Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    So that'd be about -9 from center, stock is -8 on the current gen

My 187s are at -1 from the dimple and I doubt I would mind being another cm back.

Everytime this thread comes up i scour the internet for a pair of 187s or 192. I don't think I'd miss the Bibby's much if these replaced them.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Everytime this thread comes up i scour the internet for a pair of 187s or 192. I don't think I'd miss the Bibby's much if these replaced them.
    I have some 187's for sale

182 praxis gpo ul (med/stiff 4 flex)surf city graphic with dynafit radical st

Inserts for 297mm @ -1 and 277mm @ -1(one heel mount and 2 toe mounts possibly extra 2 inserts in each toe for non rad for the 297). Some light scrapes top and bottom, no core shots or any edge or sidewall deformations. I be put a candle of ptex in the base since I got these new and they've never been ground. $330 usd plus ship

187 praxis protest (standard flex and build)rastaman graphic with sth16's. 2 mounts for 297mm. On the dimple and current -1.5. No core shots or any edge or sidewall issue. Top sheet scrapes and one scratch in the base I can't get Perez to hold. Never been base ground. Probably a light base ground and edge and they'd be mint. $245 usd plus ship

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5030467

I'm considering selling my 187s actually as well. Standard layup, one mount for small Guardian 297mm @ -1cm. A little more expensive than grinch's, but only one mount. Bindings available too if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Actually....I think you might miss them, but not for the reason you expect. I have both 190 Bibbys and 187 Protest (medium flex with carbon layup, maybe 14/15s?).

They're pretty different. Bibbys are super versatile, and to me, ski best in resort chop. They drop and land cliffs very well. They carve decently. Definitely more of a one-ski quiver. But you definitely notice the sidecut in untracked, hooking and pulling, especially coming off the Protests. They are nowhere near as dynamic in deeper powder.

In uncut snow, the Protests blow the Bibbys out of the water -- they are buttery, easy-turning magic. They don't have quite the same monster-size stomp envelope that the Bibbys provide; they are more prone to wheelies, but they still do just fine on landings. Groomers are fine if boring. They do fine in chop, but once it gets set up into crud, you'd be happier on the Bibbys. That said, the Protests are also easier to turn than the Bibbys, even in bumps (which is a weird thing to say about 128 underfoot skis).

On sizing, if you have 184 Bibbys, go 187. If you have and like the 190s, I'd try to get a 192. I'm fine with my 187s, esp for touring, but for resort, I think the longer models might suit me better. I might go for a longer pair anyway because I like the Protests so damn much.

Anyway, by all means, buy a pair of Protests -- they are a revelation! They even make Bibbys feel just average in powder... And for the price offered above, that's a screamer.

Nice handle btw.
    Last edited by meter-man; 08-24-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Re: pricing

I haven't skied the Bibby's but I whole heartedly agree with EVERYTHING meter-man said here about the protest. I would add that they are a grip of fun even a couple days after a storm if your local hasn't been absolutely destroyed, and I've personally never had the wheelie issue with em
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Thanks meter-man -- that's helpful. Given that these would be an inbounds pow ski (have Lhasas mounted up for BC) and I live in the Front Range most pow days are 2-3 laps of untracked, another 2-3 lap of mostly untracked in the trees and then chop. Bibbys probably better reflect what I do ski vs what I wish I skied.

I'm on 184 Bibbys but that was more out of "holy fuck, $100 minty Bibbys" than whether I wanted to be on them versus 190s. I'm about to mount them back up after pulling off some Barons that were developing play. Sometimes feel like I wish I had a bit more tip which makes me think the 190s would be money. Given size of terrain here 187 probably makes more sense, but 192 doesn't sound like too much of a handful.

And fucking thanks TGR. You post one comment in the right thread and you have 3 potential offers.

Gear whores helping others to be gear whores.
    Just buy a pair of ProTest. You will not regret it and find yourself skiing them when you thought you wouldn't.

I don't feel I gave my protest a fair shake. I skied them once at BBI17 and had them mounted too far forward... then sold them to Kopi-Red :-( and bought a pair of EHP 193

TGR is essentially the opposite of the equivalent for AA for gear addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    TGR is essentially the opposite of the equivalent for AA for gear addicts.
    So many skis get sold on here with more mounts on them than days skied.

Yeah, I'm with meter-man. Something like a Bibby/Billy Goat/GPO really complements a Protest well. And for Front Range skiing I absolutely think that the Bibby category is a better resort pow day ski than a Protest - we just don't get enough untracked runs to justify the Protest most days.

That's why I'm thinking of selling my 187s. I screwed up by going Guardians on them and standard layup. I actually have a lighter pair coming (187 Enduro/carbon with veneer) that I'll mount up with tech bindings, since I really only ski the Protests in the BC anyway. I'll continue to ski my Billy Goats on most resort pow days.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yeah, I'm with meter-man. Something like a Bibby/Billy Goat/GPO really complements a Protest well. And for Front Range skiing I absolutely think that the Bibby category is a better resort pow day ski than a Protest - we just don't get enough untracked runs to justify the Protest most days.

That's why I'm thinking of selling my 187s. I screwed up by going Guardians on them and standard layup. I actually have a lighter pair coming (187 Enduro/carbon with veneer) that I'll mount up with tech bindings, since I really only ski the Protests in the BC anyway. I'll continue to ski my Billy Goats on most resort pow days.
    How much?

I'm thinking $350ish flat? Add $200ish if you want the binders too? They're pretty minty, no damage to speak of. Buck's beach topsheet.

Damn that's tempting. That would put me around -1.5. I so want to try the protest Kool aid.

I better log off now.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Damn that's tempting. That would put me around -1.5. I so want to try the protest Kool aid.

I better log off now.

That's the money spot as far as mount goes, imho.

In CO my protests will really only come out in days of 1 foot plus at the resort. Otherwise I'll have my Jeffrey 114s or my Quixotes. Hoping the 182 isn't too short. Will be interesting to compare to my brothers 186 2014 BGs. The protests certainly are still fun in less deep days

doe - adding to the convo and taking from our obvious shared love of the lhasa

been touring on lhasas for 6 years. been skiing inbounds pow on protests for 5. Just got a pair of 184 bibbys last season.

in terms of pow performance (anywhere from untouched to "once-overed") the protest is incomparable. it's like cheating. shit eating grin style, LOL'ing on the way back to the lift. (took a bit to figure out, almost entirely cured by going -1.0 to -1.5 back)

Personally, I'm pretty on the fence about the bibby. It's just not as fun in pow, and I've gotten comfortable enough with the Protest that is comes out anytime there is 5-6" or more. If it's less...the bibby just feels like a bit too much ski for the conditions and is just kinda..uninspiring. I was hoping the bibby would be my no new snow to a little new snow ski, but it just feels meh. I'm considering going with a inbound quiver of protest and something skinnier than a bibby. But I really only have a handful of days on the bibby so maybe my ah-ha moment awaits.

Personally, I would jump on the protest, stat. But based on your description of your typical resort day, the decision is a bit tougher. The protest is a decent chop ski, but it does take a bit of work. If I'm encountering a lot of chop on a run when on the protest, I usually decide it's time to go hiking for more untouched snow. If the whole place is chopped up, I'm going touring the next day anyway.

My $0.02, YMMV

DRINK THE KOOL-AID MAN.

There's a reason that fat motherfucking pitcher of sugar water could blast through walls. He was riding Protests.

Just do it - you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post

I better log off now.

^Heh. ProTest in dry snow chop fucking rule. In maritime chopped up snow I prefer a narrower ski to cut through it.

What meter-man said.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 08-25-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    In CO my protests will really only come out in days of 1 foot plus at the resort. Otherwise I'll have my Jeffrey 114s or my Quixotes. Hoping the 182 isn't too short. Will be interesting to compare to my brothers 186 2014 BGs. The protests certainly are still fun in less deep days
    I'm not sweating the 182 decision in the least. This place has a way of getting us out on the ledge instead of talking us down from it ;-)

I look at it this way ... we ski the Front Range ski areas and Summit for the most part. The Q's ski slightly longer than the GPOs. My 184 BG's ski slightly longer than my 182 GPOs. Therefore, my 182 Q's will ski about as long as my 184 BG's, which is plenty long for me (2015 BG's in 184 are the same as 2014, 186 BG's - with the chopped off tail being the difference).

The only question in my mind is whether the 182 Q's will render my 2015, 184 BGs redundant. I know ... the magic of RES. If they're really, really close to each other, I doubt I'll be loading both the Q's and BG's into the car on that day. I'd more likely load the Q's and my GPO's (remounted with Vipecs) for the possibility of sidecountry laps.

Now, watch me eat my words, and I certainly would have a very difficult time parting with the BG's. All of these questions will surely be answered by April ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-25-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    ^Heh. ProTest in dry snow chop fucking rule. In maritime chopped up snow I prefer a narrower ski to cut through it.
    Ah ha....this makes sense! I don't love the protest for maritime chop, but in dry snow chop I could certainly see how it just floats and bashes through everything in the way

The resurrection of this thread had me out in my garage fondling the 196s I bought after the season. Their antsy to get out. I still debate if I should have gone 192 (my preferred length), but a killer deal got me the 196. When does the season start?