Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    For conditions, see my previous post.

Wood. Hanging Gardens does not go. Z Couloir looks amazing. Just give me hero snow and a good parking spot.

Gibbs.

Lewis.

North Couloir. This is a stunning amphitheater. I saw a fox near the apron of the couloir, which was a first.

I had wanted to summit if possible, but the snow was weird and wet and the summit descent puts you over some exposure. So instead I just skied the little chute below.

Looking down the North Couloir and toward Gibbs.

I tried to hit up Travertine on the way back, but it was jam packed with hot-spring people.

Thanks for photos and condition update.

Looks like fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Eastside Conditions Thread

Went down to lee vining this weekend to see if we could get high enough to put on our ski gear Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454912601.295339.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	891.0 KB 
ID:	176378

Turns out all you need at 1200 ft is just a base layer right now. Great boot packing conditions though Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454913433.802670.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	813.8 KB 
ID:	176384

The snow was good tooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454913352.071120.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	783.4 KB 
ID:	176383

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454912739.860718.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	176380

But the sunset was betterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454912811.960328.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	718.2 KB 
ID:	176381

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454913019.939474.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	779.7 KB 
ID:	176382
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1454912671.278624.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	813.8 KB 
ID:	176379  

Very nice to see some stoke in here!

Powfiend, I'm guessing by the photos you climbed up past the ice climbs, up chute out and dropped ripper?? How was the snow in both??

AKBruin, what roads did you use to approach Lewis?

Not that I'm gonna do either, I'm just a beta whore.

Was thinking of chasing some corn down there but the snowtels are showing it barely freezing up high (actually much colder on valley floors). After seeing these photos I'm thinking north facing up high, while not excellent, would be a better alternative.

Yup, we took the lazy mans approach. snowmobiles to ellery lake, skinned ellery upto chute out, where we boot packed. Snow was firm wintery in both chutes. Then death crust below with some stale pow in v bowl and more death crust in the forrest below.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Sick!

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    AKBruin, what roads did you use to approach Lewis?

Not that I'm gonna do either, I'm just a beta whore.

Was thinking of chasing some corn down there but the snowtels are showing it barely freezing up high (actually much colder on valley floors). After seeing these photos I'm thinking north facing up high, while not excellent, would be a better alternative.
    I parked by the little Parker Creek dam and walked for about 10 minutes before skinning up Sawmill Canyon Road.

Looks like things are finally filling in. Any info on mountains further south?
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

The worst death crust I've rode in my life was at the bottom of V bowl. Something about that place, lol.

And this shot! Wow!!!:
    Last edited by BGnight; 02-08-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Poked around Sawtooths and Lundy this weekend, snow was a bit variable and still thin in spots, but we had fun.

Kettle Peak (as you can see across the way the summit ramp to Walt is scoured):

Gilcrest Peak (the couloirs off the North side hold snow, but you have to piece the tops of them together):

Planning a 3 day trip for the middle of next week down 395 from Tahoe and I thought it might be helpful to have some input from you guys. The first debate is car camping with day skis or going in deeper and snow camping?

Thinking Trailheads South of Virginia Lakes to Bishop as the range, as I can ski VA Lakes North in a day and the best bet for coverage would be Bishop North. But maybe even as far south as Glacier Lodge could be ok? This leaves quite a few options.

I have plenty of ideas for day trips if we go the car camping route but if we want to hump a camp in does anyone have a suggestion on a zone? or an opinion on the following?

1) Mcgee creek out to a camp somewhere in the vicinity of Red and White and Red Slate
    2) Pine Creek with a camp in the vicinity of Royce Lakes

Obviously the options are endless but I would bet you guys have some worth while first hand experience and general input. Terrain wise at this moment it seems like N-E facing chutes/gullies/couloirs are likely going to be the best overall bet but it would be nice to camp somewhere with access to numerous aspects. Thinking the further west towards the crest the better from that standpoint.

Thanks in advance.

Planning to head to the East Side this week. Heading to Bridgeport, planning on camping sat/sun nights.
    Planning to leave sf sometime this friday, before or after traffic.
    Looking at kettle peak and/or hulk couloir?
    Driving back to San Francisco Monday pm.

PM w interest!

Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post

Kettle Peak (as you can see across the way the summit ramp to Walt is scoured):

Thanks for the beta! Can you skin from mono village or do you need to hoof it for a bit?

nice updates. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever... View Post
    Planning a 3 day trip for the middle of next week down 395 from Tahoe and I thought it might be helpful to have some input from you guys. The first debate is car camping with day skis or going in deeper and snow camping?

Thinking Trailheads South of Virginia Lakes to Bishop as the range, as I can ski VA Lakes North in a day and the best bet for coverage would be Bishop North. But maybe even as far south as Glacier Lodge could be ok? This leaves quite a few options.

I have plenty of ideas for day trips if we go the car camping route but if we want to hump a camp in does anyone have a suggestion on a zone? or an opinion on the following?

1) Mcgee creek out to a camp somewhere in the vicinity of Red and White and Red Slate
    2) Pine Creek with a camp in the vicinity of Royce Lakes

Obviously the options are endless but I would bet you guys have some worth while first hand experience and general input. Terrain wise at this moment it seems like N-E facing chutes/gullies/couloirs are likely going to be the best overall bet but it would be nice to camp somewhere with access to numerous aspects. Thinking the further west towards the crest the better from that standpoint.

Thanks in advance.
    ritter...... or go over duck pass n ski the stuff on the over side of duck lake..... red slate.

Thanks for the feedback. Hadnt thought about Ritter/Banner.

As a tangent to this I was hoping to head out on a one day scouting trip just to get a feel for overall snow surface conditions. Thinking Twin Lakes Thursday. Something/anything up the Horse Creek drain. If anyone out there happens to have any interest I am short a partner at this moment. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    ritter...... or go over duck pass n ski the stuff on the over side of duck lake..... red slate.

With a weather window like this, I'd be looking at the SE line on Ritter if you go back there. Definitely on my tick list.

Rock Creek another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Just do mt mendel. 20 people have done it already this year.

We need a refresh is what we need. I always get hyped by pictures then go down and realize it's all breakable crust and wind board. I'm not falling for it!
    I've wasted too much time and gas on bogus missions down there. Old and wiser I am (and a lazy powder whore)
    That last 2 day, east wind event probably didn't help things either.

Red slate will be blower. Ritter will be perfect corn. I saw pictures on FB of people straight-lining 3rd Pillar.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Yea I saw those too. and of those 20 folks on Mendel. Weird eh?

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD_2505 View Post
    Red slate will be blower. Ritter will be perfect corn. I saw pictures on FB of people straight-lining 3rd Pillar.

Probably headed south for the weekend as well, may start in Twin Lakes on Saturday depending on wind, was thinking Victoria, high of 48 at 10k but windy, will have to see. Highly weather dependent as I am aspiring to be an old, wise, lazy powder whore.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Nice to see things filling in. Forgot what some of those places look like with snow. Its gonna get way better too. That's because Im out till april/may due to injury. Of course its fantastic

but

Enjoy

Anyone looking to poke around with day trips Mon-Wed? Obligations are out of town and I'll be heading south from Tahoe. Always more fun with a partner.

Sorry about the injury TEXASS. At least you'll be back for the prime season.

Any corn reports? Looks like it'll be cool enough to freeze at night but hot as hell during the day.