Page 3 of 266 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ikon Pass

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on crowds. The overall skier numbers just aren't there for every ski area to become more crowded - it's still a big investment for new skiers to get in the game, and I don't think the people that have been skiing the smaller ski areas, which is a small amount to begin with, are all going to jump ship. And places like Squaw can't get any more crowded than they have been in recent years, there's literally no more room for people to get into the ski area. Hopefully just spreads people around and makes it cheaper and easier to ski different places.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

The pass isn't going to grow total skier days across the country. If it sucks some people away from SVAM by getting more people to ski out of state I'm all for it. Personally, a pass like that would only matter to me if it gave me 5 days at one location. I'm not going to travel for less than that and I have no interest in a resort to resort road trip.
    The business sense in this is that people who ski locally aren't buying rooms from the resort. If Altabird people go to JH, JH people go to SV, and SV people go to LCC all the resorts make more money on rooms and food, and all the skiers are poorer (but still rich).

The more I think about this the more I think it might be a good thing for Colorado.

This pass has serious potential to take business away from the epic pass and send skiers that would otherwise ski Colorado to Utah and other places

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The pass isn't going to grow total skier days across the country. If it sucks some people away from SVAM by getting more people to ski out of state I'm all for it. Personally, a pass like that would only matter to me if it gave me 5 days at one location. I'm not going to travel for less than that and I have no interest in a resort to resort road trip.
    The business sense in this is that people who ski locally aren't buying rooms from the resort. If Altabird people go to JH, JH people go to SV, and SV people go to LCC all the resorts make more money on rooms and food, and all the skiers are poorer (but still rich).
    Agreed, that five days at one area would certainly help ski area's bottom line (lodging dollars) and would certainly make road trips easier to boot. This two day per area thing with Mountain Collective isn't the best idea for a vacation ... unless you have a lot of time freedom, and even then, it's nice to hang at one spot for longer than two days.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    The more I think about this the more I think it might be a good thing for Colorado.

This pass has serious potential to take business away from the epic pass and send skiers that would otherwise ski Colorado to Utah and other places
    Unfortunately, I doubt it would have much positive effect on the weekend I-70 clusterfuck, but it might reduce crowding marginally at some areas. The Colorado resident buying this pass is likely to do most of his skiing locally, and head off for a trip or two during the Winter.

Of course, WTF do we know about how the pass will be structured? This topic has certainly prompted us to guess, so I guess the marketing team was effective. It reminds me of the old Rock Hudson/Doris Day film "Lover Come Back" where there was this product named VIP which was being promoted, but it had yet to be developed ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Agreed, that five days at one area would certainly help ski area's bottom line (lodging dollars) and would certainly make road trips easier to boot. This two day per area thing with Mountain Collective isn't the best idea for a vacation ... unless you have a lot of time freedom, and even then, it's nice to hang at one spot for longer than two days.

... Thom
    I think the half price additional days is a pretty good deal especially when the pass is $399.
    off your knees Louie

We don't want your coloradBROs. Thats why I'm pissed. The epic pass is a good thing for Utah skiing because it takes people out of LCC and sends them up to Park City etc. LCC is already at capacity, both from a parking standpoint and a skiers-on hill stand point.

We have to deal with the Park City bros AND the CO bros now? Not to mention the PC jerry and the CO jerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    We don't want your coloradBROs. Thats why I'm pissed. The epic pass is a good thing for Utah skiing because it takes people out of LCC and sends them up to Park City etc. LCC is already at capacity, both from a parking standpoint and a skiers-on hill stand point.

We have to deal with the Park City bros AND the CO bros now? Not to mention the PC jerry and the CO jerry.
    You are fucked

Didn’t you hear that LCC is the new I-70?

You are fucked

Didn’t you hear that LCC is the new I-70?
    1-70 is the Ebola of the ski world.

I’m guessing $800-900 for this

Wonder if it means the demise of the RMSP and RMSP+ or just an upgrade from them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I’m guessing $800-900 for this

Wonder if it means the demise of the RMSP and RMSP+ or just an upgrade from them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The website says the RMSP passes are not going to be sold next year.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    the lack of important info on this pass is disappointing but not surprising

They just added a FAQ page but it's still lacking a lot of information.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/faq/

So lame. I think they think they're creating buzz, but it's just an unfinished pile of crap somebody rolled out. Not a good sign for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    The website says the RMSP passes are not going to be sold next year.
    yeah, but that just means the product named RMSP isn't going to be sold, we may still see a similar option. Or maybe not. :shrug:
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What would be awesome would be if you could buy a pass with unlimited days at your choice of "home resort," and the pass would include limited days everywhere else.

What will probably actually happen is all of the Alterra owned resorts will be unlimited, and all of the partner resorts will have limited days. The partner resorts will probably also offer their own pass products.

Next year will probably be my first without a season pass. I just don't ski inbounds enough anymore to justify how much this is probably going to cost.

I too am frustrated by the lack of details but it doesn't seem like any multi mountain type pass is stating exactly what next year's deal will be, no?

edit - er, at least stateside.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post

This. I've only skied the LCC area once before, but I got the full sampling of what traffic can be like. At least you guys can be thankful that your crowding situation doesn't involve long driving distances like those living on the front range.

But having finally bought a mountain collective pass this season, I'm definitely setting my sights on a Utah trip. This Ikon Pass could be all smoke and mirrors, but if it has 5 or more days between Snowbird/Alta then it'll definitely draw more people to SLC next winter. In that case, I'll risk driving down this March.

But what about BC/Alberta and the PNW? Would love to see some places out there join up for a pass if they are going to be left out of Ikon.

I too find it odd that they are rolling this out this way. It seems like they don't really know what they are going to offer, and if they do, why roll it out like this? What is going to happen is people will form their ideal pass in their mind, and when details finally come out they won't match that ideal pass we created in our minds. We will all end up disappointed, kind of like your first time with a hooker...they never live up to our fantasies.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    What would be awesome would be if you could buy a pass with unlimited days at your choice of "home resort," and the pass would include limited days everywhere else.

What will probably actually happen is all of the Alterra owned resorts will be unlimited, and all of the partner resorts will have limited days. The partner resorts will probably also offer their own pass products.

Next year will probably be my first without a season pass. I just don't ski inbounds enough anymore to justify how much this is probably going to cost.
    I'm guessing there will be a product that's about the same cost and and same unrestricted mountains as the RMSP+. Only real change I expect is either more days elsewhere for the same cost or just a shuffling of the add on days like the CB and Steamboat days at about the same cost. Then probably add in a higher end option with more unlimited mountains.

But yeah, if its [edit] to become even more like [/edit] cable TV, paying more for a "bundle" that includes a bunch of days at Mt. Rahehipeau or whatever that I'm not gonna use just so I can get teh shit I need, that'll be lame. I just doubt it, the RMSP+ works so well, seems to anyway, from a sales perspective (though, the way shit's going, they could probably double the fucking price and see about a 1% decrease in sales).
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I too find it odd that they are rolling this out this way. It seems like they don't really know what they are going to offer, and if they do, why roll it out like this? What is going to happen is people will form their ideal pass in their mind, and when details finally come out they won't match that ideal pass we created in our minds. We will all end up disappointed, kind of like your first time with a hooker...they never live up to our fantasies.
    Seems like it has gotten every one of you guys interested. Draw people in, get them interested, then hit them with the price details. Seems like advertising 101 to me.

Why get your panties in a bunch over a pass that won't even be available till next season? Shit, I haven't even popped my MC cherry yet this season.

Not to mention, they announced during Outdoor Retailer. Judging from the Pugs posts, they had a significant presence there, with faux passes.

Name:  tricia.jpg
Views: 7573
Size:  73.9 KB Name:  phil.jpg
Views: 6751
Size:  104.2 KB

Phil says they've been told pricing will be announced mid-February.
    not counting days 2016-17

"And my adventure runs deep, so deep, it put her ass to sleep." - Ice Cube

"And my adventure runs deep, so deep, it put her ass to sleep." - Ice Cube
    I believe you are mistaking Jimmy for adventure my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I believe you are mistaking Jimmy for adventure my friend...
    I'm just wondering who thought that slogan was a good idea.

I'm just wondering who thought that slogan was a good idea.
    Some marketer who got paid $30K obviously. $10K a word