Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    ^^^^Nice! I hear NZ has been great.

Anyone got a pair of 192 or 196s in Tahoe I can take for a spin? I'll lend you....my 187s. Or some Bibbys.
    If you make it up to Wyoming you are welcome to try take my 196s for a spin. They are medium flex with carbon. They Navajo top Protests that at least 5 of us have owned.

What amazed me was how easy Protests were to ski once the powder got cut up. It was just relaxing, and fun. I do need to move the mount point back a few cm, the demo bindings are too far forward, but even then, they are just easy!

Received my 187 with veneer and carbon. Surprised by how light they are. Now to begin the endless "where to mount" over thinking process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johnykim View Post
    Received my 187 with veneer and carbon. Surprised by how light they are. Now to begin the endless "where to mount" over thinking process.

Gorgeous.

Re mount point, Protests have a huge sweet spot. There's lots of info in various Praxis threads, but I think it'd be hard to go wrong. My personal view is the Keith knows best, and that right on the dimple is perfect. I've had zero tip dive (more trad style).

One of the true joys of the Protests is that you can go from a huge carved turn to a high speed drift/slarve with the tiniest roll of your ankles. The farther back you mount, the more you would jeopardise that.

I'll probably go with the set them on the floor in the living room and stand on them and pretend to ski method before I mount. Its tried-and-true in has never let me down

Damn they look nice

That book-matched veneer is sexy. Making me think twice about wanting all-black customs...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Gorgeous.

Re mount point, Protests have a huge sweet spot. There's lots of info in various Praxis threads, but I think it'd be hard to go wrong. My personal view is the Keith knows best, and that right on the dimple is perfect. I've had zero tip dive (more trad style).

One of the true joys of the Protests is that you can go from a huge carved turn to a high speed drift/slarve with the tiniest roll of your ankles. The farther back you mount, the more you would jeopardise that.
    yeah...will most likely mount at recommended. figure Keith would know best since he designed the skis. can't wait till winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Gorgeous.

I went 102.5 from the tip on 188's and they freaking rule there. Can do all the above without a thought. I would like to get on the 192 though, I would probably go on the line. 5'10 195lbs of twisted steal and sex appeal. 306bsl. If I was on the smaller side, I would go on the line or back 1 at the most.

Be wary of what you read about mounting points. The ski has been around for almost 8 years and Keith has slightly modified the shape and mounting point at least once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

'Tis true.^

Thoughts on mounting a pair of Salomon MTN tech bindings on Protests?

Currently, mine are mounted with Griffons. But, I will be going to Japan and want to cut down on boots that I will be packing. 145#. Driven by TLT6s.

What layup

I thought skiing my GPOs with TLT6s was terrifying. No way would I try to drive a Protest with that boot.
    Of course, you may have more finesse and skill than me.
    I don't think the binding would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I thought skiing my GPOs with TLT6s was terrifying. No way would I try to drive a Protest with that boot.
    Of course, you may have more finesse and skill than me.
    I don't think the binding would be a problem.
    Counterpoint: not personal experience here, but I distinctly remember reading multiple people on here extolling the virtues of skiing Protests in soft boots. Weird as that seems. Must have been a couple years back, dunno which thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wawawa View Post
    Counterpoint: not personal experience here, but I distinctly remember reading multiple people on here extolling the virtues of skiing Protests in soft boots. Weird as that seems. Must have been a couple years back, dunno which thread.
    It's not that a tlt6 is soft per se. It's plenty stiff I'd think. But it lacks a progressive flex for absorbing the inconsistencies of 3D snow where the Protest excels, it lacks ballast to smooth out the ride, and it lacks a high cuff all around to aid in tipping such a wide ski.

I'd rather ski a 6 Flex Full Tilt on a Protest which is softer than a TLT6.

I've never skied the TLT6 / Protest combo so I definitely could be wrong. But I'm adding a beefier touring boot (than my TLT5s) for my Lhasa Pows for the reasons described above.

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    Thoughts on mounting a pair of Salomon MTN tech bindings on Protests?

Currently, mine are mounted with Griffons. But, I will be going to Japan and want to cut down on boots that I will be packing. 145#. Driven by TLT6s.
    I have about 50 days of touring in Japan on Protests with Dynafit Radicals and Maestrales (mango). Apart from one Radical heel doing its explodomat thing I have been stoked with this setup.

I would happily mount a future pair with ATK 14s and run a lighter boot like Scarpa F1 Evo or Atomic Backland. In good pow it's a shame diluting the Protest feel with a super stiff boot IMHO.

Stoke is real - finally got around to mounting up my new pair of 192, endure core, 3 flex, Birdseye veneer vice versa graphic.

Some stats -
    Tip to tail straight pull: 191.1cm (I fee like I remember this being shorter on my last pair, could be my imagination)

Dimple is true -8 from center. I went back -9.25 or so.

Weight on the old ass scale I was using said 9.65lbs, a little heavier than I thought. With bindings 14.5 lbs which isn't bad at all for a ski this size.

Love the way the graphic looks with the bindings. Bases seem a little dry but nothing a quick wax won't fix

^^^ those are sick, muggydude

Any comments on mounting my Protests to for use as a multi-day hut-trip ski?? I have a 10-day trip this winter (including 7 days at a hut in interior BC), and am concerned that my EW issues are worse than initially thought, so I might need to mount up my Protests with Kingpins and bring those. I can only bring one pair.

I have the 187s, which should be perfect for pow touring. We did 4-7k days last year, 7 days in a row, so I was curious if others had wrestle those 128 waists up and down mountains for continuous days. After writing this, I think my question is dumb, I should just mount the damn skis, and commence slaying. Huzzah!
    Last edited by meter-man; 12-15-2017 at 07:28 PM.

I think my question is dumb, I should just mount the damn skis, and commence slaying. Huzzah!
    Yuppers
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Yuppers
    Yup

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Any comments on mounting my Protests to for use as a multi-day hut-trip ski?? I have a 10-day trip this winter (including 7 days at a hut in interior BC), and am concerned that my EW issues are worse than initially thought, so I might need to mount up my Protests with Kingpins and bring those. I can only bring one pair.

I have the 187s, which should be perfect for pow touring. We did 4-7k days last year, 7 days in a row, so I was curious if others had wrestle those 128 waists up and down mountains for continuous days. After writing this, I think my question is dumb, I should just mount the damn skis, and commence slaying. Huzzah!
    Thank you maggots (and myself) for leading me through this difficult time. The first step is acceptance...

Mounted at -.75

So I remember for the future: 13/14 187 carbons weighed in at 2065 g/ski. Unknown stiffness (med+ ??).
    sproing!

Why is your fourth toe so short?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Why is your fourth toe so short?
    His kind has evolved to fit even the narrowest toe boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    His kind has evolved to fit even the narrowest toe boxes.
    "Lange foot" disease.