Page 233 of 237 FirstFirst ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 5919
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    NEIPAs usually require a liquid yeast pitch that cannot be reused multiple times because of dry hopping during fermentation (there can be ways around this but it isn't easy).
    I haven't heard this before, what's the reason? I thought breweries reuse their yeast in liquid form for some number of generations typically.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I haven't heard this before, what's the reason? I thought breweries reuse their yeast in liquid form for some number of generations typically.
    Dry hopping during fermentation mixes hops in with the beer/yeast, and it is difficult to separate the two afterwards. Like I said, there are ways around it, but everything is a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yeah I get it, trolling like Bunny. Obstinate trolling, all the rage.
    "I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I'm going to take all this time to convince you that hazys don't taste like shit"

Sometimes people troll themselves. I wouldn't call this obstinate trolling because despite the process, I don't like the end product and wish the haze craze would fade. Which really has your panties in a bunch.

And yes hazys are genuinely easier to brew than a typical IPA because hazys allow you to hide imperfections more easily. "That's just the haze bro" plus they skip the last step.

Keep banging that drum lol

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    "I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I'm going to take all this time to convince you that hazys don't taste like shit"

Sometimes people troll themselves. I wouldn't call this obstinate trolling because despite the process, I don't like the end product and wish the haze craze would fade.

Keep banging that drum lol
    I haven't said a word about taste. I've even admitted that they aren't my favorite to drink either. I also don't like wheat beers, sour beers, or barrel aged beers, but I could care less about how popular they are.

It is obstinate because you continue to beat the same drum of your uninformed opinion for reasoning that hazy IPAs are substandard and brewed by people who don't know what they are doing, just trying to make a quick buck, despite being given evidence to the contrary. I'm not just responding to you, it is everyone that I've heard say the same stupid shit that you keep saying.

If you don't like them, don't drink them, like I've said in almost every post. Just don't act like you are some cool contrarian beer snob guy who doesn't like something because you actually have any kind of knowledge on the subject. Just tell people you think they are yucky and get on with you life.

some damn good IPA's out there

I have brewers the we work with that are outstanding national guys who hate the haze craze not because it’s bad beer, but because it’s so challenging to do well that it costs them a fortune in labor and ingredients to make a good one.

So you have the national guys sorting out ways to make hazys that fit their manufacturing requirements (think stuff like Mind Haze by SN) that I swear they know aren’t awesome, but they are passable and well made and they can sell em.

Meanwhile the good stuff is still a labor of love: Tree House, Other Half, Outer Range, Vitamin Sea and many others, mostly on the smaller side, can produce incredible hazys with depth and complexity.

Just like Russian River and Avery can produce incredible stouts and clear IPAs.

Before you decide if you like or hate a style find the very best examples and try them. Don’t base it on the crappy ones.

And if you don’t like em why stress about it? After years and years of working with the industry (and having that peer pressure) and really trying to accept all the styles, I finally admitted I just don’t like Belgian style beers. Or sours. No worries, I drink something else.

There are still far far fewer hazy IPAs on the shelves than clear ones.

Very nice one i had yesterday. 7.1%, amarillo, citra, mosaic, simcoe hops. Smoothest IPA I've had in quite a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	406215

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    There are still far far fewer hazy IPAs on the shelves than clear ones.
    That hasn't been my experience lately.

I prefer clear NW style IPAs, but I've had some good hazies. I think the problem is everyone started trying to brew hazies a couple years ago and it takes some skill, so the result was lots of mediocre ones.

8.99 for a six pack of Squatters double as the regular price at my store. Holy shit they sell it for 7.49 on sale. That’s less than bud lol. 9%. Pretty good beer. Cheap trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Smells like pot. Like a lot, tastes like it too. Pretty decent. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220216_223805.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	406309

Cheers to a long weekend…Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1645231722.255438.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	406539

Right back atcha, DDH Alien Church style. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4919.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	406545

Smells like pot. Like a lot, tastes like it too. Pretty decent. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220216_223805.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	406309
    I tried that at their brewery 2 weeks ago near Seabeck. Smells amazing. I couldn’t drink more than a pint of it though. But sure enjoy med that one.

There’s a great dispensary right around the corner from the brewery. Love those infused terps joints they have and may have tasted so good from that beer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I tried that at their brewery 2 weeks ago near Seabeck. Smells amazing. I couldn’t drink more than a pint of it though. But sure enjoy med that one.

There’s a great dispensary right around the corner from the brewery. Love those infused terps joints they have and may have tasted so good from that beer too.
    You're allowed to shoot up a flare you know, either for drinking or skiing.
    I'm still impressed by how much that beer smells like a grinder.

You're allowed to shoot up a flare you know, either for drinking or skiing.
    I'm still impressed by how much that beer smells like a grinder.
    Yep bonehead move, will try not to make that mistake again. Was just there for a few days. Buddy just moved from PC, having his first kid in a month and needed a friend.

There were a few IPAs there I tried. All of them were very tasty. I’d love to see their brew process to make that weed beer.

Will be back in July. Gotta bring my daughter up to scout out UDub campus and the like. One more year home then off to college.

Deciduous Brewing in Newmaket, NH makes killer kettle Sours but their IPA’s don’t usually do it for me.

This one, By Myself, is damn good.

Name:	Image1645307923.990650.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	406607
    Last edited by MaineSkiAddict1; 02-20-2022 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Deciduous Brewing in Newington, NH makes killer kettle Sours but their IPA’s don’t usually do it for me.

This one, By Myself, is damn good.

Name:	Image1645307923.990650.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	406607
    Deciduous is in Newmarket. Stoneface is in Newington. Not that it matters...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Yep bonehead move, will try not to make that mistake again. Was just there for a few days. Buddy just moved from PC, having his first kid in a month and needed a friend.

There were a few IPAs there I tried. All of them were very tasty. I’d love to see their brew process to make that weed beer.

Will be back in July. Gotta bring my daughter up to scout out UDub campus and the like. One more year home then off to college.
    I'm a 20 minute walk from campus with paddle boards and kayaks if you want to get out on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Deciduous is in Newmarket. Stoneface is in Newington. Not that it matters...just sayin
    My bad. You’re right. Fixed.

Big fan of clear beer. Big fan of hazy beer. Not as big a fan of clear hoppy beer or what most people think of as NEIPA.

The breweries that started the “haze craze” were not trying to make hazy beer, they were trying to make better IPA, it just happened to be hazy. Sadly it snowballed so out of control that now we have a bunch of gross, thick, IPAs that smell like rotting fruit, lack any sort of bitterness, and all taste/smell the same.

Filtering the beer reduces hop impact, plane and simple. It strips aroma and flavor compounds. Sadly many craft Brewers saw it as a sign of being “professional” if you could make perfectly clear beer, cause that’s what the big guys did. Generally clarity doesn’t require filtering but in the case of heavily dry hopped beers a filter or large doses of fining agents are usually required to make the beer clear. Yes clarity does help shelf stability.

Oxygen is the enemy of all beer. It is measured in ppb in packaged beer. Hops are the first thing to be impacted by oxygen. Heat speeds up the reaction. A perfectly packaged hoppy beer will start to go down hill 4 days at room temp. That same beer if kept cold would go 60 days before starting to degrade. There’s a lot of people in the world that think IPA is supposed to taste like oxidized IPA cause that’s all they know. Outside of Sierra Nevada almost every hoppy beer you buy warm at the UT liquor store tastes/smells nothing like what it did when the brewery released it.

Most modern hops are high in polyphenols. Polyphenols cause haze. Australian and NZ varieties are the highest but Citra, Mosaic and plenty of the latest American varieties are relatively high in polyphenols as well. Old school varieties like Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, etc aren’t as high in polyphenols (generally). The more hops you add to a dry hop the more likely you are to get haze. Pliny (everyone’s favorite double IPA) is dry hopped at a rate of 2#/bbl. Most popular IPA breweries nowadays are dry hopping at almost 3 times that amount for their double IPAs. Monkish is 8-9#/bbl DH for a lot of their double IPAs.

You don’t need wheat or oats for haze. Haze should never be caused by yeast. If it is the beer will almost always go clear.

If done right a hazy beer will have more hop flavor and aroma. Sadly so many are done poorly often times a clear hoppy beer is a safer bet.

I cant believe i poured a beer out of its cozy can just for you fucks, 9.4 connecticut representClick image for larger version. 

Name:	A1855537-27DF-4D05-97A0-D9F631FFD340.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	578.2 KB 
ID:	411770

As a father of 4 i refuse to dirty another glass, this brewery taught me to appreciate drinking before I was 21.

Name:	214CD11E-6BEE-432D-92DE-9021FCEA316A.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	411781

Offset still producing great beers. the new batch of Divi in cans is quite nice PC, UT.

Heading back to MA for a week in June, between Metro West and Bourne/Cape Cod. I'm familiar with and like Castle Island, Start Line, Trillium, Treehouse, Jacks Abbey, Exhibit A, Night Shift, Wormtown. Craft Roots is on my list to hit this time (will be open when I'm close, finally). Any other ones not to miss?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Offset still producing great beers. the new batch of Divi in cans is quite nice PC, UT.

Heading back to MA for a week in June, between Metro West and Bourne/Cape Cod. I'm familiar with and like Castle Island, Start Line, Trillium, Treehouse, Jacks Abbey, Exhibit A, Night Shift, Wormtown. Craft Roots is on my list to hit this time (will be open when I'm close, finally). Any other ones not to miss?
    Other Half and Thin Man are very high on my list. Hill Farmstead and The Alchemist are classics but less my style. If you can find The Veil do it. All of those are outside of MA, but you might find some floating around.

Thanks, very familiar with the VT beers, generally spend a week up there each summer, this time spending it with pops in MA.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Unrelated to prior two posts, I picked up a couple of these for the first time in years. Pretty smooth, don't see DFH here much anymore.

Name:	PXL_20220508_023041242.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	926.1 KB 
ID:	415793