton of them, and they just sit in a box in their garage, but won't give me any cuz they're "antiques." Pretty sure I couldn't break them if I tried, but thankfully my girlfriend's parents gave me a nice skillet for christmas. I use it several times a week, and like Gameface, have been making the best steak I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Just made a frittata in the skillet. 2 thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Just go snag one of those pans, that ain't right. Those things were meant to cook with, not sit in a garage and rust. I doubt she has them counted, anyway, and I doubt she ever looks in the box. So, liberate one every three months or so. If you intend to take care of them and use them, then it's the only conscionable thing to do.