Subaru outback wheel moulding kit + mud flap question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171202-234916~2.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	370.5 KB 
ID:	217873

I'm thinking of adding the wheel molding kit and mud flaps.
    Can the they become a rust magnetic. Worried about salt finding it's way into some of the space between the plastic and the paint. I'm not that concerned about the mud flap as much but the wheel molding.
    Anyone have good bad experience with them?
    Cheers

Get the Rally Armor mud flaps. The urethane sheds mud and snow better than molded plastic, and you don't have to worry about salt.

If you are set on getting something with wheel molding though the fitment shouldn't be too tight since it's not mounted to the fender on the outside. Gunk will for sure build up inside there, but it should be pretty easy to rinse out (I haven't dealt with that particular setup though).

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    Get the Rally Armor mud flaps. The urethane sheds mud and snow better than molded plastic, and you don't have to worry about salt.

If you are set on getting something with wheel molding though the fitment shouldn't be too tight since it's not mounted to the fender on the outside. Gunk will for sure build up inside there, but it should be pretty easy to rinse out (I haven't dealt with that particular setup though).
    I have looked into the Rally Armor and will consider them instead.
    Btw thanks

If you're actually in Ontario... you're hosed. Shit's gonna rust no matter what.

The wheel-arch moulding + mud flaps were included with one of the other packages we wanted (all weather, maybe?), but I wouldn't have gotten them specifically. The only major issue I've heard about them is people often need to remove to run a 245/65R17 tire. But I'm running a 235/65R17 so no issues there. The included mud flaps don't really do anything, IME. If you want real mud flaps, I think there are better options, as someone mentioned above, but I don't have any direct experience.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-04-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If you're actually in Ontario... you're hosed. Shit's gonna rust no matter what.
    How true unless you stay very vigilant
    Biggest mistake I've done was to park a snow covered car in a warm garage for several years. All that salt locked in the snow melted and did damage.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    They don't really do anything, IME. The only major issue I've heard about them is people often need to remove to run a 245/65R17 tire. They were included with one of the other packages we wanted (all weather, maybe?), but I wouldn't have gotten them specifically. As mentioned, there are better options for mud flaps, if you want them.
    Sure do. Options would be great.
    I had read about the 245/65R17 issue. Glad you could validate that.
    Thinking of 1st installing the wheel moulding then figure the flaps but as Skaredshtles pointed out salt is a big factor.
    Maybe it'll only be flaps. I could plasti dip where the moulding would have fit to protect against dings. Not sure now.

FWIW. If you have to drill and screw anywhere to install the guards you might want to put a dab of silicone on the screw to seal any bare metal. After 3 years in upstate NY my 1980 Caprice Classic started to rust out where the dealer used a razor knife to trim the "Accent Stripe" upsell that I paid $59 for.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    FWIW. If you have to drill and screw anywhere to install the guards you might want to put a dab of silicone on the screw to seal any bare metal. After 3 years in upstate NY my 1980 Caprice Classic started to rust out where the dealer used a razor knife to trim the "Accent Stripe" upsell that I paid $59 for.
    Thanks for that. I never liked that idea of having to drill into metal. That will be a factor in what I end up doing.
    I spoke to the service guy at Subaru and he said no metal needs to be drilled but that was for the moulding.

Btw I had a 73 Caprice Classic that could fit about 10 people not including the trunk

Yeah. I was shopping for a trunk when I bought it. I went through a couple.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Sure do. Options would be great.
    Poorly worded on my part—should have said, "If you want mud flaps, I think there are better options, as someone mentioned above, but I don't have any direct experience."

I've seen some Subie's with real mud flaps and those would probably work better. But if you want the wheel moulding for wear/salt reasons, I'd get the package and see if you can remove the useless mud flap and install a real mud flap.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Poorly worded on my part—should have said, "If you want mud flaps, I think there are better options, as someone mentioned above, but I don't have any direct experience."

I've seen some Subie's with real mud flaps and those would probably work better. But if you want the wheel moulding for wear/salt reasons, I'd get the package and see if you can remove the useless mud flap and install a real mud flap.

After visiting the dealership today the salesman was honest enough to tell me not to get their flaps. He suggested the rally sport.
    Even though salt is a concern the mouldings are ordered and will be installed next wednesday. I'll decide afterwards on the flap but for now the rally armour is the most likely option.

Thanks to all that helped.
    Cheers