Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cordless tool ecosystem?

I need a drill, circular saw and trimmer. Maybe a chainsaw, blower, impact driver, etc. Buying one at a time seems easy but it's a big commitment to have compatibility. Is Makita cordless the way to go?

If you can, wait until the black friday sales and pickup a big pack of tools.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Yeah, the combo packs are a way to save money but it can be hard to find a pack that includes everything you want and nothing you don't. And if you end up with stuff you don't want or use is it really saving any money? This is the internal dialogue I have while standing in the aisle squeezing triggers and pushing buttons.

Home depot has been running some deals

Makita is lightweight homeowner grade.

Amazon for the deals on DeWalt. 20v Max. Stuffs bomber. You have to shop smart. Some tools come with batteries for barely more than the battery. Some tools are best bought without battery. Example: rotary hammer without battery and then buy blower with battery. Pretty much got yourself a blower for free.

I did read a thread recently that harbor freight is selling an off brand cordless that is actually quality. Might be worth checking out. I know harbor freight is garbage and I've never bought any of their tools, but this thread was pretty convincing. Hercules. Supposedly built in same factory as DeWalt.

Batteries are the expensive part.

I tried Makita a couple years ago.... fucking garbage, IMO. Switched to dewalt 20v, never looked back.
    focus.

Check out CPO & their Reconditioned tool section for lots of options. If you keep an eye on the reconditioned tools and wait for specific tools and brands, you can save a bunch. I've been using the heck out of my Milwaukee cordless drill and driver combo.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I run Milwaukee 12v and 18v and have been very happy with them.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 11-13-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Picked up some Milwaukee 12v stuff recently and have been relatively happy with it. Power is reduced compared to my 18v dewalt stuff but battery life is great and the lighter weight is a bonus.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'm a huge Milwaukee fan. 12v line is fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a lot of Makita which works well for my farm use when putting up/fixing fences and pasture shelters. Be sure and pick up extra battery packs so you can always have one charging. Drills seem to be the best with regard to cordless tools, saws not-so-much.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

As a local contractor, I have become a solid believer in the Milwaukee M18 series of tools. Loads of power and their batteries can last an absurdly long time. I've done multiple low-volt rough-ins that took an entire day of boring out large holes through gluelams and joists, and at the end of the day I'd still have half a charge. I'd always pack up being like "WTF? That can't possibly be right." That said, the cordless shop vac (which is another awesome piece) chews through those batteries way quicker than the drills ever do. I've also drilled into a ton of reinforced steel and stone and these things just have power for days.

I've become a fanboy for sure. Just grab deals on batteries whenever you see them. They're normally super pricey, but OCCASIONALLY, I'd see them for like $50 a piece on super sales and grab a few of them.

Pro Tip: No matter what brand you buy, get them from your local tool supply shop. Preferably the authorized service center for the brand. There IS a difference between the Milwaukees/Makitas/DeWalts you find at Home Depot/Lowes vs the models at the supply stores the contractor's buy their stuff from. HD/Lowes typically strongarm the manufacturers into lowering prices so they can squeeze out SOME sort of a margin, and as a result the product quality suffers. It's usually small internal parts that you won't even see. I'm talking the difference between using nylon parts versus steel. They'll certainly cost more, but the tools will last you a lifetime versus a few years. I had a DeWalt drill that burned up after not long of light house duties. Took it into my local service shop and they said they couldn't touch it since it was a Lowes SKU. Different parts, different warranty, and wasn't really even serviceable. Learned my lesson.

Regarding batteries. Batteries Plus is an option, too.

It's been a while, but there was a company that rebuilt battery packs (and increased capacity in some cases) for half the price.

Festool and Dewalt are the only local options from the builder supply stores here, so online provides more choice. YMMV

Is there a clear SKU indicator from Home Depot and Lowes to tell if a tool is from them? There have been several on Craigslist lately and in a pinch may be an option for some.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

What Austin said. Each brand makes cheap weekend homeowner shit and also higher quality commercial grade tools. My Dewalt 20V drill from Lowes had a slight bearing wobble out of the box and burnt out in a few months. Lowes gave me a full refund. Then I bought an 18V Makita brushless from a tool supply house and it has been smooth and bomber for 5 years of hard use, mostly metalworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Is there a clear SKU indicator from Home Depot and Lowes to tell if a tool is from them? There have been several on Craigslist lately and in a pinch may be an option for some.
    Unfortunately not always. I believe the service center/manufacturer can tell the difference based on the serial number.

3rd vote for milwaukee. Have had dewalt/makita/bosch/porter-cable/ryobi (nice mechanical scissors) and a few asian throwaways.

If you're looking for longevity and good trigger sensitivity, go brushless.

The milwaukee's have a nice balance and a convenient LED light pointed at the work when you pull the trigger.
    ​I am not in your hurry

All our field crews now use Milwaukee hammer drills after breaking piles of Dewalt (Black and Decker? Dick and Blacker?) hammer drills. That being said my 14.4v Dewalt impact driver is still kicking after 5 years of casual abuse, I probably wouldn't buy it again though.

Another vote for Milwaukee (it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land") M18. They have been bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Yeah, the combo packs are a way to save money but it can be hard to find a pack that includes everything you want and nothing you don't. And if you end up with stuff you don't want or use is it really saving any money? This is the internal dialogue I have while standing in the aisle squeezing triggers and pushing buttons.
    True, but is there such a thing as a tool you don't want? If so, turn in your man card now.

The above is especially relevant to power tools.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I like my Makita 18v brushless drill and driver. Pieced together on eBay for about the price of the lower end kits. I’m not sold on the cordless saws, etc. But I could see a cordless sawzall being convenient for light use or bringing along in the truck.

I bought my Makita 18V brushless drill and impact driver on the suggestion of tool supply shop, which said that Makita brushless had fewer returns/problems than other brands. YMMV

Lol on people hating on Makita.

AvE who has the most zero bullshit tool tear downs (actual tear downs) and reviews https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil almost has yet to dislike any of his Makita stuff and I've never had problem with mine over 25+ years. He's got some words about 'Milfuckyee' though.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I have this weird sense of pride that neither the drill/driver I purchased since last year is "not disliked" by AvE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7XO5H_6HY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZUbbu6J19E

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Yeah, makes ya wonder where they sourced their tools. Out in the field, loads of contractors I've talked to swear by Makita, mainly carpenters. Same goes for any brand. Then you have people who loathe those same brands. If I bought my faux Dewalt (re: Black & Decker) from Walmart, I'd probably be cursing the brand. If I bought the nice pro level 20V version from the tool supply, I'd probably like the brand.

For the most part, I've heard great things about Makita. I'm pretty invested in Milwaukee batteries, though, so I probably won't be jumping brands any time soon. See how they do that with their proprietary batteries? Sucks. Sometimes brand A does certain tools better than brand B, but it's tough to get into another line.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post

AvE who has the most zero bullshit tool tear downs (actual tear downs) and reviews https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil almost has yet to dislike any of his Makita stuff and I've never had problem with mine over 25+ years. He's got some words about 'Milfuckyee' though.
    Yeah, "Makita" has that, ya know, "made in Japan" ring to it. And Milwaukee tools are red!